Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was sleeved on the 20th and it has been a rough time from the start. Dry heaving at the hospital in recovering, I can't stay awake, and today I tried to get in all my liquids but can't. I've got almost 40 oz of Water. Gas pains have been horrible, the liquid and chewable meds make me want to gag, and my stomach is so sore. And to top it off, I've started my period. Please someone tell me it gets better soon. This is not what I expected.

I'm on day 2 also, and am having the opposite experience - i'm sorry yours is going so rough! I am doing a lot of walking around - it really helps a lot with the gas pains (helps to get rid of the gas, I think?!). Others have suggested using Gas-X strips (might also make you gag) which helps with the gas. I found that burping after each sip seemed to help.

I asked about why I was having no issues compared to others, the doctor said it's just that for some people, the swelling from the surgery just goes down faster, which makes it easier to swallow.

As far as the gross tasting meds etc - all I can suggest is suck it up and do the best you can for now - it will get better, and your meds can only help you get there faster!

the mantra I keep hearing: is sip sip sip walk walk walk

it works!

I've been having no issues as well. I do know the sip sip walk walk has been beneficial. looking forward to full liquids tomorrow and going home. Meds were rough but tolerated to promote getting better.

Hang in there.

It does get better with each passing day. I did not start to feel semi normal until day seven. I know you are tired but walking really helps with the gas pain. 40 ounces is not too bad for day two. You may want to try the chicken Soup flavored Protein I found the warmth of the soup help my tummy.

I started the day of my surgery.. I slept A LOT the first few days. Being tired is normal after major surgery. Your body is healing.

Actually you may be drinking too much if you're getting 40oz on day two post op. You're suppose to gradually get there. I wasn't drinking that much till maybe day 6ish. The fluids from the hospital helps you not get dehydrated. My surgeon gave me extra just in case.

Rest, drink, eat Popsicles. Repeat. It does get better. My period is still lingering, like day 12 ???? so be prepared for it to be wacky..

Thank you guys, I just heard so many people at support groups talk about how good they felt. I can barely hold my head up. I'm staying with my mom and she continues to wake me up to make sure I'm getting in the Fluid but I can't get the goal amount of 64oz. I'm still quite swollen in my belly. I can't wait till this feeling is over. I've never felt so awful in my life. If I would have known it would be like this I'm not sure if I would have done it.

I had my surgery the 18th, so I am 5 days out and already feeling much better. Still working toward Fluid and Protein goals but pain is much better and swallowing/drinking is easier. I had a rough first few days buy it gets a little easier every day.

@@jessmarie - I'm in the same boat as you. I had my sleeve on the 19th and after all the reading I did beforehand I was convinced I would be one of those "no issues at all with recovery".

Boy was I wrong. Broke down and cried to my sister yesterday. Want to give it time before I say I regret it, but it's much harder than I anticipated. I remember people saying they were having trouble getting all their fluids down and thinking "how hard can it be?" I was used to drinking over a gallon of Water a day.

My abdomen is in pain. I feel gassy & constipated. I'm lucky if I get 40 oz of liquid in. I bought Protein Jello from the hospital and the thought of them makes me want to gag. I'm praying it gets better real soon. I quit the heavy duty pain meds cause that's adding to my constipated feelings.

I clearly am not in control of this vehicle but I'm buckled up and hope the trip gets easier REAL SOON!

Thank you guys, I just heard so many people at support groups talk about how good they felt. I can barely hold my head up. I'm staying with my mom and she continues to wake me up to make sure I'm getting in the Fluid but I can't get the goal amount of 64oz. I'm still quite swollen in my belly. I can't wait till this feeling is over. I've never felt so awful in my life. If I would have known it would be like this I'm not sure if I would have done it.

I felt the same way , I felt trouble the first few days. But I felt so much better on day 4 . If your still taking pain meds, that is probably why your sleeping so much. It does get better!

I was sleeved on the 20th as well. This is day 3 for me. I was miserable to and instantly thought what did I do to myself. I do feel better today but I am no where near meeting my liquid and Protein goals. Gas spasms in stomach are lessening and are not as strong as they were. I can't use my cpap cause it causes me to have more gas. Still hoping each day I feel stronger. I am more awake today. I to thought I would be one to handle this easily but boy was I wrong!!

Jessmarie0102 - except for the period part, you are describing my first two day post op. If it helps, my turning point (for the better) was late on day 3.

I was sleeved on the 20th as well. This is day 3 for me. I was miserable to and instantly thought what did I do to myself. I do feel better today but I am no where near meeting my liquid and Protein goals. Gas spasms in stomach are lessening and are not as strong as they were. I can't use my cpap cause it causes me to have more gas. Still hoping each day I feel stronger. I am more awake today. I to thought I would be one to handle this easily but boy was I wrong!!

I am on day 5 and can promise day 4 is a major turning point!

I, too had my sleeve on the 20th. Day 3 is treating me well. I was finally able to get in all my Protein and water/liquid requirements. In fact, it seems my biggest struggle now is not gulping and keeping from daydreaming of the upcoming soft foods. I am SO HUNGRY! I'm beginning to wonder if they pulled out enough of my stomach. The doc told me that I would only be able to consume about 2.5 oz. at a time. But I can tell you that I can polish off my 10 oz. Protein shake relatively quickly.

I still do fell some pain- usually in the middle of the night the last couple nights. I just take my meds and it relieves the pain and puts me right to sleep.

Fluids are tough to get in...esp Protein. But once you get them in, it keeps your BP and temperature down. You can do it! Just focus on what you can stomach. For me Popsicles and apple juice are everything. Day 2 before being discharged from the hospital my nutritionist advised that my goal was 48-64oz a day, and that the closer to 64 I can get, the better.

@@cindyw41 - I got my sleeve done on the 15th and started my period about 48-hours before surgery, and now on day 9 it's still going. It sucks! But super glad to know I'm not the only one.

Edited by Afrikanaaa

My docs goal for Water for me was 30 oz. I struggled getting that. There is nothing wrong with sleeping. Your body is healing. Get your walking in..... Energy breeds energy. For goodness sake take your pain meds. Nothing wrong with that. I had not a single negative issue. I took my pain meds till I ran out. A lot of people refuse to take them. I'm not sure why but I sure as hell didn't want to hurt so I took them every four hours as prescribed. I did sleep a lot. I had no pain and felt really good.