Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Single Mother prepping!

So I just started my 6 month supervised dieting! Hoping to get my sleeve done in March 2016. I am a single mother of a 8 year old girl and a 7 year old boy. It is pretty much just us 3. I will have minimal help after my surgery. I want to be as prepared as possible. I haven't taken a day off in over 2 years so I have vacation time for my surgery and also got a second job to save up extra money if needed.

What foods and supplies should I stock up on so I don't depend on someone driving my to the store? What was the thing you wish you did before surgery because you are to wore out to do after? What things would I want at home to get me through the first 2 weeks?

All and any advise is welcome from what to take to the hospital to what to wear at home!!

Thanks!! Single mom entering a new territory, a lot nervous!

I would ask a friend/family to stay with you for a week post surgery. There is A LOT of variation on pain, ability to move around, etc. You could be one of the lucky ones that just bounces out of bed with no real slow down (I have read about these people, but I am a little dubious on their experience) or like most of us, 5-7 days (including hospital) when moving around is a bit difficult and we tire extremely easy. I would HIGHLY recommend you don't try and go this alone for a week post op and have someone that can drive you home from the hospital.

I would try to have someone on call in case you or your kids need something, but I was one of the lucky ones who got released next day and did some shopping that day. I did get tired more easily for a while, but I was baking and cooking for my inlaws who were in town at the time during that first week out of the hospital. They did all the laundry since that required more lifting and they also did stuff like get out the mixer and lift the casserole dish stack out of the cupboard, etc. I would probably focus on making sure that you and your kids have a lot of clean clothes since it will be a little bit before you want to be twisting/bending. They are probably old enough to help out with some of the house stuff by now (loading/unloading dishwasher or washer/dryer with supervision). Make sure that you have a few meals prepped for them for when you get home. There are lots of make ahead and freeze recipes that you can do so you won't have to be prepping meals right when you get home. (I just made a couple of small lasagnas for my husband.) I would keep some Protein shake powder and rtd Protein shakes on hand, maybe a bottle or two of Isopure for the first couple days when you're on Clear liquids, also maybe some boullion/broth. One thing I didn't think about before hand was gauze/clear adhesive meant to keep Water out of incisions. That was one thing we had to go to the store for. (They told me that my incisions could go in the shower fine, but I was too paranoid, so I cleaned them separately after my shower for the first week).

I hope everything goes great :)

Single mom entering a new territory, a lot nervous!

@@bbrookmedic

welcome, welcome, welcome

many people experience gas pains PO

you can buy gas strips

starting PO at hospital

walk as much as possible to get rid of the gas

chapsticks

bring your own pillow too

buy crystal lite - Water (no booze LOL)

if you are having problems drinking

try room temperature water

you must drink very slowly

small sips

buy Jello

popsicles

one week pre-op buy ONE container of Protein shakes

don't buy more because your taste buds might change

what you liked before, maybe you won't like later

ask doc/NUT pre-op what kind of vitamins/shakes they recommend

some times they will give free samples - ASK

buy ONE can of Protein shake

don't stock up - taste buds frequently change

what you tried pre-op you might not like the taste PO

I wore sweat pants to hospital

i knew my poor little tummy would be hurting PO

the elastic helped

sorry you won't have must help at home

your kids are a "little" older

"maybe" they'll understand (to a point)

mommy is sick and they

could help by being "good"/quiet so you can rest

you could always send them out in the

middle of the road to play

KIDDING, KIDDING, KIDDING :D

prepare meals ahead of time for the

kids

just heat up later

easy peezy :)

its true that many people are extremely tired PO

a little sick/problems

but i know WE mothers

will work through our pain (like you have to deal with kids

when you are sick, have a cold, you still have to care for them)

many people have simple/normal issues PO

no real problem (me)

continue to read this board

ask your question

you might/probably will see similar questions to what you have thought about

read replies suggestions, experiences

at the end of the day ONLY LISTEN TO YOUR NUT (nutritionist)

they are the ones in the know

good luck

kathy

Good luck I'm a single mom as well of three children 11,9,9. I'm gonna stock up on all the shakes I need and make dinners for a week.

I'm a single mom as well! Fortunately, my mom was able to come down for the week when I had surgery. I did make sure I was prepped for when she left with foods my 8 year old could grab himself- pbj, yogurt, microwave popcorn, fruit... that helped tremendously.

THANK YOU ALL. A LOT OF GOOD IDEAS! MY PARENTS ARE BOTH PASSED SO I ONLY REALLY HAVE MY EXHUSBANDS MOTHER THAT HELPS WITH THE KIDS. I AM THINKING OF STAYING AT HER HOUSE FOR A FEW DAYS AFTER SURGERY.