Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fellow Plant-Based Eaters, Let's Post! (CHALLENGE)

Happy new year to everyone!

Like others who've posted on this forum, I want to move towards a more plant-based diet. For my, my goal is hopefully to return to being mostly vegan (I've gotten re-hooked on cheese, ugh!)

There aren't many of us out there, and we are constantly subjected to misinformation -- even criticism -- about how we "need" to eat animals products regularly.

So here's the challenge: pick one day a week and post on this thread on that day EVERY WEEK until Valentine Day. Post more if you want; once a week S the minimum.

Post about anything you want -- what you ate that day, what you wish you'd eaten, something funny your cat did...anything goes! Let's just start supporting each other by simply letting other veg*n & " eg*n wannabes" know they aren't alone.

Who's in?

I was a vegetarian for years. After surgery I added fish back in occasionally. The thought of eating chicken, beef or pork makes me feel ill. After 15 months, I am getting very tired of my staple foods, but not sure how to expand without adding meat. Also would like to cut down the amount of dairy (yogurt and cheese) that I eat.

I strived to go total vegan after my RNY but it took awhile to do it because of outside influences. I'm now thankfully a complete vegan. My PCP does my blood work every 6 months and I do my own injections of B12 once a month. Just so everyone knows, I feel great about it.

I would love to go vegetarian but am highly reactive to soy which is problematic to meeting Protein goals. Any suggestions from the vegans?

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Here's a link to help you get started but there's much more. Just look it up on the web.

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/natural-health/soy-free-vegan-foods-that-have-more-protein-than-beef/

Vegans eating varied diets containing vegetables, Beans, grains, nuts, and seeds rarely have any difficulty getting enough Protein as long as their diet contains enough energy (calories) to maintain weight. Only Vitamin B12 will have to be supplemented. Good luck in your journey.

Long time vegan but short time sleever (11 days) but still a vegan. I've been mixing my Protein Shakes between pea Protein (unjury) and soy protein (jarrow). My NUT Thinks I'll have to continue with protein shakes long term to meet my protein goal. I hope not. But I am wondering why do I need to keep up with 70 grams of protein daily once I reach my goal. I always thought to much protein leaches Calcium. I completely understand the logic at this point, to promote healing and help with weight loss.

I didn't. I do a lot of bean meals that I love and have had blood work every six months. Blood results still looking good and I feel great.

Well, I'm back for my second week post. I am onto the puréed phase and I am finding it difficult to meet Protein goals without the powder given the small volume I can consume. I've mixed protein powders in with my puréed veggies and Beans but I would really like to get to the point that I'm meeting my protein goals from whole foods not powders. Anyone out there at an early point (when the restriction is so high) able to get 70 grams of protein in with food. I can't eat a whole serving of beans and can't eat nuts or seeds at all yet. Otherwise though, I'm feeling great. My energy is good and the weight is coming off.

Not a vegan (anymore) but I find Protein shakes and Protein Bars still useful, especially on very busy days (Clif Builder Bars are vegan and there are more out there; even decent tasting low-carb ones if you want to take the low-carb road). If I wouldn't be so lazy I would make my own bars from time to time to get more variety.

As for vegan Protein food you might want to check out the "Protein Ninja" cook book as well.

@@talkingmountain I would love to know more about your diet! I find myself eating more and more of a plant based diet, yet I feel like I need to eat more often then not, and I know I could never eat as much produce as some of the Vegans I know, not even a 1/16th! Please share how you do it, what you eat! Needing some inspiration! :)

Long time vegan but short time sleever (11 days) but still a vegan. I've been mixing my Protein shakes between pea Protein (unjury) and soy protein (jarrow). My NUT Thinks I'll have to continue with Protein Shakes long term to meet my protein goal. I hope not. But I am wondering why do I need to keep up with 70 grams of protein daily once I reach my goal. I always thought to much protein leaches Calcium. I completely understand the logic at this point, to promote healing and help with weight loss.

Protein Overload:::

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2004nl/040100puproteinoverload.htm

Would love to know what everybody's thoughts are on this protein article.

@ I read this article as well as others discussing the burden of excess Protein (though i unfortunately cannot site them) a while ago which is why I am concerned with all this protein in the long run. I've figured out about 45-65(absolute max) is all I would need to consume and the max assumes I'm doing a good amount of strength training. I just wish there was an article specifically about bariatric patients and any needs they might have outside the norm. Also I really don't want to fill my sleeve entirely with protein dense foods skipping veggies that provide some many nutrients. Seems like the bariatric NUTs believe you can get all your Vitamins from a supplement something I know is not true!