Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please say it ain't so!

I think I may be.... Lactose intolerant. Pre VSG, cheese was my favorite food. So if that's true, I'm a sad sad girl.

Last night, I had a couple of bites of sugar free pudding. About ten minutes later, I started getting horrible stomach cramps and had to make a (multiple) visit to my porcelain throne. It lasted all night and I still don't feel right this morning. Do you think it's the lactose? I ate puréed broccoli and cheddar Soup all day yesterday with no problem, so I'm confused! Any ideas what happened?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

How far out from surgery are you? For my first 5-6 weeks I couldn't drink milk, all the same kinds of symptoms. Had no problem with other dairy, just regular pour it in a glass and drink it milk. After 5-6 weeks whatever was causing it went away and now it's fine (though I've been drinking soy milk anyway because the carbs are lower). All you can really do is test yourself by consuming a little of whatever food/drink it is every couple of weeks and seeing what happens. It may wear off.

sugar free pudding has other ingredients, one of the sweeteners maybe?

Edited by perforce

Your body is going to go through so many changes in the coming months -- so don't assume much about causes of these change and certainly not that any changes you go through are permanent.

Just watch for patterns. And then be open-minded about those patterns changing.

Your body is going to go through so many changes in the coming months -- so don't assume much about causes of these change and certainly not that any changes you go through are permanent.

Just watch for patterns. And then be open-minded about those patterns changing.

Yeah, what she said.

For one thing, if cheese is your main concern, cheese is very, very low in lactose - the cheesemaking process breaks it down.

If you could handle broccoli and cheddar Soup, I would suspect that your pudding issue was something else. Or nothing, except normal postop fluctuations.

Take heart, and keep trying!

Thanks guys, I'm having a hard time figuring out what and how much to eat, causes I'm not eating much. Maybe only 300/day..

How far out from surgery are you? For my first 5-6 weeks I couldn't drink milk, all the same kinds of symptoms. Had no problem with other dairy, just regular pour it in a glass and drink it milk. After 5-6 weeks whatever was causing it went away and now it's fine (though I've been drinking soy milk anyway because the carbs are lower). All you can really do is test yourself by consuming a little of whatever food/drink it is every couple of weeks and seeing what happens. It may wear off.

sugar free pudding has other ingredients, one of the sweeteners maybe?

I'm 11 days post op.

Newsflash natural cheese is all Protein and fat so there is little if any lactose in it. If it was sugar free pudding it could possibly be whatever substance they used to sweeten.

You can also try Fairlife milk which is high in Protein but lactose free... But of course even for that please wait until you are cleared by your doctor to even have milk... Of course[emoji4]

At 11 days your stomach/digestion us all kinds if screwed up, don't even worry. Just keep testing food as you go, it will settle

Sent from my SM-G900H using the BariatricPal App

At 11 days out, keeping up your fluids is first, Protein is second, calories third in priority. Don't sweat it, just keep sipping - and know that your newly refashioned stomach may well be cranky for a few weeks yet. Mine certainly was, but at 11 weeks (rather than 11 days), the only thing my gut (not stomach, gut) didn't appreciate is caffeinated coffee.

I'm a bit more than 12 weeks now. Hang in there!

Hey I have been lactose intolerant since I was 10 so that is about 36 years. My doctor warn me I might become lactose intolerant after surgery. I laughed and said I already am. Then asked if lactaid pills and lactaid milk were allowed. He said they are safe and I can continue to take them. Use chewables after surgery if you have issues swallowing pills. The caplets are crushable and don't taste bad either. I eat dairy at every meal. Yogurt and cheese are my Protein stables. Fairlife milk is lactose free and has extra protein! Ask your doc about lactaid and enjoy your cheese. I just had a cheddar omelet and my next meal will Greek yogurt. Yummy!