Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Member - 12 Weeks Post-Op

Hi there! I just found this forum site yesterday and didn't hesitate to join. I am 12 weeks post-op (RNY) and so far things are going pretty well. My starting weight was 250 lbs and I've just hit 199 lbs so I'm down 51 lbs! I'm 43 with 3 young children (6yrs, 4yrs & 3 yrs) and have been overweight and obese for most of my life. I've lost weight many times in the past, only to gain it all back (and then some) over the years. Many health issues on both sides of my family (diabetes, heart disease, cancer), and the fact that I want to be an active, engaged mom to my kids were the underlying factors for me deciding to go ahead with gastric bypass surgery.

So today I have no regrets. My goal weight is 150 lbs so I'm halfway there. In the first 6 weeks or so, I was losing about 4-5 lbs per week. Over the last month or so it has slowed to 1-2 lbs per week and I'm ok with that - everything I've read says those who lose it at a slow, but steady 1-2 lb per week rate have the best chance of keeping it off. Fingers crossed!

This past weekend I spent the majority of my time outdoors with my kids and it felt so good to be able to move about without pain and discomfort. I think that is what will keep me motivated as the journey continues. Of course, I have struggles (salty snacks!), and I know I'm probably still in the "honeymoon" phase, but I'm determined to lose the weight and keep it off this time. One mental challenge I do have is constantly worrying that I already have, or will, stretch my new pouch. I try to be diligent with the small portions, but I have overeaten (not intentionally) a few times. I need to be more mindful of eating meals slowly, which I was really good at during the first 6 weeks. I so don't want to ruin this for myself!

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this post! :)

Your Protein requirement is the combination of the Protein you obtain from meals combined with the protein from protein supplements (Protein shakes, protein bars). Since you are at 12 weeks post-op, your meal volume allotment if you are concentrating on high protein meals can contribute substantially to meeting your protein requirement. As such, it allows you the option of reducing the number of Protein Shakes you need to drink each day and also the calories these Protein drinks contain.

For me, my weight loss leveled off. I dropped off a Protein shake and my weight loss picked up again.

Welcome and congrats on your loss this far. I too have unintentionally overrated a couple times and it's not pleasant! Some time you just don't have time to take a half hour to eat. How are you doing on your protien intake? I am 8 weeks out and struggle getting protien in every single day....I have never met my goal!

I hit 8 weeks this week too. SW 266 CW 225. I struggle with getting enough Protein. I find when I push protein at meals that's all I'm eating and I'm not eating balanced meals with fruits and veggies. How do I make this tool work for me? At what point will everything start to even out?

@@Tomojac, I struggle as well. My surgeon would like me to get in 70 grams and I don't even come close. I was drinking premier Protein after I had surgery and was doing okay. Then I ended up back in the hospital last month for six days and when I got out I just cant seem to find a shake that I like. I have tried at least 10, or so it seems.

In the first 6-8 weeks it was definitely a challenge to eat anything more that 1/4-1/2 cup at a time. Now that I'm 12 (almost 13) wks out I am up to about 3/4-1 cup at each meal. I'm Canadian and had my rny surgery via a bariatric centre where I live. It has a whole team that has supported me throughout the process, and my dietitian has assured me that my intake amount is right on track. She stresses that when eating, the focus should be on getting the Protein consumed first. So I do just that. I've been eating a lot of peanut & almond butter lately, lol. I also love cheese so I try to have some of that everyday too. tuna is something else I've been enjoying. My dietitian said that at this point any deficiencies from not being able to eat any or very little veggies & fruits should be balanced out by the daily multi-Vitamins and calcium/Vitamin D supplements that I've been prescribed to take.

I stopped drinking the Protein shakes (powder & liquid) at about 3 weeks because I couldn't find any that I liked. I then focused on Protein Bars (the soft, brownie consistency kind, not ones with nuts) and ate about 1/2 a bar at a time. Again, my dietitian said this was fine as long as they were sitting in my tummy fine. Now that I'm further along I make my own Protein Shakes using unflavoured Protein Powder. There are quite a few good recipes online - I just googled "high protein smoothies for gastric bypass surgery". One of my faves has soy chocolate milk, Protein Powder, 1/2 banana, 2 tbsp. Peanut Butter & ice.

I admit that I don't really keep track of my protein count so I may be falling short. I have my 3 month follow up in a couple of weeks, and just went to get my bloodwork done for that this morning. So I'll be finding out where all of my levels are at - hopefully all is good!

@Isheshequin thanks for the share. I think I know most of this just hard to get my mind to accept it. Haha. I think I need to stick with what works a while longer like cheese, Beans, and greek yogurt. And wait a bit on the meat.

Greek yogurt helps me get my Protein without over eating. The Fage brand, plain, has 20g of protein! I add Splenda, vanilla, and cinnamon; Splenda, vanilla, and cocoa; or Splenda, vanilla, and PB2 so it tastes delicious and I don't mind eating it. That's nearly 1/3 of a day's protein intake in 7oz of yogurt.