Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 Years Post-Op Reflections w Pics

I've always been hesitant to post on this board because the title "Tell Your Story" just makes me feel like it implies you have a complete and finished story to tell. I've not felt before this point like I came full circle. I don't think this journey ever ends, but at 3 years post op, losing 140 pounds, having had skin removal, becoming very ill, having a little regain, battling back and losing it, facing down my eating disorder, I feel like I have some perspective and that things have really come full circle.

I wrote a post on my blog about it, with some of my favorite pictures from the journey. If you are considering WLS, or new to the journey and feeling discouraged, I would strongly urge you to read it. It gives you the full picture of my journey and the struggles and the victories.

Enjoy!

themeiamnow.blogspot.com

Amazing. Congratulations to you. This is hard work really hard work. I have my surgery in December. I've been battling an eating disorder my whole life. This surgery is just a tool to help, that I know. However, I can't seem to find information on those with eating disorders and weight loss surgery...very interesting if you ask me. Thank you for your honesty here. Do you mind sharing a little bit about what it's like having the surgery and battling the disorder? Does surgery help at all? Does it have force you to face all the emotions that lead us to use food? Very curious how this plays out. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Sent from my XT1585 using the BariatricPal App

Amazing. Congratulations to you. This is hard work really hard work. I have my surgery in December. I've been battling an eating disorder my whole life. This surgery is just a tool to help, that I know. However, I can't seem to find information on those with eating disorders and weight loss surgery...very interesting if you ask me. Thank you for your honesty here. Do you mind sharing a little bit about what it's like having the surgery and battling the disorder? Does surgery help at all? Does it have force you to face all the emotions that lead us to use food? Very curious how this plays out. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Sent from my XT1585 using the BariatricPal App

Great questions. First, I would say if you haven't already, find a good eating disorder therapist to work with. That has made all the difference for me. In my teen years and early in adulthood I struggled with anorexia and got very, very thin. Then after having children and being "forced" in some ways to have to gain weight for the pregnancies, I kind of swung in the other direction and developed binge eating disorder, which let me to the sleeve surgery. After surgery the weight flew off and the constant counting of calories, carbs, Proteins, etc. along with the rapid weight loss really reignited those obsessive thoughts about food and I found myself struggling again with anorexia.

For me, it wasn't until I began therapy at 10 months post op and 38 years old that I realized I ever even had any eating disorder at all, let alone one that consumed so much of my time, energy, and thoughts. Therapy really helped me to identify the behaviors and naming them in some way really helped. I've been able to focus on the "why" of my eating issues and that has made all the difference in the long term success. I didn't need someone telling me "what" to eat. I'd been on so many diets I could have been a nutritionist...lol. What I needed to understand was why I was sabotaging myself.

So, that was a lengthy answer, but my take-away would be that it is GREAT that you are asking these questions right now. I think going into the surgery already knowing some of these things would have been SO good for me. I think if you go into it knowing yourself, knowing you have that history and really working with someone to help you stay in check if those behaviors start resurfacing you will be really successful! Good luck to you!