Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Attending a wedding @ 6 weeks out

I'm looking for advice about attending a wedding when I will be 6.5 weeks post op. Would you try to eat or just go without? My plan starts introducing real foods at 5-8 weeks.

My surgeon said that an occasional small glass of wine post op would be fine, so long and I do not drive. Can anyone tell me what it's like to have a drink post op?

Is it a Buffett or do did you get to pick your meal? I would go with the thought of nibbling on anything your plan approves of. But have a backup plan. Bring a ready to drink shake or something you know will agree with you. As for alcohol my experience is it can hit you much harder. Never ever drink for the first time in public!!!!! Six weeks does seem too early to most WLS patients... But if it fine with your doctor who am I to judge. Just please be careful. Take your docs advice and limit it to 1 and drink very slowly. Remember don't drink for the first time in public!

Edited by ocgirl15

I was concerned about that same thing~ my social life pretty much revolves around having a glass of wine with the girls (I live in wine country after all). I am only 5 days post op and I had a 5 oz glass of wine last night. I drank it over 3 hours and sipped Water in between sips of wine. I was worried about getting wasted in public so I told my husband to kick me under the table if I started acting silly. No bruises :)

If I were you I would make sure I had a Protein shake before I go and bring high Protein Soup mix. At the wedding ask for some hot Water in a bowl or if you don't think you can obtain some from the servers bring it in a double walled bottle as a backup and use a coffee cup. If people ask you why you aren't eating just tell them you are on a diet and was on such a weight loss roll you didn't want to stop. I really like the ProtiDiet Tomato Soup but that is a personal preference.

I was concerned about that same thing~ my social life pretty much revolves around having a glass of wine with the girls (I live in wine country after all). I am only 5 days post op and I had a 5 oz glass of wine last night. I drank it over 3 hours and sipped Water in between sips of wine. I was worried about getting wasted in public so I told my husband to kick me under the table if I started acting silly. No bruises :)

If I were you I would make sure I had a Protein shake before I go and bring high Protein Soup mix. At the wedding ask for some hot Water in a bowl or if you don't think you can obtain some from the servers bring it in a double walled bottle as a backup and use a coffee cup. If people ask you why you aren't eating just tell them you are on a diet and was on such a weight loss roll you didn't want to stop. I really like the ProtiDiet Tomato Soup but that is a personal preference.

Saramarie, may I inquire if alcohol is approved your doctor or NUT at five days out? If they do you picked the wrong medical team. It is too soon! Most are still on clear or maybe full liquids at that point. Alcohol can cause serious complications like ulcers and leaks. I mean serious possibly life threatening complications. I am not judging you I am honestly concerned for your well being. Your just had 80% of your stomach removed and it is held together by staples. It is a raw, swollen irritated mess that can't even handle basic food. 6 weeks is the earliest Doctor recommendation I have seen on this board. Most are 3, 6, 12 months or even never.

No, it was not approved at 5 days. It was completely my choice. My team said full liquids at that point and I drank it with a lot of Water over 3 hours. No harm done.

You can probably find something at the buffet to munch on... any kind of dip can be put on your plate, and you can use a carrot as a vessel to your lips! LOL

But as far as alcohol goes, It's a toss up. Obviously if your doctor approved it, but just keep in mind the calorie counts, and don't ever drink anything sweet or with added sugars. I sipped on a bloody mary at 6 weeks out... felt guilty as hell, and didn't have another drink until 3 months out... which I only had a couple of glasses of wine over a 5 day period in Key West.

I don't think there is a buffet, I chose salmon for my dinner. Do you think I would be able to eat things like cheese? Real food makes me nervous!

I attended a wedding at 4 weeks, very swanky. Luckily I had an option for Chilean sea bass which was delicious however I was only able to eat so little. There was cheese and such before but I held off. The gelato stand after the dessert and cake was such a tease. Had I not been sleeved, I surely would have put on 10 lbs that night.

I then attended a buffet wedding the following Saturday. A little more of a challenge, more because people noticed I was not eating or drinking.

I did not touch wine until about 9 weeks out. Takes an hour and a half to drink 2 -3 ounces of wine.

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

No, it was not approved at 5 days. It was completely my choice. My team said full liquids at that point and I drank it with a lot of Water over 3 hours. No harm done.

I.....I don't even know what to say anymore.

I don't think there is a buffet, I chose salmon for my dinner. Do you think I would be able to eat things like cheese? Real food makes me nervous!

Salmon was fine for me at 4 weeks. Flaky fish I tolerate very well. Not sure what your plan says, but I think a bit of salmon is reasonable. I'd skip the alcohol though.