Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The great straw debate!

Finally had my surgery on 5/25, back home and doing good so far. Had one nice chuckle while I was being poked and prodded during my 3 day hospital stay. Had my surgery at OSU (Go BUCKS!). Due to heart problems and a couple of the meds I was on, my stay was in the heart step down unit, instead of the bariatric wing. My surgeon came to see me each day, along with a cardiology team, and nutritionists. This is where it gave me a chuckle...

After seeing a few different "straw topics" get posted in the past few weeks, I had asked my surgeon about it during my pre op. He said that he has no problem with his patients using a straw, and that excess air would not stretch out the sleeve. As I was taking my meds on Fri (using a straw to sip water), my surgeon and the cardiologist came in. A couple of minutes latter the nutritionist and bariatric counselor came in. She saw me sipping Water to take my meds and immediately told me I could not be using a straw. From there it was a rehash of every post I had read on here, between the 4 of them.

FYI, my surgeon and cardiologist won out.

that's great! and welcome to the club. I'm glad you're home and on the mend.

My NUT and surgeon do not always agree either, but I find that my NUT just reads the generic protocol, whereas my surgeon actually takes the time to look at the particulars of my case, and so I go with his advice if they are in disagreement.

I tell people who like to argue about the rules, if my Dr. tells me to stand on my head and spit wooden nickels I am doing it. He said no straws, no carbonated drinks and no gum. so, I paid him to use his expertise to help me. I don't care what anyone on the internet tells me to do. It's a simple concept. so if your dr. says okay with straws well then I guess he knows. I also had the lapband which is different than the sleeve. I can tell you from experience I have drank a little soda one day and it was not a good experience so I'm not going to push my luck. I am happy and healthy and that is what I paid for.

I accidentally used a straw without thinking over the weekend and nothing bad happened. No gas pains or feeling of fullness. Nothing! I

Am 6 months out. Straws are not my thing so I don't plan to make it a regular habit. But I think this is one of those rules that is just BS.

*Enter random person on the internet*

Straws are good!

DISCLAIMER: my surgeon approves of course

After seeing a few different "straw topics" get posted in the past few weeks, I had asked my surgeon about it during my pre op. He said that he has no problem with his patients using a straw, and that excess air would not stretch out the sleeve. As I was taking my meds on Fri (using a straw to sip water), my surgeon and the cardiologist came in. A couple of minutes latter the nutritionist and bariatric counselor came in. She saw me sipping Water to take my meds and immediately told me I could not be using a straw. From there it was a rehash of every post I had read on here, between the 4 of them.

Literally laughing out loud.

I am waiting to be impressed by any bariatric NUT.

I understood the no straws was because they fill your stomach with air which leaves less room for Protein and liquids... I plan to give using a straw a try after my the critical healing point.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I have used a straw since the second week after surgery when I accidentally used one. A straw is not going to hurt you and if anything it might help you get in more fluids. As a note, I feel like your surgeon, who specializes in the actual procedure likely knows a lot more about it than a cardiologist and a nutritionist...

Finally had my surgery on 5/25, back home and doing good so far. Had one nice chuckle while I was being poked and prodded during my 3 day hospital stay. Had my surgery at OSU (Go BUCKS!). Due to heart problems and a couple of the meds I was on, my stay was in the heart step down unit, instead of the bariatric wing. My surgeon came to see me each day, along with a cardiology team, and nutritionists. This is where it gave me a chuckle...

I was given a straw by the radiologist who is an M.D. to drink that 2oz leak test contrast...( btw yuck yuck and yuck) and I kinda paniced once I realized what I had done... the tech look at me and said" you have not exploded yet"....lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using the BariatricPal App

I probably shouldn't be admitting this, but I'm going to anyway.

My surgeon actually had me drink from a straw prior to leaving the hospital.

His reasoning was to keep me from gulping the Water.

Yes, I did have those little one ounce cups, but that was just enough to piss me off so we compromised.

Gotta say.....I've been drinking from them ever since.

Let the surgeon bashing begin...

Edited by Andrea72

I probably shouldn't be admitting this, but I'm going to anyway.

My surgeon actually had me drink from a straw prior to leaving the hospital.

His reasoning was to keep me from gulping the Water.

Yes, I did have those little one ounce cups, but that was just enough to piss me off so we compromised.

Gotta say.....I've been drinking from them ever since.

Let the surgeon bashing begin...

Nah, you and your surgeon are cool...lol, the recurring theme I get with this forum is everyone own surgeon,NUT and hospital was just right for them...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using the BariatricPal App

It's good to know so many have survived drinking from a straw lol

Thanks for sharing your experiences

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by nyteacher125