Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved 4/20 and I miss my morning coffee soo much! I got very used to having it with Isopure Protein Powder too for my pre opp diet. It's so much easier to get all my Protein in that way. I want my Starbucks double shot! I want my morning coffee! Dr office said I have to wait until 6 weeks out! Anyone have coffee before then?

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

umm, I'm sure they have, but they didn't have YOUR surgeon and YOUR new stomach. Ask him about Green Tea. I did that for 6 weeks post surgery.

umm, I'm sure they have, but they didn't have YOUR surgeon and YOUR new stomach. Ask him about Green Tea. I did that for 6 weeks post surgery.

My surgeons office said they tell everyone 6 weeks. I've had all kinds of caffeine free tea post opp but alas, it is not the same. I feel like my tummy would tolerate it. They say the reasoning is because caffeine could irritate the staple line.

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

No coffee is worth an irritated staple line...

Imagine that one coffee causing you to need longer on no coffee...

Stand firm @@PissiChrissi

YOUR doctor knows YOU best...

If you can wait the entire six weeks, I'll even shout your first coffee..

I don't make THAT offer to anyone!!!!

My recommendation? You should follow your program. There are as many theories about coffee and when/if bariatric sleevers should have it as there are stars in the sky.

You chose your bariatric team for your own personal reasons. Now you should probably follow their guidelines.

Call them and explain your "misery". Maybe they have a "plan B".

Good luck and keep posting. Sometimes, that alone will help.

prayers going up for you.

Follow your surgeon's plans.

Can you have Decaf? Maybe they can let you wean in with half-caf (mix decaf and caffeinated); but ask them first.

Also keep in mind that coffee can be acidic, so even though it is decaf, it could possibly irritate your stomach in larger quantities.

6 weeks goes just like that.

Only 42 days, only 1008 Hours, only 60,480 Minutes, only 3,628,800 Seconds from the surgery until you can have regular coffee again. :)

I waited a couple months.....but it was on after that.

I drink the cowboy shyt out of it now.

The acid in the coffee will irritate your stomach incision. The caffeine in the coffee is dehydrating. Surely you can put your surgeon's advice and your good health first for such a short period of time.

Put aside the money you would spend at Starbucks each day and at the end of 6 weeks, you should have a couple of hundred bucks to put towards a new outfit or two. :D

You are worth it!

I feel your pain. I really do.

But think of it this way -- as wonderful as WLS is, and it is! -- in order to be successful long-term you are going to have to develop the muscles called "Delayed Gratification."

Think of this period as exercising the s**t out of your Delayed Gratification. Pump that behavior! Pump that behavior!

;)

I waited a couple months.....but it was on after that.

I drink the cowboy shyt out of it now.

In a "Brokeback Mountain" kind of way? :)

coffee = bliss.

I waited. as @@KindaFamiliar says, it's not worth the irritated stomach. but oh the joy of that first cup of coffee!

if you really feel you're ready sooner, talk to your team. a lot of the "rules" they had for everyone they were willing to customize a plan for just me (basically because I do not eat fish) they will know how to evaluate if you do need to wait or not.

MagicCoffee12.jpg

My surgeon recommended waiting at least a week before coffee, and then to try a sip and wait a while to see how it feels. It's not that the coffee itself is so acidic that it hurts, but because it's acidic, it can stimulate secretion of gastric acids in the stomach the increased amount of gastric acids at a time when you are healing is what can be painful.

I've spoken to some who had coffee almost right away without issue, some had to move to Decaf for a while and some just had to wait. I waited 2 weeks before trying any and when I did, I drank decaf for a few days before trying regular coffee. Luckily, it didn't irritate anything for me.

I would say to always listen to your own surgeons advice. Everyone is different, and he/she knows best based on your specific case.