Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So That Was Embarrassing!

Complications since my surgery have been few and far between. I'm now almost 22 months post-op. I am in the process of divorcing my husband and have begun some casual dating. It's already been interesting navigating dating. I hadn't "dated" in probably close to 15 years... I am no longer in my 20's (I'm 37)... I am now much thinner and more attractive than I ever was in my previous dating periods... and I have my surgery preventing me from your normal kinds of dinner dates.

So last night I was on a date. I hadn't told my date about my surgery, he just knows I eat Protein first and don't eat much at one time. So we were scheduled to go play Lasertron (fancy laser tag) and we wanted to grab some dinner ahead of time. We went to a restaurant he recommended, which I'd never been to before. I had half a burger without the bun and a few tatter tots. Not really any more than I typically eat at a "large" meal these days. But I must have eaten too fast or not chewed well enough or something, because I was feeling uncomfortably full after. It's a feeling I rarely encounter, as I am an "old pro" at this whole sleeve thing now, right?

We went to Lasertron. I was still feeling full, but not too bad. I was able to run around and shoot children with the best of them! It was a ton of fun, but I did get very hot and sweaty. Afterward I bought some G2 from the little cafe there to re-hydrate and two sips in I was on the edge of throwing up. There was just no room in there for it to even get down my esophagus. I rushed to the bathroom where I experienced foamies for just the second time since my sleeve. Having experienced this once before (at Thanksgiving), I knew that it meant something was "stuck" and I was going to continue to be miserable until I actually vomited and dislodged whatever was stuck. Unfortunately, my attempts at vomiting just brought up the G2 and lots of mucus.

So after the second round of attempted vomiting, I had to tell my date I was not feeling well and needed to go home. Of course, "home" was his house, because we'd only brought my car to dinner and Lasertron. At his house I proceeded to nearly vomit a bunch more times. He sat with me on the bathroom floor. Then he got me a bucket so I could lie down on the couch. FINALLY I actually threw up and felt a million times better. But completely humiliated by the whole thing. He was amazingly great about the whole thing. Even gave me a brand new toothbrush to use after the whole ordeal. I guess I have to marry this guy now, right? For being so great through that. And he still wants to keep dating me!

I still didn't tell him about my surgery though.....

@@JamieLogical

And I still wouldn't tell him about my surgery unless you really are going to marry him. No reason to give up little bits and pieces of your soul to someone that might not last till labor day.

Yeah when I am out on dates sometimes it is easy to over eat, since I can't really whip my scale out and weigh my food.

I just stick to salads with Protein because I find the more expensive the restaurant the less damn meat they put on a salad, so I can safely eat the meat off the salad and push the salad around and never worry about over eating. Then if I have to I eat a Protein Bar. I keep a Protein Bar with me on dates. So I can get my Protein in and not take a chance on eating too much on a date. I got sick on a date once, never again.

I'm sorry about you divorce.

This man sounds very compassionate; congratulations.

a7c3d0628c9a7239e1759f9216210f4e.jpg

He might just be a keeper!

Well, he definitely scored a lot of points for being so awesome about the whole thing. I mean, if that's not "trial by fire", I'm not sure what is! Definitely looking forward to spending the weekend with him. He's meeting my sister tomorrow and I'm going to his best friend's birthday party on Saturday, so I guess things are getting pretty serious!

@@JamieLogical

i am actually going on my first date Friday. I haven't been on a date probably since 2005 with a brief get back together with an ex boyfriend from 2008 - 2011 - so a long time (and i havent been married - ha). I feel pretty safe eating out for sushi... He asked where i recommend near where i live and i asked him what he doesn't like so i could cut that from the list. Guess what he never eats? You got it - Sushi! I am a bit nervous - I don't feel like saying anything about my surgery though - He wants to meet for drinks first (which i can't have) and then go to an French/Italian restaurant I like - I may go with the beef carpaccio since it is fairly thin and rare. I am 3.5 months post surgery so i eat small amounts - hopefully we keep the conversation lively and he doesnt notice.

But on another note - It is very weird being out in public and people approaching me or talking to me now. I still have 40 - 45 lbs to go - but maybe i am exuding more confidence? Hard to believe at 45 years old I am ready to start dating - Ha!

I wouldn't tell him yet. but good luck on your dates and if its meant to be it will be. A new fresh start is always good

Aww this guy sounds like a sweetheart... definitely major brownie points to him for being so caring and supportive.

I know what you mean about feeling embarrassed.. but there is no need to be... he obviously didn't care and was nice about it... if you guys do end up together... at least you have a great story to tell....

A night full of vomiting, tooth brushing and shooting children hehhee

I remember like 10 years ago my doctor prescribed xenical for weight loss... which makes you poop fatty orange stools....

I was out on a date and i had a major poop leak.... i was wearing cream colored pants... so yes... i had to walk around and be driven home with an orange colored poop stain on my butt!! I remember wanting the floor to swallow me in lol

Unbelievably, even after that episode he still wanted to date me... it didn't work out.... but that is one of my dating horrors i still laugh about

Edited by AussieGirl81

@ Yes. No matter how this works out, I definitely have a story to tell. I am so sorrg about your incident!

@

Those pills were awful. I was on them for a little while. What a horror show.

@@goplay94123

When he wants to go for drinks, get bottle Water or coffee. You don't have to drink alcohol when you meet someone for drinks. I think it is better to not drink as a female on a date, so you can stay alert.

Complications since my surgery have been few and far between. I'm now almost 22 months post-op. I am in the process of divorcing my husband and have begun some casual dating. It's already been interesting navigating dating. I hadn't "dated" in probably close to 15 years... I am no longer in my 20's (I'm 37)... I am now much thinner and more attractive than I ever was in my previous dating periods... and I have my surgery preventing me from your normal kinds of dinner dates.

So last night I was on a date. I hadn't told my date about my surgery, he just knows I eat Protein first and don't eat much at one time. So we were scheduled to go play Lasertron (fancy laser tag) and we wanted to grab some dinner ahead of time. We went to a restaurant he recommended, which I'd never been to before. I had half a burger without the bun and a few tatter tots. Not really any more than I typically eat at a "large" meal these days. But I must have eaten too fast or not chewed well enough or something, because I was feeling uncomfortably full after. It's a feeling I rarely encounter, as I am an "old pro" at this whole sleeve thing now, right?

We went to Lasertron. I was still feeling full, but not too bad. I was able to run around and shoot children with the best of them! It was a ton of fun, but I did get very hot and sweaty. Afterward I bought some G2 from the little cafe there to re-hydrate and two sips in I was on the edge of throwing up. There was just no room in there for it to even get down my esophagus. I rushed to the bathroom where I experienced foamies for just the second time since my sleeve. Having experienced this once before (at Thanksgiving), I knew that it meant something was "stuck" and I was going to continue to be miserable until I actually vomited and dislodged whatever was stuck. Unfortunately, my attempts at vomiting just brought up the G2 and lots of mucus.

So after the second round of attempted vomiting, I had to tell my date I was not feeling well and needed to go home. Of course, "home" was his house, because we'd only brought my car to dinner and Lasertron. At his house I proceeded to nearly vomit a bunch more times. He sat with me on the bathroom floor. Then he got me a bucket so I could lie down on the couch. FINALLY I actually threw up and felt a million times better. But completely humiliated by the whole thing. He was amazingly great about the whole thing. Even gave me a brand new toothbrush to use after the whole ordeal. I guess I have to marry this guy now, right? For being so great through that. And he still wants to keep dating me!

I still didn't tell him about my surgery though.....

From a guy:

Maybe mention it so he knows there's a reason behind you always getting sick around him! He sounds like he'd be ok with it

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

From a guy:

Maybe mention it so he knows there's a reason behind you always getting sick around him! He sounds like he'd be ok with it

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Well, we've been dating for over three months now and he knows about the surgery and everything. I told him soon after the Lasertron/foamies incident. Now every time we go to play Lasertron, we joke about it.

Fortunately, I haven't had any foamies or thrown up again since then! However, I did run a marathon last weekend (the 18th) and he had to help me shower after, because I was helpless as a newborn. And he took care of me and got me food and everything after. Plus, I got HORRIBLY sunburned during the race and he helped with aloe and lotion and burn cream in the days after and put up with the peeling skin this past weekend. He's pretty great!

I'm probably going to keep him. :D

That is great he sounds amazing!

That is great he sounds amazing!

Yeah, I really can't complain. Definitely lucked out when I stumbled across him!