Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery is booked and I have mixed feelings

I'm scheduled to have gastric sleeve surgery on 14 Jan 2017. I will start my full liquid diet on 1 Jan 2017 (what better way to start the new year!). I feel both scared and exasperated at the same time. I need to have this surgery. Im 30 years old, morbidly obese and scared that whilst I'm not sick at the moment, the future will be bleak. The idea of surgery scares me, I've never had surgery in my life. It's a very serious operation and I'm afraid of not waking up or suffering some sort of irreparable damage. On the other hand, I just want it to be over and done with and be fully healed and get on with my life. HELP! How did you deal with pre surgery anxiety?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

One of the things that made me relaxed was knowing that I had a room full of highly trained people who just wanted me to be safe taking care of me. That's their job and they're only there for you during that time.

I was worried about not waking up, but now that I've gone through surgery, I'm no longer concerned about anesthesia.

Thanks for replying. I trust my surgeon, she has a good reputation not only for her skill but also for her after care. I'm just nervous about the pain, the struggles I'm going to face. However I have to believe it will all be worth it in the end and I need to just stay strong!

I think we have all felt all the feelings and thoughts you have pre-surgery. Very normal. Maybe look at this as a process, journey whatever resinates with you. Do your checklist again

- why Im having surgery

- surgeon credentials

- well informed of risks

- after care

- support

- possitive gains

Then go for it! Your still going to probably be nervous on the day - but thats good. Others arent - we are all different and so is the journey. As for pain - everyone is different again. Thats what meds are for! Just remember it all goes. Have faith in your surgical team, they have done this before. All the very best mate. Heres to a new you!

PS- just follow your pre op diet. Its important. Its also disgusting hahaha but everyone is different! Hahaha! Its all for the greater!

Sent from my SM-G925I using the BariatricPal App

im going through it now Trill! there is nothing i can say to get make things better. just take it one day at a time. im sitting in hospital now and my stomach is turning-im very anxious.

Sent from my iPhone

I booked my surgery two weeks ago and like you, have mixed feelings. Right now I'm mostly depressed that I "let" myself get into the situation where surgery seems to be my only option.

Other times I'm excited to be the activity partner my family deserves.

I don't have much else to add to the other's great comments, except that I'm an RN so I've seen the "behind the curtain" of surgery and recovery. That can either give you a lot of confidence in healthcare or scare the pants off of you. My experience is that it gives me a lot of confidence. Even though I've run across a few (very few, thank goodness) complete idiots in my career, healthcare has a lot of checks and balances so the rare idiot doesn't get a chance to cause a real problem for a patient. And surgery has more checks and balances and better-trained and more experienced personnel than most other areas of healthcare. You really can rest assured that you will be monitored continuously during surgery and recovery and they are prepared to handle anything that comes up.

I'm exactly like you! My sleeve is january 12! 35 and never had any surgeries, have all the same fears!! Let's be sleeve buddies. We can calm each other!

I'm exactly like you! My sleeve is january 12! 35 and never had any surgeries, have all the same fears!! Let's be sleeve buddies. We can calm each other!

Yes! Let's be buddies and get through this together! Best of luck with your surgery

I was as scared as a little girl contemplating my surgery. It was my first experience with surgery as well, and I had all the worries about things going hideously wrong. I was reasonably confident in the doc and his team, most of whom I never met, but confident because of their track record.

I'm a little different than a lot of people though, because I am a Christian. Some will scoff, but I put my faith in God's will for my life. That did not exactly take away my fear, but it allowed me to deal with it and get through it. This is not a post to tell you you need to get saved and all will be fine. This is just telling you how I made it through. But if you do believe in God, this might be a good time to discuss it with him.

"Courage is fear holding on a minute longer." George Patton

Edited by LittleBill

I'm with you, @@Monigirl76 and @@clevergirl . My surgery is scheduled for January 30 and I'm nervous and doing a lot of second guessing. All I can say is I really appreciate the expertise and compassion of my care team. Every one of them has been extraordinary. I jokingly asked the surgeon what his kill rate was, and it turns out nobody in his care has died yet! He has a great reputation. Maybe weigh the known risks of continuing on your current path with the risks of surgery?

My surgeon showed me all sorts of pictures of the various complications that can occur, along with stats of how frequently the occur with each surgery both nationally and among his patients. I love stats and work with them a lot so that spoke to me.

Edited by Hollyhock

@@Trill I'm scheduled for surgery January 20th, the surgery jitters haven't fully kicked in yet but trust me they will shortly. I have to do a high Protein diet for two weeks, then clear liquid for 2-3 days. I'll probably just do a full liquid for two weeks to train my body, get my mind right.

Yes! Let's be buddies and get through this together! Best of luck with your surgery

Yes!! Email me or message me, if that's even possible. I start preop next Monday the 1st and I'm going shopping this week for everything including all my post op essentials!! We can do this!