Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am and have been very constipated despite taking a woman's laxative daily. I thought at first it is due to all of the Calcium I take, then they checked my thyroid (it was normal) so I was thinking I am going to have to live with this. This can't be normal, so I began researching, reading about diverticulitis, and it talks about possible pain in the left side (which I have occasionally) and it says they look at the RBC to see if it is low (which is a sign of to few red blood cells possibly bleeding in the colon ~ which when they checked my thyroid it was low) damn internet allowing me access to all of this information.

Anyone have problems with this? I am 20 months out.

Don't panic. Self-diagnosing on the internet is a slippery slope! Definitely talk to your doctor, but wait for a real diagnosis. Hopefully you can get it figured out!

@@samelton68 - Iron constipates me so for the moment I am not taking any additional beyond my flintstones chewable. I was taking a supplement of 27mg. I just did BW post-op for the first time (surgery was 5/6). Nurse said to go off extra iron and we will see where my levels are on 9/8. with Miralax daily and extra veggie I am good.

Drink Metamucil every day. It's the only thing that is safe to take long term. It just adds a lot of fiber to your system. I mix it up in crystal lite and drink it as fast as I can. It does not taste bad, it just gets thick if you don't drink it fast. It works wonders if you drink it every day. I buy the unflavored Walmart brand. There is the brand name one, but I think it's orange flavored.

How much Water are you drinking?

and extra veggies. Its the fiber that are going to move things along.

I drink over a gallon of water a day and I eat lettuce salad at lunch with a serving of humas, and the lettuce salad for dinner with tuna

Drink Metamucil every day. It's the only thing that is safe to take long term. It just adds a lot of fiber to your system. I mix it up in crystal lite and drink it as fast as I can. It does not taste bad, it just gets thick if you don't drink it fast. It works wonders if you drink it every day. I buy the unflavored Walmart brand. There is the brand name one, but I think it's orange flavored.

I didn't think it was allowed for sleevers

I have to take Iron I am anemic, going to try the Metamucil

A probiotic daily has been very helpful to me. I still occasionally need miralax though.

My surgeon is the one that suggested it so it must be okay for sleevers to take Metamucil. It's husks. It's natural, not a chemical. Almost every thing else says not to use long term. This is a long term problem for me.

Since using metamucil daily, I am finally going normally.

Thanks I already take a probiotic daily.

I am not constipated now, I took that nasty clear liquid yesterday around 3 pm and this morning at 5:30 it began to work, now I will followup with some Metamucil daily.

Doesn't Metaucil have quite a few carbs? I could be wrong. The benefit from it probably outweighs the extra carb intake.

I've been having Constipation the past few months despite eating lots of fibrous fruits and vegetables everyday. My bariatrician told me to TRIPLE dose the Miralax every morning. Yesterday was the first time I did this and it cleared me out pretty good. Although I'm not sure how safe a triple dose is daily. I'm going to get a second opinion. Also, Miralax isn't that cheap unless I can find a good generic.