Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all

I know we're all at different stages and we're all going to consume various foods but I am curious about calories!

As a band to sleeve revision patient and now 6ish weeks out, I am getting those horrible 'OMG am I going to succeed? Is my sleeve tight and small enough? Am I eating way more than everyone else?' thoughts......

I've started tracking calories and I generally have around 800-1000 calories but I feel like it's quite easy to get up to 1000. At weeks 2-4 I struggled A LOT with foods and just didn't really have the drive to watch my food intake and Protein.< /p>

Now, I feel like my hunger is coming back and that freaks me out. No heartburn or anything, and I've had my 40 grams of Somac on a daily basis, but I KNOW I feel hunger. I just get in a bit of a negative headspace and worry that the sleeve won't be 'viable' for me. I am very determined, yet am at a stall.

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to know what you guys typically eat in a day too!

THANKS

Hey girl

Well, as an ex bander you WILL be able to eat more, your esophagus has damage to it because of the band, you will not feel the tightness that a virgin sleever has.

I was able to eat half a cup straight out of surgery, and now i am in my 3rd, heading into my 4th month, i can eat around a cup of food.

We as ex banders have a different experience than the virgin sleevers, we will lose slower, can drink, get hungry and eat more and generally don't have the restriction because of the damage from the band.

And by damage i mean our esophagus is looser, our nerves in that area are not as sensitive too.

When my surgeon explained this, it made sense, he suggested that i measure out my food... but for me i can not go above 800 calories ever because of my metabolism.

800-1000 at this stage of the game for you is sensible... in a few months you should work up to 1200 so you do not do any permanent damage to your metabolism, like i did!

Seems to me your experience is normal ????

Thank you! I have been meaning to message you. I think I should also focus on more Water, as I tend to forget it, and I also want to take a chewable Gaviscon or something like when those pangs hit. It's a weird 'hollow' feeling - but I assume it is hunger. I get a bit confused!!!

How is your journey going?! I am pleased so far, but very cautious as I just want to see my results before I get too excited haha.

Things are great with me.... my size 12 jeans are loose! Woohoooo...

so only 1 size to drop till i get where i want to be... which is a size 10 (i am 5'9.. so anything below that i look weirdly thin)

I should get there in around 10-15kg time.

Don't worry about the weight loss.... it will come... i am not dropping in big numbers, more like... stay the same for 1 week... drop 1kg-2kg, rinse and repeat...

but i am finding that my body is starting to respond in a more predictable fashion that earlier out...

Water is super easy, i am meeting my Protein requirements, able to eat socially without it looking like i have had wls, i am more confident, and have finally adjusted to my new tummy... it took a good 2.5 months for me.

My new tummy is good so far, it likes everything except eggs, they turn me off now....

So awesome!! Good on you. Wow, I can't wait for size 12. Yooo hooo!!

That's the thing though, I feel like the sleeve is 'easy' - like it's just too good to be true haha....I am pretty good with most foods (chicken took me a little bit to get used to) so it's the complete opposite of the band. I associate that pain and torture with weight loss....so I feel like the sleeve is going to 'fail me'. Such a head f****....

How do you go with 'treating' yourself? I always battle with myself over carbs and things like that. Grr

Yes, i actually thought the same.... its like wow i have a normal tummy only smaller... this is awesome!

I actually allow myself to have treats, i am a big believer in everything in moderation, but i do balance it out.

Eg. I brought myself a box of my favourite expensive chocolates, i allow myself 2 chocolates every Saturday. Thats my reward for behaving from Monday-Friday & Sunday.

I allow myself to have popcorn at the movies, and if i am eating out i am a little less strict with the carbs.

So i basically do the right thing 95% of the time, but during the "bad" 5% i don't feel guilty, because i don't binge or go nuts with portion sizes...

I think the key is allowing the treat but in a measured amount.

Popcorn - recommended serving (child size) and thats all, not the whole box.

chocolate - 2 pieces and thats it (not the whole block)

This way you never feel deprived and it teaches you good habits and relationships with food.

But, i will add this disclaimer.... i can do this because i am close to goal... if i had 50kg or large amounts of weight to lose, i probably wouldn't do it too often till i was nearish to goal.

Yes, i actually thought the same.... its like wow i have a normal tummy only smaller... this is awesome!

I actually allow myself to have treats, i am a big believer in everything in moderation, but i do balance it out.

Eg. I brought myself a box of my favourite expensive chocolates, i allow myself 2 chocolates every Saturday. Thats my reward for behaving from Monday-Friday & Sunday.

I allow myself to have popcorn at the movies, and if i am eating out i am a little less strict with the carbs.

So i basically do the right thing 95% of the time, but during the "bad" 5% i don't feel guilty, because i don't binge or go nuts with portion sizes...

I think the key is allowing the treat but in a measured amount.

Popcorn - recommended serving (child size) and thats all, not the whole box.

chocolate - 2 pieces and thats it (not the whole block)

This way you never feel deprived and it teaches you good habits and relationships with food.

But, i will add this disclaimer.... i can do this because i am close to goal... if i had 50kg or large amounts of weight to lose, i probably wouldn't do it too often till i was nearish to goal.

I love you moderation eating n not wanting to be deprived of food. But i guess some can get to carried away when it is their 'cheat' day..

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hi all

I know we're all at different stages and we're all going to consume various foods but I am curious about calories!

As a band to sleeve revision patient and now 6ish weeks out, I am getting those horrible 'OMG am I going to succeed? Is my sleeve tight and small enough? Am I eating way more than everyone else?' thoughts......

I've started tracking calories and I generally have around 800-1000 calories but I feel like it's quite easy to get up to 1000. At weeks 2-4 I struggled A LOT with foods and just didn't really have the drive to watch my food intake and Protein.

Now, I feel like my hunger is coming back and that freaks me out. No heartburn or anything, and I've had my 40 grams of Somac on a daily basis, but I KNOW I feel hunger. I just get in a bit of a negative headspace and worry that the sleeve won't be 'viable' for me. I am very determined, yet am at a stall.

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to know what you guys typically eat in a day too!

THANKS

The primary focus right now is getting in all of your Protein and fluids. You need protein and fluids to heal and to lose weight. What is your protein target? How are you doing at reaching that target?

Your calories are relative to your protein. If you are eating a 1000 calories and getting in all of your protein, then that is great. If you are eating 1000 calories and not getting in your protein then it isn't. 1000 calories of donuts is not the equivalent to 1000 of Greek yogurt or turkey breast.

@@BabyLurve24

I agree.... some can not do this, this is why one needs to exercise self control and choose to only have that small portion.

I have been dealing with my emotional eating for around 8 years now, i have taught myself not to binge, to only eat when i am hungry, stop when i am satisfied, not full.

Its a process, one needs to deal with the reason they overeat from the start and manage their disordered eating.

I simply do not believe in replacing one eating disorder for another, because that is exactly what it is that got us here, disordered eating.

For me, allowing myself to enjoy food without guilt when i have exercised self control majority of the time has helped me improve my disordered eating and is doing less damage to me psychologically... no guilt, no remorse, no putting myself down or getting angry with myself, no judgement.... it takes a load off your psyche.

Thanks guys - I definitely have 800-1000 calories of real food. Maybe a few too many carbs, not sure, but definitely not junk. Just wish I could get in more protein! I try for 60g but it can be hard

Thanks guys - I definitely have 800-1000 calories of real food. Maybe a few too many carbs, not sure, but definitely not junk. Just wish I could get in more protein! I try for 60g but it can be hard

What is your Protein target? 60 grams is in the low side. (My target is 100 grams.) If you aren't even getting in 60 then you are really low. 2 Premier Protein shakes will give you 60 grams at least.

I struggle to get above 500 most days. I just don't get hungry during the day and then around 3-4 I feel some hunger. I usually can squeeze in two small meals before bed. Two months out and vsg surgery. My nut said not to stress over it when I expressed my concern about too few calories.

I struggle to get above 500 most days. I just don't get hungry during the day and then around 3-4 I feel some hunger. I usually can squeeze in two small meals before bed. Two months out and vsg surgery. My nut said not to stress over it when I expressed my concern about too few calories.

You should eat more frequently even if you don't feel hungry. You will damage your metabolism if not.

What is your Protein target? 60 grams is in the low side. (My target is 100 grams.) If you aren't even getting in 60 then you are really low. 2 Premier Protein shakes will give you 60 grams at least.

In Australia I don't believe we have Premier shakes....I just can't take any of my Protein powders now!!! It sucks. I have to eat a solid Breakfast, such as an egg with some toast (my nut recommended this, and is not against carbs at all) because if I do a Protein shake or even yoghurt, it goes straight through me! It's so horrible....but thanks for the tips!!

We don't have premier here.

Why don't you get your Protein from food?

Having the right Protein rich foods you can easily meet your target when you add it all up... i have not relied on shakes since i was on soft foods.

Some examples for the normal food stage inc brands available to us...

Primo sliced turkey = 7.8g, 44 cal

Red lea chicken leg = 14 g, 118 cal

Red lea chicken wing = 8g, 80 cal

Red lea chicken thigh = 13.7g, 135 cal

Coles Basa fish fillet = 22g, 153 cal

Coles 100g lamb = 21g, 250 cal

Coles beef hamburger pattie = 17g, 200 cal

Coles 50g silverside, 22g, 56 cal

Stringers = 7g, 80 cal

Babybel cheese light = 6g, 50 cal