Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psychotropic meds

I am ready to cancel my sleeve because I'm so scared that my antidepressants won't work for me after my surgery. I have read and researched so much that I'm literally having panic attacks about it. Talked with my psych np and got no real answers either. I have a history of depression and am scared now to have this surgery, but need to lose the weight for health reasons.

Why would your antidepressants not work? There are a lot of people who continue to take these medications after having this type of surgery. I would suggest talking to both your primary care doctor and your surgeon and asking for their input. In theory, the drug is absorbed in your small intestine, so a smaller stomach really shouldn't be an issue. A whole lot of people who have had this surgery have had both depression and anxiety and I have really not read any posts about anyone having an issue with their medication after surgery.

I resumed taking my antidepressant the day after surgery. If anything, my depression has lessened since having surgery.

That said, keep in mind that in the few weeks after surgery some people do experience mood swings. Its probably a combination of: dehydration, effects from the trauma of surgery, etc. but mostly because of the rapid release of hormones from stored fat and no longer being able to use food to regulate moods.

This is when a lot of people post on here about regretting the surgery, etc.

I definitely think that with the help of your medical team, you can weather the emotional turmoil and it doesn't last forever.

I hope you won't make a rash decision without talking to your therapist and/or surgeon. If your surgeon has a psychologist on staff who is familiar with bariatric patients then definitely talk to him or her before you pull the plug.

Best of luck and I hope you find the support you need to make a more informed decision.

I heard that Prozac actually works better when you have less fat because it will attach itself to fat cells thereby decreasing its effectiveness. That would mean you would need less after weight loss. I'm not sure if this is the same with all anti-depressants though.

I can tell you my personal experience with meds. I take Prozac, Wellbutrin and Abilify. The first two months after surgery (in May 2015) were somewhat difficult as I had mild to moderate depression due to the rapid weight loss, hormones, fatigue etc. After that I started to bounce back. I have not changed a single dosage in my meds and now I feel great. I do not have any problems with absorption and would do this surgery again. I recommend that you discuss this with your psychiatrist rather than np. The psychiatrist deals with weight/medication issues frequently and is likely to have patients who have already undergone a bariatric procedure. My psychiatrist supported my decision to get sleeved and said it has helped other patients as well. I don't mean to indicate that medication absorption problems aren't possible, just that it didn't happen to me. A psychiatrist can help you make an informed decision.

I think some of my depression/anxiety was due to carb withdrawal. I would ABSOLUTELY not let this stop you. I had NO problems with my meds after surgery. I take my mental health very seriously, so I can totally understand your fear.

DO NOT let this stop you from surgery! I actually went off my SSRI post surgery (not saying that's right for you-discuss with doc) because my depression and anxiety have all but gone away post-surgery. That being said, I am still on a mood stabilizer, really only because the withdrawal sucks, but I didn't have to change the dose. But again, work with your doc along the way. My unsolicited 2 cents- many times depression is behavioral and situational. I've found therapy to be 100x more effective than meds. But it's a completely personal choice. Best of luck!

I also take these meds, and I was just wondering if any one had issues actually taking your meds after surgery. I remember after I had my lap band ( which was removed in 2012) I had to crush all my meds.

I also take these meds, and I was just wondering if any one had issues actually taking your meds after surgery. I remember after I had my lap band ( which was removed in 2012) I had to crush all my meds.

I was sleeved and was able to take everything in pill form the day after surgery.

I was told the difference between taking pills with the lapband or bypas and sleeve is that with the sleeve the entrance to the stomach isn't restricted/narrowed.

My husband was sleeved 9 mos ago. He was also able to swallow all his meds the day after surgery when he came home.

The question I'm having a problem getting an answer to is do I take the short or long acting form of my antidepressants after surgery?

Thank you

Extended release meds are no longer an option for me. It was an easy fix - they simply changed to tablet vs capsule and increased from once a day to 2-3 times a day. I never missed a beat. Don't let your meds stop you. That worried me, too. But I'm so glad I moved ahead. I'm sure you will, too. Best of luck!!

Hmm... I have chronic anxiety and depression, and have been on meds for 10+ years. In all of our discussions, my surgeon nor any of my doctors have ever mentioned anything about my meds having the possibility of not working, which would be a deal breaker for me since I know better than to go off of them.

I would talk to your surgeon and/or NUT if you're concerned, and before making the decision to cancel such a life changing surgery. Good luck!

I've been taking a first generation MAOI and occasionally Klonapin before and after surgery and they both work the same as before.