Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Selfish? Work wise.

I posted this in general but am planning on the sleeve so I wanted to touch base with everyone here due to the need for time off. Sorry if it is all over the place below, I had a really tough emotional day.

I should know this week when will have surgery but should be mid Dec. I am a little concerned as I just got back from a 10 day vacation from work. I give my all to my job and to be honest my job doesn't really care much about their employees but I do have a concern that I will be taking off.

I don't want to tell them the reason for fear they will feel it is elective and I could wait (technically i could but job stability is an issue) I guess I just needed to vent and see what others have to say about feeling bad for your job.

I know it sounds silly, most people i know think I am crazy but I feel overwhelmed at leaving my area in the state it is in (I am a district manager) but I also feel I have almost 100 hours that can be used towards FMLA and I should take time that I need.

My plan is to base it off of what the doctor suggests and then I could always try to go back part time or work from home.

Does anyone else have this stress going on when it comes to time off work? Am I being selfish as I just had vacation. (Vacation was booked earlier this yeay way before my WLS path)

I think everyone is different but, personally I went back to work after 1 week off and do feel I could have done it sooner. I work in a factory and gave a fairly physically demanding job so I hope this shines some light on your situation. All in all I had zero pain and only some discomfort and tightness from a hernia repair.

I posted this in general but am planning on the sleeve so I wanted to touch base with everyone here due to the need for time off. Sorry if it is all over the place below, I had a really tough emotional day.

I should know this week when will have surgery but should be mid Dec. I am a little concerned as I just got back from a 10 day vacation from work. I give my all to my job and to be honest my job doesn't really care much about their employees but I do have a concern that I will be taking off.

I don't want to tell them the reason for fear they will feel it is elective and I could wait (technically i could but job stability is an issue) I guess I just needed to vent and see what others have to say about feeling bad for your job.

I know it sounds silly, most people i know think I am crazy but I feel overwhelmed at leaving my area in the state it is in (I am a district manager) but I also feel I have almost 100 hours that can be used towards FMLA and I should take time that I need.

My plan is to base it off of what the doctor suggests and then I could always try to go back part time or work from home.

Does anyone else have this stress going on when it comes to time off work? Am I being selfish as I just had vacation. (Vacation was booked earlier this yeay way before my WLS path)

You absolutely should take whatever time you need. You do not have to tell anyone what you are having done. I just told people at work that I was having surgery. No one asked what it was for and I didn't tell them. If you plan on doing the FMLA paperwork, though, you will have to disclose on the paperwork what you are having done, but that is only supposed to be seen by your HR/FMLA person. I chose not to tell people mainly for the reason you said. I didn't want people to resent me for taking time off for something they viewed as elective. And I CERTAINLY didn't tell them what I was taking a month of for with my tummy tuck! lol.

I took 4 weeks off for my sleeve. Physically I felt really good at 5 days post op, and GREAT at two weeks. The hardest part was getting g used to my new diet and not having to juggle work (I work as an RN is a very busy OBGYN office) and eating/drinking was a huge benefit to me. I used those four weeks to heal, focus on good hydration and nutrition, and getting out and walking every day. I think 4 weeks was perfect!

Wish I had taken longer. I took 2 weeks and have been so tired and exhausted after just going back part time. I'm getting the cold shoulder from some of my coworkers because it was considered elective. I'm still glad I did it for me though. The worst that could happen is getting the cold shoulder at your work, and they will get over it soon. You have to look at it as doing this for your health, elective or not. I say don't feel guilty, treat yourself first!