Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve Over Lap Band?

Hi Guys...

Just wondering why so many chose the sleeve over a lap band?

Lap band seems less evasive and can be reversed.

Sleeve is permanent and obviously more can go wrong.

I just trying a lap band first would be a better option.

Just looking for some feedback as to why you chose what you chose.

Thanks Guys.... :)

Jim

I was originally set on getting the Lap Band until I found this community. I read a lot of horror stories about the Lap Band and so many cases of people getting the Lap Band and eventually having to get the sleeve. I know there are plenty of success stores for the Lap Band but I am so unlucky in life that I knew I would be one of the cases where the Lap Band failed haha. There are pros and cons with both but this community really helped me to get various views on both surgery types. I opted for the sleeve at the end of the day.

And apparently I found myself in the men chat by clicking on recent posts instead of going the long way to topics. Sorry! Story of my life lol.

I had a friend who had the lap band and had to have it removed due to complications. My brother got the sleeve 2 years ago and it's changed his life. He lost a lot of weight and is off insulin. I get sleeved tomorrow morning :-)

Sent from my 710C using the BariatricPal App

although the lap band can be reversed it requires another surgery to do so.....and actually was one of the reasons I decided on the sleeve. I didn't want anything temporary...I know the lap band isn't considered temporary, but having to have fills and that sort of thing bothered me as well......and then while reading this forum I saw where a lot of people were having problems with their lap bands and actually having them removed and having the sleeve......there seems to be a lot of people here going from band to sleeve. I'm very happy with my decision!!

I had a friend who had the lap band and had to have it removed due to complications. My brother got the sleeve 2 years ago and it's changed his life. He lost a lot of weight and is off insulin. I get sleeved tomorrow morning :-)

Sent from my 710C using the BariatricPal App

Good luck on surgery tomorrow.. Great you have your brother to be hands on with the experience..

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

I chose the sleeve because I researched for 3yrs on a procedure n struggled 20yrs on my weight..My decision for permanent was a 3yr process..the thought of a plastic to stop me from eating n periodic tightening just didnt sit right with me..any decision you make..make it for you and what you can live with...good luck to you..

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

My sister was banded 12 years ago and has lost over 100 pounds without complications. I was banded in October and feel great. I believe compliance of the patient and skill of the surgeon impact the outcome. I went to a center of excellence and took 6 months of classes. I learned about the three surgical options and we evaluated my ability to be compliant, etc.

Had lapband surgery 10/12/16

My surgeon told me that they dont even offer the band anymore. There are complication that can happen that require another surgery and i sometimes ins doesnt cover it. It has nothing to do with compliance to your diet and the competence of the surgeon. Plus the results just arent as good as with the sleeve.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the BariatricPal App

All bariatric surgeons are different and what they recommend will vary. Complications can happen with any surgery, and I do believe compliance plays a part. I trust my surgeon and what I learned about the surgical options. I'm comfortable with the decision I made with my surgeon. Each person needs to decide what is best for them and their lifestyle. Good luck to you.

Had lapband surgery 10/12/16

Edited by Treadmillwalker

My surgeon is phasing out the band as well. For me it didn't make sense to choose something just because it is reversible. I have no desire to have another surgery and I can't see how I will ever NOT need help battling overeating.

My surgeon doesn't do the,lap band anymore either.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

I just didn't like the idea of having a object inside of me and after all my research I seen that a lot of lapband ppl have it removed and get sleeved anyway.... Also the risk with the sleeve is very low.

Thanks for the input guys....

To be honest...when I decided to do the surgery I didn't even consider the sleeve.

I thought of the gastic bypass, and it kinda made me nervous... cutting out part of your stomach...lol.

I wish I would have found this site 3 months ago instead of post op.

But.... the band is in, and I have to work with the band tolose my weight.

All good.

I will just have to be one of those success stories we read on the Lap Band pages....lol.

Have A Great Day!!!!