Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

anyone here from the midwest (USA)?

I have just found this site and am considering the lap band...I have been reading the threads here and am very encouraged...However, I have not chosen a Dr or a clinic..was wondering if anyone here is from the midwest (USA) and would have some insight on where to go? I am taking my time and doing the research! Also, need to find out if my insurance will pay!

I'm from the Chicago area and new to this website.I have an appointment with the Dr on 9-28. I will be going to Silver Cross Hospital with Dr. Joyce.

Hello & welcome to the site!

There are many midwesterners here. Where are you in the midwest? I'm in Kansas and there are several well-known doctors here in my local area. I'm sure there are several in your area. As far as insurance, you can always call your insurance and ask for a list of bariatric doctors that are on your insurance plan and go from there to help narrow down doctors.

Thanks for all the help!! I will check with my insurance...by the way I am from Iowa and have family in Overland Park, KS so can go either way here or there to have it done....

May I ask another question that is bothering me? What happens when you get the stomach flu??? Will that cause a problem with the band or can the Dr. give you something to help you from vomiting??

Hi Miss Nana! I am from Iowa, too! I went to Dr. Glascock in Cedar Falls. He is excellent.

I had the stomach flu yesterday. I threw up several times. I am concerned as I am only 1 month post-op. I am doing liquids for a few days to calm things down. I did take some medication for nausea, but it was too late. I was concerned about slipping, but I think I am ok.

Good luck on your surgeon search!

Thanks for all the help!! I will check with my insurance...by the way I am from Iowa and have family in Overland Park, KS so can go either way here or there to have it done....

May I ask another question that is bothering me? What happens when you get the stomach flu??? Will that cause a problem with the band or can the Dr. give you something to help you from vomiting??

Miss Nana-

I am in Kansas and had my surgery in Overland Park. I was banded by Dr. Stephen Malley (his office is in Mission, KS). I just had my first fill at his office. So far I've had a wonderful experience with him and his staff. If you have any questions about him feel free to ask! Including me, there are several Malley patients on the board if you have additonal questions about him.

At the seminar I remember people asking about what happens if you get the stomach flu or get food poisoning or something and throw up. The doctor said he'd likely prescribe something to stop the vomiting.

Again, thanks for all your help! I will be getting in touch with my insurance to see if they will pay and if so where I can go...By the way, I saw Dr. Mally's commercial on KCTV...glad to hear you like him!!!

Hi, I live in Independence Missouri, and am currently jumping through the hoops that my insurance company requires to be able to have the surgery.I weigh in at 256 pounds and need to be at 154 or lower to be considered healthy. I too am going to have Dr. Stephen Malley do mine. He told us in the seminar that for sickness like flu even if you do throw up, your band isn't going to slip. It's the people that keep eating the wrong thing and trying to max out there eating (not changing any of there bad habits)and are throwing up on a regular basis that there would be a slippage problem.

I am on month two of a three month diet and exercise program with my physician. Then everything is sent off to the insurance company. And then I wait for final approval. Looks like my surgery won't be until the end or the first of the year. But, that's OK, it'll all be worth it in the end. As long as I start to look HOT by summer time. Susan:)

It's going to depend on what your insurance needs to have done prior to them covering your surgery. Everybody's is different. I have a friend who is thinking about it and her doctor doesn't require any pre-dieting plan before she can have it done. And others I know have to do a diet and exercise regime(like mine) for 6 months. You just need to check with your insurance and see what they require.:whoo:

I too am a Dr.Malley patient....LOVE HIM!!! banded on 9/6 - doing super!!! He is very realistic and doesn't put you on a pre-op unless you need it (I didn't) He is also realistic when it comes to post-op eating...said if he tried to put me on all liquids for weeks I (and most patients) would cheat anyway, so he would rather give wider range post-op diet and know what we are eating...he is a no frills kinda guy - simple, and truthful, I trust him 100%. He did my mom 2years ago as well.

Thanks for the reply...I am checking into my insurance and will go from there....After reading several of the threads about Dr. Malley, I am leaning in favor of him.