Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psych eval - is this normal?

I just went to my psych eval and it seemed a bit weird. He said I would have to come back 3 times to know if I can handle the surgery. He asked me one question and then stuck me in a room to do a 344 question test. He says im going to have to do an IQ test too. I know that other people have gone to one session for less than an hour and that was it. It seems like he just wants my business. Has anyone else had this issue? Is this normal? Thanks!

My psych evaluation was Tuesday. I answered a lot of questions verbally...maybe 40 minutes worth. At the end I was told that she didn't see why I wouldn't be cleared. She faxed my clearance to the Dr that same day.

Edited by Cindy Osborne

I was told my psych eval would take 4 hours! I'm not sure why yet.

My other option for my eval was a doctor who wanted 3 visits. He was just too far away for 3 visits so I choose Dr. 4 Hour

I only had one visit with my Psych doctor. I had to answer the 300 questions and then our evaluation session lasted about one hour. He told me he would clear me for surgery and faxed a letter to my doctor while I was there. Seemed pretty painless.

I'm sorry yours seems to be a bit more difficult. :(

I had my pysch evaluation done yesterday and it was more of a conversation with occasional questions. No test and I was cleared. Maybe you're insurance requires all of this? It seems like such a pain, sorry! But hopefully you get cleared! (:

I had to watch ten hours worth of videos and take tests on them.....before the eval.

There was another test that was serial pages long.

Then there was the eval. She was supercool and extremely good looking. It was simply like having a nice conversation.

My bariatric center gave out a list of 15 or so doctors and what insurances they took. I chose the closest one that took my insurance, which was about 20 minutes away. The appointment lasted less than an hour. She took notes, asked me a few questions about my history with food, emotional eating, why i wanted the surgery, where I wanted to be in 5 years, 10 years, 20 years, and that was that. No muss, no fuss. Sorry yours seems to be crazy. An IQ test? That's very, very strange... The whole purpose of these evals are to make sure that you're not crazy or that you don't have an eating disorder that surgery won't be able to help.

My psych eval was rescheduled to this coming week, so I don't know how the process goes exactly, but I do know it's just 1 visit for an hour so it can't be THAT much stuff. My surgeon's office is a center of excellence so there is a psych in the office, along with a NUT. They said we could choose others, but these are his preferred because they know what the process involves and how to get you want you need to be successful and get through the insurance hoops.

I went with www.BariatricPsychEvaluations.com. Granted, it was for a revision, but it was quick and painless and only cost $100. I was on the phone with the psychologist for less than half an hour, and they sent everything to my doctor very quickly.

I just went to my psych eval and it seemed a bit weird. He said I would have to come back 3 times to know if I can handle the surgery. He asked me one question and then stuck me in a room to do a 344 question test. He says im going to have to do an IQ test too. I know that other people have gone to one session for less than an hour and that was it. It seems like he just wants my business. Has anyone else had this issue? Is this normal? Thanks!

Mine was similar. The 300 plus question test seemed rather odd. The questions were bizarre. It's been almost a week and I still know nothing about how it went.

A 300+ question test? Wow.

There's a psychologist on my weight loss surgery team, and I met with her for 30 minutes. She and I had a nice casual talk - she asked me some questions, I asked some of her, we talked back and forth, and that was it.

I am going through a center of excellence at Vanderbilt in Nashville and my face to face psyc evaluation was an hour then I had to do the questionnaire that was well over 300 questions. At the end of the face to face she told me she would be referring me for the surgery and the questionnaire was basically to look for certain behavioral patterns. It mainly asked the same things many different ways to be sure that the patient is not a drug addict, alcoholic, or suicidial.