Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help me get these fluids down!

I had my bypass on 11/30 so I'm 8 days post-op today. My nutritionist's goal for me is 64 oz of Fluid including 60-80g of Protein. I am choking trying to get this Water down. I have tried 50/50 diluted clear juice, flavoring the Water with Dysani drops and iced tea drops (a number of flavors), and using sf Jell-O to fill in for a couple ounces here and there. I feel like I'm being waterboarded trying to get this down.

Additionally, it's very uncomfortable. I take small sips and even those are hurting every so often. I know I'm still healing, but ugh....my patience is wearing thin. Any recommendations on getting the job done? How long before I can swallow, belch, or heaven forbid hiccup without pain? The hiccup is the worst - you don't realize how much of your digestive system is involved in a hiccup until all of it is sore!

I can't take the oxycodone because it makes me horrifically itchy, the tylenol tablets were getting stuck and children's tylenol makes me gag, so on top of it I'm suffering through without any pain relief.

(By the way - if you want to just slap me and tell me to stop whining, I get it. I just reread what I wrote and I want to slap myself! Argh!!)

My nutritionist at my first follow up appointment said that nobody comes in and says "Yeah, I have been drinking all my Fluid and getting all the Protein in too." Your pouch is likely still swollen and sore from surgery. I would say do the best you can, but it not good to cause yourself to feel sick or in discomfort.

No one wants to slap you- it's hard and challenging in the beginning to find what works for you. It takes time and a lot of experimenting.

Some things that helped me: I needed my fluids ice cold, some people do better with room temperature and some with hot liquids. I had a lot of discomfort from trying to drink and even sip. What helped me was I put my liquid in a medicine cup and made that into three sips so each sip was so tiny. That helped the most.

Then came the struggle to find what fluids did best for me. I drank a lot of sugar free Vitamin Water, Sobe' water and propel. I had to try different flavors. Even water with drops added to it was uncomfortable. I lived on peach propel until about two months ago and now I can drink water with flavor drops.

Hang in there you will find what works for you. Good luck

Oxycodone gives me the itches too, but taking Benadryl really helps me with that. Ask your doctor if you're allowed to take antihistamines.

I had a lot of trouble with Water for the first 5 weeks - it really hurt to even drink a sip of it. I drank a lot of low sodium broth the first couple of weeks and then started to drink Powerade zero for a couple of weeks. At my 4 week NUT appointment I was encouraged to try Water again because of the sodium in broth and Powerade zero - - and slowly I transitioned back to water (using Crystal Light a lot) - at 7 weeks I drink almost exclusively water and occasionally some Crystal Light.

Hang in there and do what you have to - you definitely don't want to get dehydrated. Your pouch will most likely adjust as you heal and allow you to drink water again.

I discovered a flavored Water called "Fruit 2 O" that I purchase at Sam's Club. It's distributed by Sunny Delight. You might want to check it out. It comes with raspberry, strawberry, grape, and lemon flavors. I like it better than some of the other flavored waters.

I also use carnation instant Breakfast (no sugar added) with a cup of milk for Breakfast. That helps my liquids. I also started adding a scoop of powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein this morning, so it was 34 grams of Protein, too! Some people say we're not really absorbing more than 25g in an hour but...i don't know anything about that.

i also drink a pure Protein Drink once a day and that has 35 grams in it. So between those two, i meet the protein requirement without any problem.

I had my RNY on December 1, so i'm right there at the same place you are.

You have to work up to it. Keep a Water bottle with you at all times. Sip whenever you aren't eating. Strive each day to get more in.

I don't think it's an issue at this point-surgery 12/2/15. I was told not to worry about meeting Protein or Water req's so soon after surgery. I was only able to drink 17 oz of Water at first. Yesterday I drank 34 oz. But, I am also eating alot of sugar free popcycles. I'd say they're my savior.

Do the best you can without making yourself sick.

@@Jasley, this is VERY common, hang in there. I was told not to even worry about Protein for the first month, just focus on Fluid so you do not become dehydrated! I think back and remember drinking out of a 2oz medicine cup and how frustrating it was then (I started with Carnation Instant Breakfast). You just have to keep pushing, even if it is 2oz at a time. Now, I am 6 months post op and on a daily basis I drink 8 ounces of fairlife milk in my morning shake and then get a 32oz tea on my way to work (and wow, is it so much easier once you can drink from a straw again) and then will drink at least one 20oz bottle of Water. As for flavors, I can't help much, all I like is tea and occasionally raspberry ice crystal light. I have tried the Protein2O and Isopure and both made me gag. So, again, just hang in there, I promise it does get easier

Thank you all so much for your wonderful advice and encouragement. I am now 13 days post op and have found that drinking is much easier! WHEW! I learned to stop timing myself to drink every 15 minutes as my NUT instructed and just sip Water all day long. I'm able to get all my fluids down now and feel much better! NOW I want FOOD!!! LOL