Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Postop Day 2: gas pain and NSV

I am day 2 postop and my gas pains are bad. I can barely move sometimes. I also have a tightness behind my sternum with painful respiration if i breathe too deeply. Has anyone else experienced this?

Also, I have my first NSV! My blood pressure has been 110/70 for most of my life. The last few years it has started creeping up and was in the 130/90 range before surgery. Since my surgery, every time the nurse checked my blood pressure it was around 105/55! Goodbye borderline high BP! So exciting. I hope it stays like that.

Congratulations on your blood pressure! I'm sorry you are in pain, I hope it goes away soon. I am preop right now and nervous.

Congratulations! That is great news, about your blood pressure. It does get better, each day!

Congrats! I'm on day #6 and the gas pains are gone and the pain from surgery is more manageable. Hang in there!!

Hi! Your pains sound like what I had, but you can always call your surgeon if you're unsure, don't hesitate. (I called mine 2 days post op because - get this one - I was anxious because I was constipated)

I'm 1 week and 1 day out and the gas pain is done. Hang in there, it gets so much better. And way to go on the BP! :)

As hard as it may be, the more you walk the faster the gas goes away!!

It will go away! I am one week out today and gas pains are gone, but man were they awful! When I got home I used a heating pad on my back and it took some of the gas pain away so I could sleep!

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. I am now post op day 4 and the sharp pains in my lower left abdomen are still terrible. I feel like they have gotten worse. I can't bend over, reach too far, roll over in bed, or anything. I'm thinking of calling my doc today to see what her recommends. I walk 6-8 times.per day for about 10-15 minutes each. It's all I can tolerate. And it has helped with passing gas, but clearly not enough.

Ugh! I feel your pain - literally. My surgery was yesterday. Surgeon said everything went perfect. My pain with the PCA pump in the hospital was totally controlled and I even got up and walked 5 or 6 times. They released me and I feel AWFUL! The liquid pain med tastes awful and I don't see that it is helping. Maybe the pain is mostly gas and the pain med can't fix that? I don't know but I am certainly much less enthusiastic today than I was yesterday or even this morning while still at the hospital. Using heating pad and Gas-x strips but to no avail. Tomorrow has to be better, right?

It WILL get better each day, next thing you know you'll be down, 20, 50 , 100 lbs and you will be so glad you did it!

I am day 2 postop and my gas pains are bad. I can barely move sometimes. I also have a tightness behind my sternum with painful respiration if i breathe too deeply. Has anyone else experienced this?

Also, I have my first NSV! My blood pressure has been 110/70 for most of my life. The last few years it has started creeping up and was in the 130/90 range before surgery. Since my surgery, every time the nurse checked my blood pressure it was around 105/55! Goodbye borderline high BP! So exciting. I hope it stays like that.

I am 5 days post op and I'm in more pain today than I was on day 2. I have sharp pains on the left side and sharp pain when I take a breath. Hopefully will get better soon because this is awful! Hope you feel better soon!

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. I am now post op day 4 and the sharp pains in my lower left abdomen are still terrible. I feel like they have gotten worse. I can't bend over, reach too far, roll over in bed, or anything. I'm thinking of calling my doc today to see what her recommends. I walk 6-8 times.per day for about 10-15 minutes each. It's all I can tolerate. And it has helped with passing gas, but clearly not enough.

I feel the same way. Sharp pain in the left side of my stomach that has gotten progressively worse. It hurts to move. Did you talk to your doctor?

Edited by srbs62