Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You got room for another 'round here ?

Howdy folks.

I hope all are doing well today.

I've had a lot of activity leading up to today and now it slows down for a short while.

I had my pre-op with my surgeon yesterday, pre-op with the hospital yesterday and my EGD this morning and it went really smoothly.

Seems like it's been a whirlwind of activity.......checklist items completed.....one after another after another. NUT, Physche evals, appointments, workshops, education and etc.

Now I'm done with all that and can relax. I started my 14 days of liquid diet this morning after the EGD. I can tell it's going to suck.....but, that's just part of it. The NUT guideline says I can have 5 Protein Shakes per day (from the approved list of Protein powders and ready-made shakes), however my surgeon is sticking to his guns.....he says only 3.

I've lost 40 pounds since deciding to do the surgery......it wouldn't surprise me to lose 20 more during this next two weeks.

The whole time I was seeing my first surgeon it was a foregone conclusion that I would have bypass (my choice). I chose this thinking it would offer the most benefit long term and I'd make biggest changes with it. He supported it.

As things progressed...and my insurance really started to present delays and roadblocks.....I switched over to the other local option. It's another bariatric center.....a center of excellence and is much larger than that previous program I was in.

More insurance delays after switching over the center of excellence finally made me made enough to tell them to piss off. I self funded the procedure and things began moving at a very fast pace. I'd completed 2 of my required 6 months diet when I made this decision. I'm able to have the surgery in the 4th month vs waiting what was actually going to most likely take several months more.

My employer is dropping our current insurance provider and doing open enrollment now for our new provider.....things were being delayed to the point where I could see my late December surgery being pushed back well into next year.....new deductibles to meet with a new provider to work with........arggghhhhhh. At best they were going to pay only 50%. The decision to self fund actually was cheaper for me in the long run. Crazy, insane scenario but a testament to the games played by insurance companies.

Anyway.....the new surgeon has been good. He's been upfront and consistent in his message from the first time I met with him.

He's sees my very pronounced umbilical hernia and knows that is going to be a large repair to work around. Today he also found the hiatal hernia that he's repairing at the same time.

He's concerned over my high bmi and doing the bypass at this point. He said it could be very tight having to pull it far up to reconnect it. He reserves the right to make a decision once inside to go with the sleeve after looking around and evaluating. He's done many of these and I trust his judgement. If it's not safe, then its just not safe.

The options were for me to delay the surgery and keep dieting for a couple more months and burn off some of the internal fat to provide more room........or do the sleeve now.

He maintains that he's seen equal effectiveness with each procedure in terms of weight loss in his 8 years of practice.

He also is aware of my poor knees and back injury situation and prior surgeries as well as the fact that nsaids are a source of relief for me.

I don't have reflux trouble.

There were other reasons he went into as well that everything in his opinion was pointing me towards having a sleeve not bypass.

So......after a long night staying up reading, studying, evaluating......I told him this morning that a sleeve was what I wanted to do.

Ordered my Vitamins, Iron, B12, D, Protein powder and Calcium. I know what I'll be taking to the hospital. Have my script for post-op pain meds. Recliner and extra pillows for the bed are ready....

A couple more weeks.....

I think you are right to trust your surgeons judgement. He is the expert after all! Though I know it can be disappointing and disorienting to not get the surgery you planned on, especially when you had probably done a lot of research on bypass over the past couple months. From my own research, it seems that the long term weight loss and success of sleeve is very similar to bypass. The main difference in outcome seems to be that bypass patients tend to lose more quickly. But this isn't a race, so I don't see that as a huge advantage unless you really just have so much weight to lose that it's an immediate risk to your health and getting the weight off fast gives you the best chance to survive.

I think there are a lot of advantages to sleeve over bypass, once you look past the rate of loss. There is much lower risk of malabsorption and long-term complications. Both surgeries have their pros and cons and both can be successful. Both are just tools to help you on your journey, not solutions in and of themselves. So as long as you are committed to making the most of your WLS and doing what it takes, you can be successful. I wish you the best of luck!

@@Dub Yay! I think the sleeve is pretty fabulous but I'm a bit partial. I've lost more than my girlfriend who had GB but we are all different. I don't take any Vitamins or anything and my labs are perfect! She was told she will have to take vitamins for life. Both procedures will work if you do your part. I don't discriminate. I also let my surgeon tell we what he felt was best for me. I went in thinking GB on the first visit but he said no. I didn't even know what a sleeve was so I was a little aggravated and stared some major research. I'm glad I trusted is opinion because I feel like it was perfect for me. Can't wait until you're on the other side with us "losers".

You sound like you are very well prepared and have a great mindset going into this! This place is a wonderful resource and nice source of support. Glad to have you join us on the losers bench!

@@Dub Welcome! I, like many, love my sleeve. I had an "uneventful" recovery, and things have been great for me. I just follow my surgeons and nutritionist's rules and eat my Protein first, drink my Water, get in all my steps, and I feel wonderful. I didn't want to lose all my weight right away. I wanted it to be at a slower rate so my skin would keep up, ,and so far, I'm petty stoked about my results. I haven't hit goal yet, but like others have said, it is not a race. I hope to be close to goal by my one year surgiversary, but that doesn't mean at a year the weight loss has to stop. If I don't meet my goal by then, I will continue to follow the rules and continue to lose it in a healthy way. The tool doesn't stop working at a year. The tool works as long as you work the tool. Take care!!

Thank each of you.

It's been a wild ride but it's settling down now.

I'm indeed ready to join you guys on the other side........save me a seat on the loser's bench. :D

I'm really pumped up and ready. These next two weeks are going to go pretty quick......I hope.

@@Dub Quick? Ha!! Keep dreamin buddy! But I admire your gusto!

I think you're making the right decision. And I think you'll be equally successful with either procedure. So happy things are moving along for you!

Sounds like you are prepared and ready for the big day. For me the worst part was the anticipation. Once I was rolled into surgery time has flown by.

I started with a high BMI and went with the sleeve. I wasn't interested in bypass and my surgeon is a huge proponent of the sleeve. I couldn't be happier with my choice, my surgeon, my recovery, and my progress.

I hope the next weeks pass uneventfully for you.

@@Dub Quick? Ha!! Keep dreamin buddy! But I admire your gusto!

I know, right. It's gonna suck.....but it'll roll along.

Diet Snapple is my new friend.

Gonna stay busy.

I think you're making the right decision. And I think you'll be equally successful with either procedure. So happy things are moving along for you!

Thank you !

@@Dub - I have your seat saved little brother! welcome to the sleeved side of the WLS family.

I have a high bmi for my night 5'3 and my bmi is 49 but my Surgeon is letting me do the sleeve as well because I don't feel comfortable rerouting my intestines

October 13th is getting closer.

Amazed at how the pounds are falling off on the pre-op diet. It'd be great if I had of simply done the pre-op for a year. Lol.....tried and failed. It's easy now because I have that short-term razor focus. I can handle it knowing things may be different on the other side. May not have the hunger I'm having now.

Trying to think of everything I'll need and get it done. Working long shifts until Wednesday.....off Thursday.......then working Friday, Saturday & Sunday, too. Off Monday and having surgery on Tuesday.

Acquiring all the supplements, Protein, New Balance slip-on sneakers and such.

Ordered a couple memory foam body pillows.

Bought a new recliner two weeks ago. Planning on sleeping in it the first few days. Gonna be sore from a massive abdominal hernia & hiatal hernia he'll be repairing when he does the sleeve. The recliner is made for big & tall guys and is much easier to stand up from.

I want to be moving around as much as possible....constantly sipping on Water will ensure this. I didn't want to be getting in and out of bed so much like I did with the last two abdominal hernia repairs. They were both open type procedures. Hoping that this time things will go easier due to laparoscopic method.

I'm looking through the Comcast, AppleTV & Netflix menus and lining up fun stuff to watch.

I've only seen an episode or two of Boardwalk Empire so I may do a total series binge watch on that. Just did Homeland that way, too.

Getting my iTunes updated for the hospital. Good music may help pass the time.

Post-op pain medication is being filled by pharmacy this morning.

What else should I consider ?

26l7kGN.png

MayoFHS.png

IlOcLSS.png

I know that I shouldn't be having this stuff.......but it is my "cheater" food.....this and the sugar-free Jello and popsicles.

3wF3tF3.png

I need to get some broth that I can add some Mrs Dash to. Kinda like Soup.