Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone familiar with this?

Not sure where I got this from but wanted to get some opinions on these Protein supplements? Also, is their a max of protein that you body can intake at one time? I was thinking about mixing this in with some Greek yogurt. Thanks in advance!

post-257721-14464799341271_thumb.jpg post-257721-14464799476156_thumb.jpg post-257721-14464799604386_thumb.jpg post-257721-14464799724328_thumb.jpg post-257721-14464799825042_thumb.jpg post-257721-14464799917471_thumb.jpg post-257721-14464800040711_thumb.jpg post-257721-14464800123244_thumb.jpg

Those are some of the more popular Protein powders. Whether you like them or not really is just a matter of taste. There are literally dozens of threads for and against each one discussing at length which ones they do and do not like and how they use them. Try using the search feature and looking for protein powders. It should bring them up.

I didn't look at all of them but as long as you keep the ratio of carbs to Protein low (like with Syntrax nectar) then you should be ok.

I was advised to not have more than 20-25 grams of Protein at a time. I do drink Premier Protein which has thirty grams of protein, but if you drink them slow, you should be ok.

Just beware of the ones that have double-digit carb counts and low protein.

I personally like both Matrix and Nectars. My surgeon's office sells both so I would take that as an endorsement by them.

I have read that the human body cannot digest more than a certain amount of Protein at a time. The numbers I have seen vary from 20-30 grams. What I recall is that most of the studies regarding the high Protein at one meal was done for body builders. That having higher amounts of protein per meal did not result in better building om muscle mass. It seems to me that this has then been twisted into the thought that we cannot absorb/digest more than X grams of protein per meal.

I have not been able to find legit research that has been done to document how much protein is too much protein per meal as it applies to normal everyday people not body builders and their goals. I certainly have not been able to find how it relates to bariatric patients.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and may be way off base with what I am reading.

If somebody has a link to research on how much protein is too much protein from a legit source I would love to read it.

Most doctors tell their patients to get 60-80 grams of Protein a day. If you consume too much Protein it can cause kidney damage. Your doctor can screen your urine to see if you are consuming too much protein.

As far as Protein shakes go, I just stick to brands sold at Walmart. However, that's me. You can buy whatever you like as it's your personal preference.

Most doctors tell their patients to get 60-80 grams of Protein a day. If you consume too much Protein it can cause kidney damage. Your doctor can screen your urine to see if you are consuming too much protein.

As far as protein shakes go, I just stick to brands sold at Walmart. However, that's me. You can buy whatever you like as it's your personal preference.

Thanks. I was more so referring to how much you can digest at one time. I try to aim for 80 grams of protein and I'm at week 4.

I didn't look at all of them but as long as you keep the ratio of carbs to Protein low (like with Syntrax nectar) then you should be ok.

I was advised to not have more than 20-25 grams of Protein at a time. I do drink Premier Protein which has thirty grams of protein, but if you drink them slow, you should be ok.

Just beware of the ones that have double-digit carb counts and low protein.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I will confirm with my nutritionist but this is something good to keep in mind until then. Don't want to cause damage to my body.

I personally like both Matrix and Nectars. My surgeon's office sells both so I would take that as an endorsement by them.

I have read that the human body cannot digest more than a certain amount of protein at a time. The numbers I have seen vary from 20-30 grams. What I recall is that most of the studies regarding the high protein at one meal was done for body builders. That having higher amounts of protein per meal did not result in better building om muscle mass. It seems to me that this has then been twisted into the thought that we cannot absorb/digest more than X grams of protein per meal.

I have not been able to find legit research that has been done to document how much protein is too much protein per meal as it applies to normal everyday people not body builders and their goals. I certainly have not been able to find how it relates to bariatric patients.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and may be way off base with what I am reading.

If somebody has a link to research on how much protein is too much protein from a legit source I would love to read it.

Thanks Nikki, this is perfect! Will definitely follow up with my NUT!

The Syntrax nectar are one of the only ones I can stomach. I especially like their fruit flavors because I mix them with Water and it isnt as thick. I also use their unflavored powder too.

My NUT told me not to do more than 25-30g of Protein at once, and if it is at the higher end to take it slow so my body has time to process it a bit. The unflavored is 10g per scoop, so that is what I add to greek yogurt, cottage cheese, etc.

Tou do not want anything with "concentrate" on it (like premier protein). Your body doesn't absorb all of the Protein. You want a protein isolate (pure protein not a concentrate) and it usually wont have many ingredients. For example Premier Protein shakes boost 30g of protein per shake but because they aren't a pure protein your body won't absorb them all.. so you are only really 12g protein per shake.

I believe common thought is the body cannot absorb more than 30 grams Protein per hour. I usually make a Protein shake that is 31 - 38 grams total. I drink half before my workout and half post workout. It balances out because I am ingesting this over a 3 hour period.

I prefer the Syntrax Nectars mixed with Water, and prefer the fruit flavors and the Cappuccino flavor. Add lots of ice and it doesnt even taste like a Protein drink (to me).