Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Let's talk about EXERCISE!

I was hoping to create a topic for exercising.

Routines, specific exercises, durations, reps, running/jogging... Back exercises, arms, legs, thighs and so on...

I my whole life never cared too much for exercise, which is in part why I ended up having GB. I am seeing my Surgeon this week and am confident they'll allow me to increase my activity level.

I frequently use pinterest to look up new ideas but would love to hear from those who are physically active, what has helped you so far post op or even preoperatively in preparing yourself for after surgery.

Hope to hear from you all!

My gazelle elliptical has been my best friend... Lol. I started using it before my surgery and use it all of time now. When I don't have time to go to the track or the weather is bad I head straight to my gazelle, that way I have no excuses for not exercising :)

I just got off of a very stressful semester in school, and was not able to do any exercises. Literally the day after finals, I stepped it up.

To do that, I knew my goals this year we're to focus on strength training, and body toning (I am 1.5 years. Year 1 was weight loss, year 2 is strength)

So I joined an oxygen hot yoga, and signed up for 4 classes a week, 1 relaxation and stretch, a yoga pilates infusion, a fast and furious (a torturous but awesome class), and a 6am boot camp class. These are all perfect for beginning my strength training and focusing on being able to lift my own body and develop control. On top of this, I run 3-5 km 3 times a week. For rewards, I signed up for 6 races, 4 5k and 2 10k.

All the 5 KS are obstacle races and have at least 15-25 obstacles and are essentially condensed mini tough mudder. They are challenging and allow me to apply my strength training to climb over walls, under barb wire and through mud pits. They are so much fun and crossing that finish line always makes the training worth it.

As the summer progresses, I plan to add strength training, but not sure yet what. I need to see how my body progresses. I am hoping to lose 20-30 pounds by September 14th (my birthday), which will provide me hopefully with a more toned body and finally be at goal, with a total of 190-200 pounds lost total.

Still under restrictions, but it didn't stop me from walking at lunch and then in the evenings. I even jogged a block for thd first time in forever, Yesterday. I can't wait to be able to do more of a workout. Both of my kids are active and are ready to put me to work.

I live in a small town, not much opportunity for classes so I walk on my lunch hour. I also do free weights at home.

I lift and do cardio 3x a week in the gym and live an active lifestyle outside the gym.

Cardio: elliptical training 3 miles at 8-9mph (still leary of running on the treadmill or on the road due to an old back injury but want to start soon).

Weight training:

Monday chest and triceps:

Dumbell flat bench, incline press, 4 sets of 8-10 reps 15 push-ups in between sets.

Cable crossovers (3 different angles: high, level, and low) 4x 8-10 reps

Triceps:

Cable push downs(Z bar) 4x 10-12

Cable push downs (rope handle) 4x 10-12 reps

French press (skull crushers) 4x 10-12 reps

Bar dips 3x 10 reps

Core work: crunches different varieties max reps

Cable twists 4x 50 reps (both sides)

Lumber jacks 4x 50 reps (both sides)

Planks 1:00

Wednesday back, biceps, and shoulders.

Back:

Cable Lat pull downs (wide medium and neutral grips) 3x 8 reps each grip

Lat rows 3x 8 reps

Bentover rows 3x 8 reps

Deadlifts 3x 5 reps

"Good Mornings" 3x 25 reps

Upright rows 3x 12

Biceps: alternating curls 3x 10 reps per arm

Standing "z-bar" curls 3x 10 reps

Hammer curls 3x 10 per arm

Shoulders:

Front/ side raises 3x 10 per arm

Shoulder press (dumbells) 3x 8-10 reps

Military press (standing) 3x 10

Shoulder shrugs 3x 12 reps

Rear delta raise 3x 12 reps

Core work

Friday legs:

Squats pyramid reps 10, 8, 6, 4 increasing weight each set

Lunges 3x 10 reps per leg

Hamstring curls 3x 10 reps

Leg extension 3x 10 reps

Calf raises 3x 15

Plyo jumps with medicine ball 3x 20 reps

Wall sits 3x 30 seconds

Balance work

Core work

Every 6 weeks I max on the three big lifts: bench, squat, and deadlift to be able to gauge my strength gains and to be able to adjust weight to for my workouts.

I am also a HS athletic coach and work out with my team during drills and when they have to do pushups... also I am getting ready to move out of stat so getting the house ready to sell and move I am VERY active!

Wow these are all excellent!!! Seems like we all have motivation to do what ever we can to attain a healthy goal of exercise! I love reading all of these bc it helps not just myself but all of us for more ideas as well as changing up some of our routines. It is nice to see the yoga posts. I actually never have tried it, but have been referred by a few close friends lately to give it a try. Once I get lifted from my restrictions I may have to. @@KingMoose my friend that is dedication to the fullest. Good for you. My husband too is very athletic and I thought he went nuts with his workouts but I am learning you get what you put it. I have been walking twice daily for a minimum of 30 minutes, doing stairs in my house. There's three sets of stairs between basement and all the way to the family rm. I cannot wait to get clearance to add more to my daily routine come Thursday.

I can't thank you enough who've share and hope more will too. Also, check back in every once in a while. Share your latest and who knows you may take something out of someone else's post!

@@KalelsWifey Hi there. I enjoy exercising especially cardio. It is just I had limited time to go to the gym as much as I use to so I put on the extra pounds and medical issues were next. I ordered an elipitical/exericse bike and like that but my knees don't, lol. Shortly I discovered that there was a fitness catagory on my Xfinity on-demand channel with all types of fitness videos. Strength training, pilates, yoga, everything...

My very favorites are the speed WALKING videos. They are WONDERFUL. You can chose to walk 1 mile, 2miles or 3 all in your home. They are all cardio packed with weights or without. The 1-mile is 18 minutes, 2miles is 34 minutes, 3 miles 53 minutes. Super fast power walking... There are so many catagories of walking/jogging/strength training videos you can do in your home when you are pressed for time or don't want to leave the house. Easy moves so you can focus on working hard in getting it done. Trust me, I feel the workout just as much. I usually wake up half hour or 45 minutes early and turn one on get my cardio done, shower and then wake up my children. I have decided that I need to come first with my health and this is my time to myself with no interruption. When I get up early and exercise, no one is awake I can focus on myself. This way, I am done with the workout and not have to stress all day about how I will fit it in when I get home & exhausted.

I have also seen these videos dirt cheap on Amazon. Let me know & I will give you the name of some good ones :-)

My weight kept me from most aerobic sport, with problems with ankles. Three years prior to surgery, I started doing vigorous workouts in the local pool. This has ended up being the first exercise I could maintain and now love it and miss it due to being in recovery -- two more weeks and I can go back. I know that when I lose another 30 pounds that I will be able to do more walking and use my treadmill without joint problems. My real goal is to be light enough to get back on my street bicycle -- maybe six months from now! Good topic!

@@KalelsWifey Hi there. I enjoy exercising especially cardio. It is just I had limited time to go to the gym as much as I use to so I put on the extra pounds and medical issues were next. I ordered an elipitical/exericse bike and like that but my knees don't, lol. Shortly I discovered that there was a fitness catagory on my Xfinity on-demand channel with all types of fitness videos. Strength training, pilates, yoga, everything...

My very favorites are the speed WALKING videos. They are WONDERFUL. You can chose to walk 1 mile, 2miles or 3 all in your home. They are all cardio packed with weights or without. The 1-mile is 18 minutes, 2miles is 34 minutes, 3 miles 53 minutes. Super fast power walking... There are so many catagories of walking/jogging/strength training videos you can do in your home when you are pressed for time or don't want to leave the house. Easy moves so you can focus on working hard in getting it done. Trust me, I feel the workout just as much. I usually wake up half hour or 45 minutes early and turn one on get my cardio done, shower and then wake up my children. I have decided that I need to come first with my health and this is my time to myself with no interruption. When I get up early and exercise, no one is awake I can focus on myself. This way, I am done with the workout and not have to stress all day about how I will fit it in when I get home & exhausted.

I have also seen these videos dirt cheap on Amazon. Let me know & I will give you the name of some good ones :-)

Thank you so much! To be honest I hadn't even thought about looking at on demand!! What a great idea. I too can do that before my girls wake up and have my first work out in. I try to do two walks a day mixed with typical errands running up and down stairs in my house. I average a good amount of steps per day. I like this idea a lot though. I will be looking at then tonight.

@, Thank you! I just sat one morning thinking I wish I had more ideas for exercise and ones I would enjoy... I've posted other things on BP and decided to just add this as well. It's nice to see what others do. How far out are you? I'm opening my pool this weekend. Not that we can go in right away, but, I am looking forward to be able to use that as exercise as well. I LOVE the Water.

I am exactly two weeks out. I see surgeon tomorrow and get staples out also to discuss progressing to the next stage of foods and adding exercise (other than walking) to my routine. So excited.

Hi, I am two weeks post surgery. I am doing really quite well, but getting back in the pool will really help. My incisions have to be completely healed, no scabs or holes.

I use XL foam dumbbells and do an hour of very rigorous underwater exercise, focused on aerobic level benefit, and core muscle building, followed by some weights and light reps. I also walk and in six months will be back on my street bike, which I have not been able to ride for 15 years....

How are you doing?

I have arthritis in my hips and knees. I have been doing Water workouts in a heated pool at my physical therapy center. I love this. And the pool workouts have led me to joining a gym where I can also do water aerobics. So now I'm doing five days a week and I miss it when I don't or can't go. This is what works for me. It took me a while to settle into this routine, but it is so rewarding.