Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just got sleeved on Wednesday and I live with my grandparents, my Mamaw is a smoker and my dr scared me that I couldn't be around her because of the second hand smoke could cause a leak. I explained everything to her and tried to make her understand, then this morning I get up and go to the living room and I hear her lighting up in the kitchen. Idk what to do, I have fri mad who have offered to let me stay there but I have son and idk how logical it would be to uproot him for 6 weeks. I'm panicking and so scared I'll leak and it hurts me so bad she couldn't stop smoking for me or at least go outside. So now I'm hulled up in my bed with a towel under the door and my window open.

How likely is a leak to occur with second hand smoke?? Did you ask your surgeon this or did you just hear this ? It makes sense to me that it could happen to smokers and second hand smoke definitely is not good but it's still not a direct insult to your insides so I'm just wondering how great the risk really is especially when leaks are also relatively rare as well.

You could ask your mom one more time if she could please at least go outside and smoke whike you're healing because you don't want to end up ii. The hospital or having more surgery again dye to her smoking!! A tiny guilt trip!!

If she doesn't cooperate and your surgeon feels tge risk is that great or you're that fearful, maybe it's best to stay with a friend for awhile. As for your child...I always say kids are quite resilient especially when they are kept in the loop. They want their parents , to be with them and to be loved. It might be fun to go spend sometime with mom at another friends house unless you have the kind of child that is real stuck in a specific routine, doesn't like to sleep away from home and so on. That might be a problem but otherwise, it might be good for every one.

How likely is a leak to occur with second hand smoke?? Did you ask your surgeon this or did you just hear this ? It makes sense to me that it could happen to smokers and second hand smoke definitely is not good but it's still not a direct insult to your insides so I'm just wondering how great the risk really is especially when leaks are also relatively rare as well.

You could ask your mom one more time if she could please at least go outside and smoke whike you're healing because you don't want to end up ii. The hospital or having more surgery again dye to her smoking!! A tiny guilt trip!!

If she doesn't cooperate and your surgeon feels tge risk is that great or you're that fearful, maybe it's best to stay with a friend for awhile. As for your child...I always say kids are quite resilient especially when they are kept in the loop. They want their parents , to be with them and to be loved. It might be fun to go spend sometime with mom at another friends house unless you have the kind of child that is real stuck in a specific routine, doesn't like to sleep away from home and so on. That might be a problem but otherwise, it might be good for every one.

@@AudreyDarling Smoking is a very difficult addiction to quit - even for a grandchild! I never heard second hand smoke could cause a leak. I would question that and make sure you aren't in same room. Stress can cause harm too - so be sure to stay calm and do what you need to do for your health.

My surgeon really stressed that it could be a issue. I had never heard of it before either. My surgeon seemed very sure it could be a real problem. I'm gonna mention it again, then after that just keep to myself! Thank you all so much!

I think you need a long term plan. Neither you now, nor next month should be living there. Your son, even more so. It's illegal in Canada and we can have our children taken from our care for having them in an environment with cigarette smoke :-( Smoking is difficult to quit yes, but she doesn't have to. She only has to go outside. This is not right.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using the BariatricPal App

I agree. It sounds like in the short term you may need to take your friend up on the offer for a temporary place to stay if your grandmother cannot adapt to your needs. In the long-term, this sounds like a great time to make a plan.

I think it could be because of coughing? Anyway, my surgeon said nothing about it. I even told him that I was a pot smoker. It was never an issue at all! And I was so fucking nervous to say it too! LOL!! All they said is don't smoke cigarettes yourself.

But if it's stressing you out then that's not good at all. It is your grandparents house and they are allowed to do what they want, even if it's not nice. It sucks but my mom is similar and I've dealt with it for years.

And since it's something you're focused on and upsetting you that's probably good idea to make things easier on both of you for six weeks or so.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I think it could be because of coughing? Anyway, my surgeon said nothing about it. I even told him that I was a pot smoker. It was never an issue at all! And I was so f**king nervous to say it too! LOL!! All they said is don't smoke cigarettes yourself.

But if it's stressing you out then that's not good at all. It is your grandparents house and they are allowed to do what they want, even if it's not nice. It sucks but my mom is similar and I've dealt with it for years.

And since it's something you're focused on and upsetting you that's probably good idea to make things easier on both of you for six weeks or so.

It's more likely due to the nicotine. Second-hand smoke is just as bad as smoking. It's not good for a healthy person let alone someone healing from surgery.

It's more likely due to the nicotine. Second-hand smoke is just as bad as smoking. It's not good for a healthy person let alone someone healing from surgery.

Interesting! I didn't know nicotine is in second hand smoke. So does that mean second hand smoke is addicting since nicotine is the drug that causes the addiction?

Interesting! I didn't know nicotine is in second hand smoke. So does that mean second hand smoke is addicting since nicotine is the drug that causes the addiction?

http://m.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/tobaccocancer/secondhand-smoke