Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I absolutely cannot make up my mind!

Hi All!

This is my first post, however I am not new to this website, I have been searching this site and the web and reading books for months now! I just cannot make up my mind on whether to get the sleeve or not and I am driving myself crazy!! One day I'm all for it, the next day I think there is no way I could do it. I have almost completed all of the requirements set by my insurance company, my info will be submitted for approval in a couple of weeks and I'm still unsure. I'm not scared of the surgery and immediate recovery, I guess I'm more worried about the long lasting effects like nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, not being able to drink with my meals, no soda etc... Most people seem happy that they did it. I just really want to know what the lasting side effects are, aside from the obvious of eating less and exercising more how will my life change after getting the sleeve??

Is this a normal way to feel at this stage? Or am I just overthinking the whole thing? I would greatly appreciate your thoughts in helping me make this big decision once and for all!

I would say your feelings are normal. I had briefly considered lapband about a year before I had the sleeve, although I dismissed it as probably being too expensive since I had to pay out of pocket. I also had this idiot boyfriend a few years ago who had said to me "if I could give you the money for lapband, I would totally pay for your surgery". I wasn't even fat enough to qualify for it then! When I did research the sleeve, as a byproduct of looking at lapband again, I went to the training session where the doctors talk to interested people, and 3 weeks later I was in the OR. I didn't give myself time to change my mind.

As for the long lasting effects you are worried about, well, I drink with every meal and I drink diet soda every day. I am doing just fine. Those are more suggestions than requirements. You shouldn't drink with meals because it washes your food down faster so you may eat more, which if you're paying attention to portions shouldn't be an issue. They advise against soda in the long term because they don't want you getting your calories from it. Short term I avoided soda because I didn't want the caffeine and fizz to mess up my sutures, but two months out, I was right back to my diet pepsi habit. In terms of nausea, I am someone who is unlucky in the sense that I get dumping syndrome and a whole lot of foods make me barf. If you average out the times I have puked, it is probably at least 3 times a week since I've had the sleeve. I can't go out to dinner and eat anything I'm not familiar with because it literally comes spewing right back up my throat (cute, right?). I can't eat sugar often because for some reason it makes my heart beat fast, gives me a hot flash, and makes my skin red.

All of that being said, I would still get the sleeve again everyday, and most of my puking and dumping symptoms are very rare. Only you can make the decision for you, but I have not regretted my choice at all.

I almost backed out the night before surgery. I'm glad I didn't. Almost 4 months out, and down 76 lbs, it's one if the best decisions I ever made. I take very small sips of Water with my food, just enough to wet my tongue. I eat whatever I want, since the portion I can actually eat is so tiny. I have drank some soda, through a straw, and found that it made me very gassy(thankfully I was never one to drink soda often). 3 years ago, I had thought about getting the surgery, then decided to give dieting one last chance. I went from 368 to 211in 9 months...within a year and a half, I was back up to 342, size 22/24 pants, borderline diabetic, with high bp, hypothyroidism and high cholesterol. Now I'm almost 4 months out, down to 266, 14/16 pants, no high bp or cholesterol,and my sugar and thyroid are much better! I couldn't have done it without my sleeve!!!

Edited by Big_Mama

@ There are a lot of factors. Here are a few to consider:

1- Is your BMI over 40 and have you tried to lose weight in the past or lost it only to regain later?

2- Do you have medical conditions related to obesity?

3- Have you had surgery before and have you had problems with anesthesia/meds/etc?

4- In your heart of hearts- do you really believe you can do it without the surgery?

It is perfectly normal to be second guessing this. I was undecided on the way to the hospital. And then, after I got there, they had trouble getting the IV in. When the 3rd nurse came in to try I decided right then that she had one shot and if it didn't go in that I was leaving. Fortunately she got it in. At that moment I decided that I would go through with it. So far, it has been a great decision.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I am 16 months out. I have no complications associated with the surgery, and haven't had any for a long, long time. I did have some nausea at the beginning when I ate too much, but as my sleeve healed, my knowledge of how to work with it improved. It is hard at the beginning, but everyday is better. Here's my naughty list:

1. If I need a sip of Water while eating, I take it.

2. I drink from straws.

3. I drink carbonated beverages (Seltzer or a RARE diet pepsi)

4. I started drinking coffee 6 weeks after surgery, even though I was told to wait 12 weeks.

There are probably other naughty things I do, but this is what works for me. (And I have come clean with my bariatric team, btw) I am not telling you this because I advocate breaking rules--just to show that a year out of surgery, I am not ultra-focused on bariatric rules. I can and do lead a normal, thin life. You can do this!

Best,

Amy

Just be absolutely sure it is what you want......there is no turning back once it's done. Personally if one qualifies I am not sure why you wouldn't want it. I made my mind up after researching the day I went to the seminar. It's an awesome life. yes there are some difficult times but well worth it in the end. Good luck with your decision.

I felt like you did and wasn't sure about all of the restrictions. Granted, I'm only 2 weeks post op I KNOW it was the right decision for me. Recovery was not that bad, much better than I anticipated! I have had zero nausea, diarrhea or any issues. I'm so happy I did it and I've already had compliments on my weight loss.

I backed out out of fear in June 2014 and lost 50 pounds. The weight began to creep back on and at 270 o felt this is something that would help me not only lose the weight but keep it off.

I am so happy to have had this surgery. Absolutely no regrets. I have ups and downs like everyone, but I've never had a down bad enough that I've regretted this procedure. Mine was mostly covered (a revision from unsuccessful lap band), but if I knew then how I'd feel now, I would have found a way to pay had it not been. Its changed my life for the better.

Good luck with your decision.

Hi, it's unusual to find someone that wishes they didn't get surgery. I have had a lot of issues with not being able to tolerate foods and I'm still throwing up regularly. Before surgery, I would rate throwing up as one of the things I hated most and would avoid at all costs. I still don't enjoy throwing up but I think I've gotten used to it and I know it's not going to last forever. I absolutely cannot drink anything while eating or I'll get overfull and definitely throw up so it's not even tempting. Even with all that, I would do it again tomorrow. No regrets. For the first time, I feel in control of my weight. Best of luck with whatever you choose.

Thank you all so much for your thoughtful responses!

I have to admit that some of the vomiting comments concern me a bit, however it seems as if you are all very happy with the choice you have made regardless of any side effect you may have.

I really tried to think about what I was so scared of and I think part of it is feeling like I will have to defend my decision to have surgery. Not telling people is just not an option for me, I feel the need to be very upfront and honest with people if they ask about weight loss, but I don't want to deal with negative comments, opinions, etc... I think I will just have to toughen up if I decide to go ahead with the surgery! I'll keep you posted on my decision! Thanks again!

Thank you all so much for your thoughtful responses!

I have to admit that some of the vomiting comments concern me a bit, however it seems as if you are all very happy with the choice you have made regardless of any side effect you may have.

I really tried to think about what I was so scared of and I think part of it is feeling like I will have to defend my decision to have surgery. Not telling people is just not an option for me, I feel the need to be very upfront and honest with people if they ask about weight loss, but I don't want to deal with negative comments, opinions, etc... I think I will just have to toughen up if I decide to go ahead with the surgery! I'll keep you posted on my decision! Thanks again!

I really respect the up front and honest approach. If someone asks I tell them the truth. And not everyone I have encountered is nice. Some have some really harsh comments or talk behind my back, I got some really thick skin over the last 8 months. In the long run I have grown to have the opinion of what they think or say I don't really care. I am healthy having a blast clothes shopping and I feel great! Good luck to you.

I was nervous about the surgery too, it seems to be a normal reaction. But the recovery was surprisingly easy and I haven't he any complications from having the sleeve. There was an adjustment starting with the pre-op diet and adjusting continued after the surgery. New way of eating and all. But I'm very happy that I had the surgery, no regrets whatsoever.

Hi again, I'm back! I just wanted to let you all know that not only did I make up my mind, but I have a date of July 10th! My insurance approval came back, I scheduled my surgery, and suddenly everything seems to be progressing so fast! I really am getting excited. The date is quickly approaching and I will be starting my pre-op diet on June 26th. I actually had lost a few pounds when I first started my research back in January, however now that I have a date I seem to be eating more than ever! Has this happened to anyone else? Is this considered a "Food Funeral"?

I have told a few co-workers and friends about my decision and all have been supportive. I was even fortunate enough to find a co-worker that is getting the sleeve just 3 weeks after I am! My toughest critic is my Mom, she does NOT want me to do this! Fortunately, we have a great relationship, we have discussed it plenty, but at this point we have pretty much just agreed to disagree.

I know just how you feel. Three years ago I was you and when my insurance denied me, instead of appealing, I let them win and I gave up. Now I am on the cusp of actually getting the sleeve (July 6th). It finally clicked for me and I told myself this time that if I chose to make another appt with my surgeon that would be IT. My choice would be made and I would just stick to it and not look back. That's what I have done. Sure I am nervous...who wouldn't be, but this has given me hope that my life doesn't have to be this way forever. It's a massive decision to make and I don't envy where you are on your path. You have to make that call for yourself. I think some people are not ever 100% sure. I second guess myself on everything, all the time. But with this I have refused to talk myself out of it. Not looking back...taking what comes and handling it. Following Dr's orders and trying not to *think* so much.

Maybe I wasn't ready three years ago. Maybe I would have had the surgery and not acclimated well or not been ready for the huge mental change that comes with it. I am still worried that I will have issues with the mental part of things but, like I said, I'm not looking back, not questioning myself, and moving forward.

Good luck!

Edited by GirlOnFire