Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long until you start feeling "normal" ?

Hi guys!

Just quickly wanted to know how long it took after surgery for you to go back to feeling "normal"? Normal in the sense where you don't feel any more pain from the surgery and where it doesn't hurt when you drink or eat anything?

Also after having the surgery, is the feeling of being full "feel" different than the feeling full before you guys had the surgery?

Thank You!

Hi guys!

Just quickly wanted to know how long it took after surgery for you to go back to feeling "normal"? Normal in the sense where you don't feel any more pain from the surgery and where it doesn't hurt when you drink or eat anything?

I felt fairly normal at about 3 weeks out though the incision pain lasted a bit longer than that when I wore jeans or similar to remind me of surgery. It can always hurt to eat or drink if you eat or drink too much and/or too fast. So essentially that one is up to you. If you eat small amounts slowly- you may never experience pain.

Also after having the surgery, is the feeling of being full "feel" different than the feeling full before you guys had the surgery?

Thank You!

Feeling full does change. There are different types of full. First is a full signal. Mine was a hiccup that told me I was in for trouble if I kept eating. For many, that signal goes away over time but it still takes a lot less food to feel full physically. Overdoing it can make you sick. Connecting the mental feelings of wanting food with the very real physical feelings of not being able to eat more food can be a challenge. It is important that you follow the portion guidelines that you are given and to stop eating before you are full or overly full whenever possible.

@@AchieveGoals and @taracutch Hang in there guys!!! As far as being able to drink without pain or discomfort for me it was between day 6 and 8. and I don't think for me it was painful to drink but everything just seemed to taste terrible, but that went away between day 6 and 8 post op......But I really started to feel normal again once I was able to start eating normal food in the pureed stage and that was at the beginning of the third week for me.

The feeling of being full for me is different, and I didn't feel it at all until I started on more solid type foods....like chicken and fish.......before surgery you know how when you sat down at a huge meal and you've eaten a lot already and you know your're full, but you think to yourself....but this is sooooo good....and you eat more just because there's food still on your plate, and then you're miserably full but your not sick??? Well, you won't ever feel like that again.....What I've found is there is a very fine line between "just enough" and one little bite too much.....so far it's happened to me twice since surgery on 5/16/16......I've eaten one bite too much and within seconds I was running to the bathroom and it comes right back up! Not fun!!! The trick is to first, always measure your food, eat slowly, and not to eat until you feel full, but rather eat to feel satisfied. I haven't cleaned a plate since surgery. My little dog has really enjoyed this surgery!!! hahaha...........I've found for me as soon as I feel the slightest feeling like I need to burp it's time to stop!!

This surgery is the best thing I've ever done for myself!!! The first couple of weeks were rough but since then it's been great and does exactly what I hoped it would. Good luck to you both!

Pain/discomfort was totally gone within 3-4 weeks. Took longer for energy levels to get back up there, was very sleepy/lethargic for the first month or two. Once the energy started going up though, it never stopped, way more active than I was before.

Eating remains different, I used to clear off every plate, then go back for more. Now when my stomach says it's done, I'm done, even if there's still some food left.

It took me about 4 weeks to feel "normal" again. In the second month after surgery I got a lot of energy.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

For me that was roughly a month out, where I'd say I felt few noticeable effects anymore.

I feel the same way. No energy at all. I have become very anxious since the surgery, I know there is a new normal from here on out. I needed pain medication and didn't get any. I was on the operating table 6 hours. I do my 25 day post op with the surgeon tomorrow. Do any of you have pale yellow stool( BM)

Hi guys!

Thank You!

3-4 weeks

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am 4 weeks post op and still feel very flat. I work in extreme temperatures and the heat really gets to me now. I can drink around 3L of fluids a day (90% water). But have peed dark since my surgery and can't shake it. From what i have read i take in more Fluid than most do at this point of post op. Really struggle to stomach food too. I hope it gets better like it has for others

Keep up your fluids, but remember Vitamins and other things in your diet might change urine shades. Just keep on keeping on, you may still be in a recovery mode, some people heal slower and get leveled out at an different rate. Keep faith through it all![emoji12][emoji170]

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app