Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please, teach me how to SIP. LOL

I spent the last 4 years training myself to drink 60-100 oz of Water a day. Most of it I chug at 32 oz in an hour intervals. Now, I am trying to learn to SIP my water and not drink with meals. Boy, that's not easy! So I find my self going "sip, sip, sip, sip, set down cup". So, how big is a sip? How many sips should I take in one lift of the cup? How many oz in an hour is too much or not enough? I never thought I'd have to ask someone to teach me how to sip at my age. LOL

Thanks for your help.

Guest ZenGarden

First off, don't stress! I was thinking the EXACT same as you before I was banded. During your recovery process, you need need to eat/drink very slowly so you can monitor how well things are moving down. As time goes on, you will be able to drink a lot more fluids at one time than you can immediately following surgery. I am 4-months post op and can 'chug' about 4 ounces without problems. Of course, the only way I can do this is on an empty stomach without ANY food in my pouch. Otherwise....puking

Wish you the best of luck and congrats on the surgery!

-Shannon

Wow... I'm in the exact same boat.. I fear I'm going to miss all this water! Then again, I've used Water for years as a replacement for food, so perhaps I won't feel the same attachment/need. Good luck. I'm sure you'll find what works foryou very quickly! :)

I am 2 days out of banding and I am PBing everything including Water and I am sipping very slowly. Spoke to the drs office and they said not to worry? Is my GI track just being overly sensitive?

Car, have you tried really cold Water? It might just be that your stomach is so swollen it cant cope. I'd keep pestering the doctor's office, and even push them to let you talk to the doctor, and not fob you off, as I believe too much vomiting can shift the band.

Guest ZenGarden

I am 2 days out of banding and I am PBing everything including Water and I am sipping very slowly. Spoke to the drs office and they said not to worry? Is my GI track just being overly sensitive?

Yes, that could very well be the problem. Some are more sensitive than others. I had no issues whatsoever post-op. Some say cold drinks make it worse; others argue that warm liquids can agitate the stomach. Just be careful and sip SLOWLY...only one ounce per sip and wait a few minutes in between sips.

GOOD LUCK and keep us posted on your progress.

-Shannon

Guest ZenGarden

Wow... I'm in the exact same boat.. I fear I'm going to miss all this water! Then again, I've used Water for years as a replacement for food, so perhaps I won't feel the same attachment/need. Good luck. I'm sure you'll find what works foryou very quickly!

NO WORRIES.....you won't 'miss' your water at all. You will just have to drink it much slower during the first couple of months and it will take FOREVER to get your 100 ounces per day. After you get used to having your band in a couple of months, you will be able to chug about 4-6 ounces of liquid on an empty stomach...you still have to be careful about NOT drinking during mealtime.

Thanks everyone!

I've been sipping about 5 ml.at a time, but not waiting for the results. The cold liquid sounds really good to my bruised diaphram. One of the lobes of my lungs had a hard time reinflating after surgery, so my diaphram took the hit.

I have been sipping/walking, soaking in hot baths (great way to relax the chest) and just giving up on intaking fuilds, which can't be good. What I wouldn't give for some Cream of Wheat now!

Off to the ref. for some very cold sippers. Let you know the results.

Thanks.

1 ounce per sip is waaaaaay too much if your pb-ing or even 1 or 2 days post op. Try using a medicine cup. It should hold about 2 tablespoons of liquid. As per 2 of the nurses who helped me during my hospital stay, you should have 2 to 4 sips from the medicine cup over the course of 15 minutes. Its just enough liquid to hit different parts of your mouth and trickle down your throat after you swallow. Try this and let us know how it turns out.

somewhere on this forum is a tip for how to sip without getting a lot of air. If anyone finds the link please post it here. I cant seem to find it. thanks

I was told by my nutritionist to use toddler sippy cups for liquids and don't drink from a straw because of the air intake. However, isn't easier to control the amount of liquid to use a straw versus a sippy cup? What do you think? I have school inservice the week of my banding and I would like to attend since I am a new teacher. I am nervous how my band and I are going to react that first week out.

new2tch

I have heard from everywhere that you do NOT want to use a straw because it lets in lots of air. You gotta suck up a lot of air to get the liquid up into your mouth. Apparently a lot goes down your gullet too.