Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've read different opinions as to whether you can stretch your sleeve by overeating. I'm curious to know what your doctor says. If your sleeve can be stretched, can drinking a large glass of Water quickly also stretch it. This week on my 600 pound life I heard the doctor say the sleeve could be stretched.

Steel can be stretched, wood can be stretched, bones can be stretched. Given that, I find it very hard to believe that the soft tissue comprising your stomach can't be stretched . . . is my stomach somehow less "stretchy" than steel, bone, or wood? I doubt it! I think it would be extremely difficult to stretch it to its former size though.

On the other hand, can Water stretch it? Nope, liquids go right through the pyloric valve and cannot stretch your stomach, so no worries there.

@@Jamieson

Not really. Does it give over time, sure. Does it heal, yes.

Every single person that I had ever read a post by that said sleeve had stretched was eating sliders, carbs and Proteins that had almost no density.

Sleeves don't stretch enough to make a real difference. People don't use the sleeve the way it is supposed to be used.

Yes!! It can. If you go back to your old eating habits and food intake amounts, it will stretch!! Trust me, I KNOW!!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

My doctor said it cannot - that the portion being removed is the portion that was designed to stretch. However, what's left can "give" a little if constantly pushed to the limits, but it won't stretch like the portion removed could. This is why you can reset the sleeve if your eating habits go south.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

It might stretch a little but you'd have to work really hard to get it anywhere near where it was pre-surgery.

Mine said it starts out about 4 oz and settles at about 6-8 oz. So it you feel it's more restrictive at the start than at a year out, you're right.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I've been told that the stomach can't really stretch, but you can do damage to/stretch out the valve -- which, basically, amounts to the same thing, since it means that things'll go straight through you and you'll be lacking a lot of the restriction which is the entire point of the surgery.

As for the Water you wouldn't be able to drink a glass of Water fast. It's like a funnel, those first couple drips go in ok but then it starts to back up. Even a large gulp can make you burp a bunch haha

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by NoMoreFatFA