Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm getting violent without caffeine

Alright not actually violent (dramatic definitely but not completely violent) and I'm not even sure if I should be giving it up right now. I'm on my 2 week pre op diet that consists of high Protein low carb. I stopped drinking soda and coffee on Sunday because I thought I had to. But I'm not even completely positive.

Is it important to give up caffeine 2 weeks pre op?? I'm drinking a coffee right now because I've had the WORST headache for over a day and idk what to do with myself. I realize it could also be lack of carbs too causing it but I needed some type of relief. Please help :'(

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I believe you are allowed 12 Oz a day. Probably Decaf but I used caffeinated coffee and drank extra Water

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

@@mollydeez My pre-op instructions say "avoid caffeine". If a cup of coffee happens to throw itself in your way - you might not be able to avoid it - then I say go for it! ;-) The only thing I would caution - you don't want the caffeine withdrawal post-op on top of all of the other issues you'll be dealing with. Try half decaf/half caf for a few days and go to full Decaf a few days before surgery. I started my pre-op diet yesterday (shakes only) and have had a pretty bad headache as well. I usually only had one cup of coffee in the mornings so I don't think it's caffeine withdrawal. I ended up going to bed at 8:30 last night before I ripped open a bag of potato chips!

Caffeine withdrawal stinks. I gave it up twice cold turkey for my pregnancies. With WLS I tapered slowly. No headaches, no withdrawal and no moodiness. Switched from reg coffee and Diet Coke to Decaf versions. One drink at a time. Then gave soda up all together after I kicked the caffeine habit. My addiction to Diet Coke was an addiction to caffeine. Giving up decaf Diet Coke was very easy.

Edited by ocgirl15

I only quit for several weeks after surgery.

Now.....I'd rip a fool's arm off an beat 'em with it if they tried to take my coffee.< br />

Java is serious bidness.

I would ask your doctor, some people don't give up caffeine at all.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using the BariatricPal App

Look at it this way. The last thing they will be bringing you in the hospital post op is caffeinated coffee. It acts as a diuretic. And you'll need all the fluids you can get post op. So deal with it now or deal with it later. As I stated in another post giving up caffeine and carbonated drinks was hard for me, but I consider it a big part of developing the ability to make sacrifices in food and drink that will allow me to succeed at this. It helped me see the things that had a hold on me--if that makes sense.

I only quit for several weeks after surgery.

Now.....if rip a fool's arm off an beat 'em with it if they tried to take my coffee.

Java is serious bidness.

Dub's right usually giving up caffeine and/or coffee is only temporary. I have caffeine everyday!

I drank coffee b4 surgery all I started to do was drink unsweetened French vanilla Creamer. I can't do black. But only a week b4 surgery

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

I have been serious -- really militant -- about what goes in my body since I started my six-month pre-op diet in March. That being said, I have had a 34 year love affair with diet coke, and I had it up until I started my voluntary liquid diet 3 days before my surgery. (Call it my one huge weakness...) Caffeine withdrawal was the least of my concerns after surgery. It was probably there but just blended in with the overall misery of the situation, so I didn't notice it like I would have in a cold turkey situation before the surgery.

As of today, I haven't had any caffeine in 10 days, and I am doing pretty well. I am not missing it at all (and frankly, that is blowing my mind). My advice is have your coffee, etc. now, and deal with it when the time comes. That mentality has served me pretty well.

I gave up sugary sweet coffee before surgery, then didn't drink it again till, well this week. I'm on my 8th week and back to normal foods. I do drink one cup of caffeinated coffee each am, but I combine it with my Protein shake, so no added sugar or fat. Makes my Protein Shake go down easier....which makes me happier. Dr said no caffeine, but this is my one vice....every dr seems to have different opinions on coffee. This is what I do. It's my only caffeine, that one cup a day, if that.

Sent from my XT1650 using the BariatricPal App

I didn't have to quit. I was told to take moderate amounts, a cup or two a day and "just don't go crazy". It is a diuretic so just make sure you drink lots of Water. Each doctor is different, some unfortunately are not up to date with most of the scientific studies (concerning caffeine, nicotine..etc.), or out of habit they hang on to what they have practiced for many years or perhaps somewhat paranoid (who could blame them with the medical malpractice suits).. Etc.

post-286331-0-87060300-1475692161_thumb.jpg

I weaned to Decaf in the couple of weeks before surgery (I know. crazy but at least I kept the comfort of the habit) and then as soon as I was allowed regular coffee (4 weeks in my case) I was back on the full juice. During my liquid diet post op I had decaf in my vanilla Protein shake sometimes to flavor it up. I used to take mine with half and half and sugar. do NOT give me any fake Creamer. but I am now on 2/3 fairlife milk 1/3 half and half. half a cup in my 12 ounce coffee mug and stevia most of the time. my Daddy called it my baby coffee because he always took his dark, rich and black.

*edited to clarify - half a cup of the milk combo, not half the coffee mug. :D

post-286331-0-84817200-1475692475_thumb.jpg

post-286331-0-09053500-1475692491_thumb.jpg

post-286331-0-20230000-1475692505_thumb.jpg

post-286331-0-20884600-1475692517_thumb.jpg

I weaned off caffeine about 3 weeks before surgery. My doc is fine with moderate amounts as long as we're getting plenty of Water. I have had coffee twice since surgery. I really thought I would be back on the coffee the absolute second I was allowed, but I just haven't craved it. There are days I'd cheerfully murder someone for a diet D.P. but it's because I'm just so darned tired of Water (with or without flavorings) not for the caffeine. I've about decided I'll have coffee if I really want it, but don't really want to start needing it daily or suffer headaches.

You will have to give it up after surgery since the acid touching your fresh wounds won't be too pleasant so would you rather have this headache to deal with now or once you have had the surgery and are dealing with 500 things then??