Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggles and stalls?!?!?

Hi, in well aware that the sleeve sx will not be a quick or even close to easy fix, but when I read about stalls, and some of the struggles facing post op sleevers I'm discouraged before I start.. I know it won't be easy it'll be the hardest thing I've ever done, but after sacrificing to save to pay out of pocket for this surgery I'd like more of a guarantee that it'll work for me. That I can use it as a tool. I'm sorry, my surgery is scheduled for June 8th, and when I told a few friends today I got, "why don't you try..." Then when I explained I've tried those things and I want able to complete them so many things in the past I just want to do something different..... (I got the "oh yeah it's hard to lose weight" like I'm woosing out and "but you know you can still regain right? **yes i know**).

Then I read some shares on here and winner if it's not that different, d/t we all still face the same obstacles I'm wondering if they are right. Should I try A, B, or C...(which i know i can kids 30-40 lbs but then if history repeats itself I will get discouraged and give up when I have a hundred to loose!!) I was hoping that this would force me to continue, to help me have a second chance. I just don't want to repeat the last 10 years of mini diets that produce a 25lb weight loss then stalls and that's it. Please tell me it's different! I know through God nothing is impossible... But then should I save my $$ and try to fight it again without the sx?

@lilee84... Thank you so much for your separate post "frequently asked questions" that really helped to calm my fears and answer some of my doubt's. I know most of who I talked to have struggled to lose weight but obit 20 maybe 30 pounds at the max....I could talk they did but understand my frustration. And inferring that I passivity wasn't a person who could handle a true diet didn't help, especially cause I fear it is true... But anyway, thanks liliee84

I think having a healthy fear of failure is a good thing when it comes to WLS. You are correct in all your assumptions - you could lose on your own, or you could have surgery and gain it back, or it could be a second chance. The important nugget in all of that it can be our second (or maybe last) chance.

You are wondering if having surgery really makes it all that different. For me, there is no comparison. Having WLS removed the barriers that kept me from being successful for years. It offered a physical restriction and maybe even a little aversion to food, while removing the raging hunger and drive to eat all the time I lived with before. It allowed me to eat very little and quickly lose a significant amount of weight, which provided more motivation. The more I lost, the more I wanted to do whatever it took to continue. What was physically imposed by surgery initially taught me a lot. I DON'T need a lot of food to live. I can live without over eating and grazing. Eat only enough to satisfy hunger. Make good choices. As I was learning what it takes to lose, I was forcing myself to learn new habits.

So, fast forward 2 years. I love my new life. I absolutely struggle daily with managing my weight. I can eat a lot more now, I can eat anything, and there's no aversion to food anymore. I could absolutely eat my way right back to 300+ pounds. And it wouldn't be work for me to do it, either. It IS work to maintain my loss. But I don't care, because I'm succeeding. I get hungry now, but I think it's hunger like normal people get, so it's manageable.

Make no mistake - WLS is a hard road to hoe, and there is no escaping it, and it's hard work all day, every day. There are inherent risks associated with it that must be carefully considered. But for me, even knowing all of that, it's much, much easier than trying to lose or maintain weight than without it. And it's a lot more rewarding to do the hard work it takes to maintain while looking and feeling good than it was pre WLS, working just has hard but always remaining fat. The failure factor with that was just demoralizing. Good luck, whatever you decide.

The stalls may happen, but if you stay the course you will continue to lose.

The best way I can explain it is it gives you that "head start" you need to keep going. At first, it kind of forces you to do the right things. After a while, you just get into the habit. It really helps when you are seeing the weight come off to stay motivated. Yes, stalls, slower weight loss, temptations and head hunger can be hard to deal with, but if you are doing what you're supposed to be doing and remain vigilant, you get through it and reap the rewards. I think you have a good understanding that this is just a tool and not a quick fix, and when it's all said and done, it's ultimately up to you to use the tool to your full advantage.

I had been on a diet since 1978, and gained an additional fifty pounds. I wish I had had my surgery before I had a stroke. When people tell you that you can just do it with diet and exercise, ask them to tell you everything they know about bariatric surgery, what is a sleeve, how a bypass is done, and how lapbands work. Chances are the naysayers have no clue (like myself) that bands have ports. When I was referred to the bariatric center, I did not even know that the sleeve existed.

Here is the thing about stalls: stalls are like lovers - your first will probably not be your last. But all of the discomfort and inconvenience has been worth it. It beats another stroke. I wish you good luck and good health.

No one can ensure that this surgery will work for you. YOU have to do the work. If you follow your surgeon's instructions, get your Protein and Water, and plenty of exercise, your odds are great to lose weight. If you live life in the way you have in the past with poor food choices and a likely lack of exercise, your odds are not good at all.

You can do it and be successful. Don't let the fear stop you.

Awesome, thank you guys... Obviously I had had a bad day of people who made me feel like I'm doing this because I can't handle dieting... I walked away feeling like I was defective; not as good as them. But you guys gave me the encouragement I needed. thank you guys... I am looking at this as my second chance to live healthy. Mostly I want to eat healthy, and be more active and teach my son the joy of those things... He's 6 and an only child and already I see him mimicking my mostly sedentary lifestyle, and the worst parts of my eating habits... Is not too late to change his habits... but it's got to start with me!!!

Edited by cmhueto

Well I have totally lost the battle but not the war. I was doing okay until I noticed that my stomach was not reducing. I went to my family practitioner and she told me I had a hernia and since I am not having any pain or internal bleeding it is best to leave it alone. The problem is I have gone down a clothing size - I have to wear my pre-surgery tops because of the bugled in my stomach area. I begin to be very discouraged and started to gain my weight back. I went back to my Gastroenterologist /Bariatric Surgeon for a 2nd opinion - and thinking he would have more medical knowledge/experience. He focused on my weight lost status and not any helpful advice about my hernia - which is centered around the incision he did to remove my gallbladder. I figured he was worried because it is an "incision hernia". I am told I must lose 100 pounds before they will repair it or unless it becomes life threatening. So now that I have regained 2/3 of my weight loss and have start over again finding a program that can work for me. I am frustrated and I have come back to seek support and to get myself back on track.

I eat just about anything I want. There are repercussions - too much sugar or carbs causes my acid reflux to go off the charts and if I really binge - I vomit mucus. Which then goes into my lungs and I have to cough that out too. I do not binge that often at all. I can not go back to my surgical weight loss group - they have moved the classes out of my town to another medical facility but I will be searching for some type of local support. Thanks for letting me vent.

Have you thought about doing a pallet cleanse? Staking out 4-5 days, juicing and eating super healthy only, light salads, with some lean Protein ect... This can help you stop craving it can greatly diminish the cravings of junk (high in fat and sugar) foods we all crave. Not sure if that will help. But my dear you are still down from pre-op at and you are seeing your mistakes so that's the first step!! Get support even if it's just spiritual, or emotional that's a start... You are worth it!

Edited by cmhueto

@momfromjersey22- Yes it's normal.

@@momfromjersey22, I was told we should not weigh ourselves for the first three months but just focus on following the diet and healing... Though I know I may not be able to wait that long. That way you aren't so disappointed when at first your weight stalls etc. It will happen! The weight will come off!! Your body may be in a bit of a shock, and broth usually has a lot of salt so.... There u go! U have given yourself a wonderful gift, it will happen.

Edited by cmhueto

That's exactly how I feel too @cmhueto. I'm about six weeks from submitting to my insurance but I'm also anxious about this when reading people's experience.