Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've developed a bad habbit of weighing myself everyday. I don't know how I've got to become so obsessed with it but I'm on the scale every morning at home and every afternoon at work. I've been doing great since surgery ruffly two years ago but if I feel like I stress myself out by weighing everyday. Please give some pointers for my out of control weighing. I'm so close to just getting rid of my scale.

I weigh everyday to, but I know it is just a number and if it goes up that just tells me I have to watch what makes it to my plate. It really doesn't bother me that much. If it helps put the scale away for a while. I always weigh in the mornings and sometimes I will weigh in the evenings but I now know about how much the scale will go up durning the day and it doesn't make a difference in how I feel about myself. But if it bothers you, you need to get rid of it for a while as stress can/does cause weight gain!!

I weigh myself once each morning when I get up. I record the weight. I use this to evaluate the effect of my diet on my continued weight loss. It is not a negative obsession. If my weight goes up or down, I do not panic. It just informs me that my current approach may need some fine tweeking.

Weighing yourself daily can become negative if this obsession alters your mood. This habit can cause stress which can lead in-and-of-itself to some weight gain. If this is the case, avoid weighing yourself, throw the scale out and let them weigh you at your doctor appointments.

i was weighing myself everytime i went into my bathroom, it was driving me crazy. Now my wife hides the scale. It comes out on friday mornings for weigh in then its gone till the following week.

There's nothing innately "wrong" with weighing daily. Many experts actually recommend weighing daily once in maintenance to make sure your weight doesn't creep back up. But if the numbers on the scale are adversely affecting your mood, that's a different story. If seeing a small fluctuation up causes you panic and a small fluctuation down causes you joy, then you probably are doing yourself more harm than good and should cut back to just weighing weekly or even monthly. You need to be able to embrace and accept the daily fluctuations in weight that are completely normal. If you can't do that, then you should protect your sanity and stay off the scale.

My bariatrician told me to stop weighing myself so much and put the scale away for a month. I did and gained ten pounds. I am one of those people who needs to weigh every day to stay in touch with how I am doing.

On the other hand......in September of 2010 (right after I had moved to a new city), I had a mild stroke. When I went to my new primary doctor a month later, I told him that I was concerned that my blood pressure fluctuates so wildly. He asked me how did I know that it was. I showed him my notebook of what my blood pressure for every hour for that previous month.

He told me to not be so overwhelmed by fear of another stroke that I became obsessed with the numbers. He said "how I feel" is a better indicator of how I am doing, and to just measure once a day - maybe even just once a week...........Then he prescribed an anxiety medication for me.

When I went in for my first bariatric appointment, the bariatrician changed my med to Buproprion (a form of Wellbutrin) which two years later I am still taking. But I tell you what - I don't fret about much of anything anymore. Regret can't change yesterday and worry can't change tomorrow.

Your doctor may just want to prescribe a little something to take the edge off of your anxiety. My family calls it "Better living through chemistry".

I'm almost 4 months out and still logging everything and weighing in every morning. I'm only 8 pounds away from my goal and once I hit it, I plan to stop logging, but to continue to weigh in daily. To me, it's the easiest barometer to check up pn my maintenance program. If I'm up 5 pounds, I plan to go back to logging.

BTW, I weighed in every day for the past 10 years before WLS and it was the key driver to getting help.

bad habit of weighing myself everyday

@@Lovinlife48

i agree with OP that tell you to get rid of the scale (temporarily)

you control the scale - not the other way around!!! :rolleyes:

weigh yourself once a week ie monday

i've heard some people weigh before and after they go on toilet

are you kidding me - little drastic (silly to me)!!!

don't weigh yourself every day

people have been shot for less :lol:

good luck

kathy

This is a really good habit, not a bad one. If you want to stay at your goal weight or where you are right now the best way to do that is a daily reminder. I am 28 months post-op, I have been at goal for 10 months and the only reason that is the case is because I weigh myself every, single day. It is a way to be accountable to yourself. If I know I don't have to weigh in the morning, I eat way worse than I do if I know that I am going to have to answer for it on the scale in the morning. I also know immediately if I start to gain and I can make the corrections required to drop back into my goal weight zone within a few days. In October I started eating more junk and I watched the scale hit 134, then 136, then finally the morning after Halloween, 137. My comfort zone is 128-132 and once I start seeing 133 I start paying attention to what I am eating again. It took me almost 2 months to lose those damn 6 pounds to get back to my mid-range weight of 131, so if I had waited and gained 10 or 15 pounds, it would have been massively demoralizing to have to lose it again. I write down my weight everyday in a little pocket calendar so I can see trends. For example, usually on a Monday morning I am at my heaviest because I work a 16 hour day on Sundays and snack the whole time, however by Wednesday if I am not back in the 131 range I know I better go for a run and eat less. If I wasn't weighing I would have no idea how much I weigh and I would not be able to make corrections immediately. This past Monday I woke up at 133.4...so I ate less Monday and Tuesday and by Wednesday I was 132.0 and today I am 131.8, which is fine with me.

Weighing everyday is one of the few proven ways to ensure long term weight loss maintenance.