Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cheated on Pre-op Diet Need Help!

I am feeling really bad right now, I had a small drink while on my pre-op, and a slice of pizza. I had a lot of stuff going on this weekend, I went to two concerts, one Friday and one Saturday so my eating was off. I had one drink and a slice of pizza, I lost 1.5 pounds in the two days but I'm worried that my Doctor will know that I had a drink. I know it probably didn't help with shrinking my liver. What's wrong with me? I really want to have my surgery but yet and still I indulge (I must be crazy).

My surgery is tomorrow and I have failed my pre op diet :think

Hello I wanted to share my experience, I had many " final" meals before my surgery, my pre-op diet was suppose to be concentrating on eating slow, eating Protein first but nothing about Portion Control. Some may say it is not being responsible to eat as much as I did before I was banded 12 days ago, but it was closure for me and I enjoyed it. Now that I am on mushies ( tiny portions ) and ya I feel like I lost my Teddy Bear but someday I will realize how true it is that nothing taste as good as thin feels. That is why we get the band because we need the tool to help us, you dont have the band yet so dont beat yourself up failing at the commitment now is ok because that is why we need the band. Dont feel bad its in the past and in just a few days your life will change forever you will be on you way to being healthy and thin with " control " that you need from the band. Good luck Keep us posted

Kim:)

Thanks for sharing! Thats my thoughts too, the reason I need the band is because I have no will power to stick to a diet. I was just majorly concerned about the surgery since I didn't stick to the diet so its great to hear from people who didn't do the pre op!

Hey there

I too am on the pre-op diet. Still 5 weeks out from my surgery - but I have to do Optifast for 5 weeks. It sounds like in America they make you do some kind of high Protein low carb diet and then put you on liquid 10 days prior to surgery (is this correct?)

I am on day 5 of my Optifast diet and am really sceptical about my ability to stay on it for 5 weeks. I feel constantly nauseous and am still exhausted. I just feel disgusting. I was thinking about eating an egg, but don't know if that will screw up the optifast diet.

Blerrghhghg. I think part of my challenge is switching my mind off - the last 4 days have felt like 2 weeks....:help:

Stevie W, I can't believe you have to do this for 5 weeks. I am so struggling with 2 weeks. I have been having more veges than allowed but I'm not eating chocolate!!! I think it's really weird that some surgeons require so much(like yours) and some so little or nothing at all.Where are you? I'm in Melbourne having surgery at the Epworth. Good luck with the Optifast, take one day at a time and if you do decide to eat an egg it's no big deal but just don't let it lead you astray

Hey Marga.

I'm in Canberra. I don't know why he wants me to be on it for 5 weeks - could be because when I went for my last appointment he said "i don't think you really know what you want". So maybe he's testing me to see if I'm really committed..

If that is the case - he will be laughing on the other side of his face when I waltz in there for my pre-surg and I've lost 30 kilos LOL.

The person who runs the support group here in Canberra told me I can have an egg every now and again - so that is my great white hope (pardon the pun). Hopefully that will see me thru and get rid of some of this crappy nausea.:sick

Steve

I work in surgery doing lap band procedures and gastric bypass. I also have a band. I would stop killing yourself about what you ate! I has already passed and you need to stop beating up yourself about it. It will be OK! I am sure that you physician has had many people cheat. That is one reason you are getting this procedure to get help! If it was only one day or even a few days it is not going to make a difference and the drink you had will not effect the size of your liver!! We cannot do anything about what has already happened in the past we can only control what we do in the future. I know you will do great and be very successful in loosing weight. I would not even mention this to your surgeon! It will be OK. :clap2:

the day before surgery is very important! make sure you do what your told. We have had patients that eat the morning of surgery and lie about it. This can cause severe problems w/ the stomach being full and also problems w/ anesthesia on intubation. We had one pt. that was getting gastric bypass and the staples did not hold across her stomach because it was full of meat and potatoes. We had to open her and clean it all out! this could have cause her, her life! she was very lucky.

I'm 1 week from surgery, week 2 of liquid diet. I added some nuts and pretzels to fill me. Not a lot of them, but I did add them. Also, I have added creamed Soups which helps alot. I feel we are all different, and doctors place us on such extreme previsions simply because they know there will be a few "slips" I am also taking a liver detox to help the liver out alittle bit.

Stay strong all, if you slip (which I had a bag of popcorn last Wednesday) get up, brush yourself off, strike out running again! We can't be yourself up now. There are enough psychological things which will take place post op, to not add more prep op.

my preop diet connisted of one day of Clear Liquids and I couldnt even do that. Well I did but I convienced myself that I could start it after lunch because my surgery wasnt until 12:30. The only person that knew was me and thats how I kept it. The surgery came and went and now I have my band and I have lost 11 pounds in two weeks and I feel great. Keep your head up and do the best you can do, we are all here because we have failed at diets, that doesnt change just because! Good luck!

My pre-op was high Protein (2 shakes a day), low carb for 2 weeks. I cheated, as my daughter got married, so had Mexican food one night, BBQ the next. Then the 3rd day had a beer!!!! I was so worried that my liver wouldn't shrink enough & they'd turn me away at surgery (my doctor has turned one person away after going into surgery because her liver didn't shrink enough). I called and told them what I'd done & if I should have it rescheduled another week. They told me they were more concerned about me getting Protein than the cheating. So I made sure I ate like I was told for the remaining 8 days, and did 3 protein shakes/day to make sure I had enough.

I was banded last Tuesday, the 12th, and all went well. It will with you, too. Just get back on track and make the committment!!!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!

I can't believe I am "confessing" this...I didn't feel the need to really go in to it before...but...

I was on an all liquid Protein shake diet for 1 week pre-op. I got SOOOOOO tired of it that day 5 & 6 I had beef jerkey for dinner. I figured it was high Protein and didn't add carbs. I didn't tell the doc. I asked about my liver after and he said it was perfect!

Thank you all for the encouraging words thats why I shared my experience because I can count on my bandmates to help me through. I go under in two more days. I found out yesterday from the Doctor that I have h. Pylori but they said not to worry and called me in a prescription they don't have to reschedule my surgery or anything so that's great. I'm glad they told me about the h. pylori because I was wondering why I would get nauseaus from time to time. I will keep you all posted on my progress. I will weigh in tomorrow morning since I haven't done so in a couple days to see if the scale changed any.:clap2: