Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Changes in Shoe Sizes?

I've heard that people's shoe sizes drop along with their weight. Is this true? I am a fool for shoes but the shoe manufacturers don't think people with wide feet need attractive shoes. Is there hope for me? What has been your experience?

Some but not all people drop a shoe size after weight loss surgery. For some people the width of their feet decrease.

Oh yes absolutely! For me I didn't have a wide foot wore a normal B width. Now my foot is much narrower and all of my old shoes me feet are sliding right through(sandals). My shoes also are too wide. I haven't lost in length I still wear a size 11.

@@IAwoman, you won't know how your own feet will change until you get there, but do expect a change, especially in width. It's about losing fat, not weight. Fat, like air, is everywhere. Your ring size will change and your necklaces and pendants will hang lower.

it is *very* common. feet can store fat just like the rest of our body. I no longer need a wide width, and am encouraged by my new feet.

since I can't afford to replace *all* my shoes at once I have to wear thicker socks with a lot of them now, and am slowly replacing with not wide shoes.

let us know how this works out for you! I love having pretty shoes!

Changes in Shoe Sizes?

@@IAwoman

i laughed years ago when i saw this subject

shoe size is less? :D

then after seeing OP responses, i understood about feet/shoes

many people's feet are swollen due to the Water, swelling of feet

as you lose weight, the swelling will go down

this helps you need new shoes

my feet weren't that swollen, wide

i never had my shoe size go down

in your case - who knows? ;)

good luck

speedy recovery

kathy

My shoe size didn't change, however I no longer need to have shoes with good arch support. I never wore wide shoes. My fingers did go down ring sizes and now I can wear some of my old jewelry again. Surprising for me was the whole new "length" of my necklaces as @@WLSResources/ClothingExch mentioned above.

@@jane13 and @@borg/assimilated --

Aha, I didn't say wide-width shoes, merely referred to width of foot. You're fortunate that you never did need wide widths. All things are possible and I certainly believe you, but I'm still surprised that you didn't find your shoes getting looser. Jane, that your ring size remained unchanged is a greater surprise to me. Some of the differences in all our experiences are funny little things.

I went from an 8 1/2 wide to a 7 regular. Had to change out my shoes twice because I couldn't imagine losing a whole size and a half.

I went from a 8 1/2 double wide to a 7 1/2 regular wide. The biggest changes are in my face and neck. My fingers are much smaller and my rings are all lose. Even my wrists are smaller. The bracelets that were once too tight are now fitting,

Before I had kids I wore a size 9 - 9 1/2. After having three I now wear a 10 1/2. I really hope I drop shoe sizes. Even down to a 9 1/2 would be amazing. So hard to find shoes in my size currently.

@@WitchySar - I agree about the shoe sizes. Anything over a 9.5 and it depends on how they fit because some shoes I easily wear a 9.5 with room to spare and others I get a 10.

I am down 84.5 lbs so far. I have lost width in my feet and 2 ring sizes in my hands and my hands are still shrinking. I have gotten rid of almost all my sandals because I suspect I stretched them from wearing them and now I can hardly keep them on my feet! So far my running shoes have stayed the same size but I tie them tighter. I can't tell for sure if I have lost length too as my feet swell when I run so the same size running shoes still fit fine at the end of my runs. :)

pam