Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psych Evaluation Was I Too Friendly?

So I had my psych evaluation this afternoon and I think that it went pretty well. As I posted in a previous thread I didn't really know what to expect going in and I was a little nervous about it. I got some really good advice from a few people about what to expect as well as some insight on the kinds of questions being asked. I talked with a young lady for about half an hour then I was taken to a room with a comfy chair and laptop to start on a series of true or false questions. The first part was 338 questions and the second was about 165 fairly straightforward questions to gage tour personality and how you cope with every day life situations. After I vompleted both parts the uoung lady came back into the room and sat down opposite of me to make sure that all of my questions were answered and validated.

As we were sitting there she started talking about how she was sleepy, and how the computers there run slowly, that she asked for upgrades and how she had a poor older woman who didn't understand how to use a computer and spent an entire hour not answering the questions when she actually thought that she was. From there she gave me a brief scare saying what did you do as if I messed up the questions but then she corrected herself saying that she was looking at the wrong person's file in the computer. She then said everything looks good on your end.

Afterwards we were discussing computers and how she bought her grandmother a kindle for Christmas and had not yet given it to her. This made me feel very comfortable speaking with her so afterwards as I was getting ready to leave I didn't know whether to shake her hand or give her a hug. I'm big on hugs because of my friendly personality so I said to her I'm a hugger and she didn't find any disagreement with it.

Afterwards I asked my husband was it wrong. His response was that it is a professional environment and that it was inappropriate, a handshake would have been more appropriate. What do you think? Was I being too friendly? Do you think that this would have any baring on her final analysis of me?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Edited by DivaSoBlessed

Nah, you're fine. Glad you made it through!

Thank you! That had me concerned. I wont get official confirmation until they send out the paperwork but I am soooo glad to be done with that part of it.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Edited by DivaSoBlessed

You're cool. The eval wasn't to see if you're "too friendly" or "too unprofessional" to have surgery. You're excited about the prospect of surgery and losing weight and you let it show. You're cool. The coolest. Adorable, in fact.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

I think women are very different in this sort of stuff. I'd have hugged too if I connected with her.

@@WLSResources/ClothingExch Thank you so much! I indeed was excited about opportunity that I have and I wasn't afraid to let her know it. I answered her questions as honestly as I could and when she asked me questions like what support system do I have? and what kind of complications can occur post surgery? I impressed her with just how much homework I had done in preparation for this entire process. All the same I am very happy to have gotten past this stage of the process. :D

@@Wonderkind My thoughts exactly!!!! I explained to my husband that I didn't see anything wrong with it but the way he put it had me doubting whether I had did something wrong. After sitting and talking to her I felt some kind of trust enough to give her a hug in thanks for her time talking to me. This was a pre-surgery evaluation but it felt like good therapy to talk to someone who had an outside perspective on what I was there for and what brought me to her office. It was uplifting to say the very least.

Omg....a friendly kind human being! No surgery for you!!! :)

You did just fine...

@@CowgirlJane Your comment just made my day! I'm chuckling uncontrollably while my husband looks at me as if I am losing my mind. This is the best comment of the day. Thanks. :D

@@Mytime2016 Thank you. In the most humble way that I could speak of myself I truly am a warm friendly person and I am now confident that this is the way that she saw it as well. :)

You sound like a wonderful person, I'm a hugger too...and I know she didn't mind.

You are excited about the upcoming surgery, lots of us were, I still am. I was nervous about meeting with the psychiatrist, but they know where our minds are.

You probably made her day!!

I have the same issue, I just can't seem to get enough Water in my system! Ugh...I have recently begun to give myself reminders to drink, I use my iPhone to notify me after an hour has expired to DRINK!

It seems to be working, I'm starting to be more aware of getting water into my system now. Hope this helps. Good luck!

@@Robin Leighbuchanan Its nice to know that I am not alone. I think that there is nothing wrong with giving someone a hug. We all could use one from time to time. I know that I could and its not to be inappropriate but a way of saying thanks and that things will be okay without saying it verbally. Thanks. :)

Uh oh!! I posted the prior comment on this page by accident! So so sorry!!!