Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am a binge eater and I need help!

I have never admitted that to anyone. I was banded on Aug 2013 and lost 50 lbs and have lost no more!

If you can attend an OA meeting near you, you will find help. OA.org. The first step is admitting the problem.

Don't ever ever give up on yourself.

I am a binge eater too. There is help and hope. I am glad you are here!

Hey, way to go on the fifty -- I would probably be fifty UP before long if I hadn't had weight loss surgery. Getting some therapy really helped me examine what was underlying my eating issues. My only advice for you is not to beat yourself up -- to know that you are worthy and deserving, that you are showing up for YOU!

Do you have the lap band? Was is your history of fills - adjustments?

I have been banded since August 2013. I have been filled maybe eight times and unfilled two. I have good restriction.

Well, people react and us the band differently.....

I WAS a binge eater....I would eat everything and anything....I could, and did, eat an entire large pizzas with toppings every friday night.

My family always got mad at me because if someone bought something like a bag of chips, a cake, or ice cream...whatever...it was not safe and eventually I would polish it off...so they would hide food from me.

Nowadays, with the band and the amount of restriction I have...it is impossible for me to over eat without paying some undesirable consequences....I'm talking severe pain, probably from stretching the pouch or worse yet the esophagus, and it would all come back up....I HAD to learn to eat little and slowly...with no drinking during or after.

Eventually, I learned, formed new habits, and got over the old bad habits....all because the band FORCED me to do...call it behavior modification....

If your burn your hand every time you touch the fire, eventually you learn not to touch the fire...

I read here everyday where people have unpleasant experiences like getting stuck, sliming, regurgitating...they say here they are too tight and need to get Fluid taken out...REALLY? maybe it has something to do with the foods you're eating? Or how fast, or how large swallows you're eating? Then the band gets irritated only making matters worse...then NOTHING will go down.

Nobody knows anybody on this internet forum...we are not each others Dr.'s where we look into your chart, have say and talked many times...

I say that because when people say they are having problems, are they having problems because they can't each 3 Big macs anymore??? or perhaps, even a full day after eating that Big mac you can't keep Water down? Or are their problems something very serious...nobody knows each other that well here....

I do know I read posts from time to time, and I read discussions about pizza, Pancakes/waffles, etc, etc...does not matter if they're made with low carbs or high Protein...it's still pizza and how is that working with your band???

So they go in and get Fluid taken out....now they eat what they want when they want....perfect!

My last fill I had problems keeping anything down...finally called my Dr. for an un fill...he refused, told me to stick it out and follow a certain regime with food for the next week or so....he could say that because he is my Dr and he knows ME, knows my behavior when it comes to eating......

And I'm glad he did....that was 4 years ago and it has been good ever since...then band did not get better, but I changed, in this case binge eating, (and much more) to get in harmony with the band.

Long story short...I am now at a place where it is impossible for me to over eat....and quite frankly, I'm also at a place where food really does not interest me, have little or no hunger, when it comes to food I can take it or leave it.

I can walk into buffets, attend parties, family dinners...does not matter. Te band is not going to let me....so I don't even try anymore....THAT's LIFESTYLE CHANGE!!! new habits, new me!

There are foods I will never eat again...gave them up because it was just too difficult with the band....

I cannot gulp water....

When they say the band will change your life, it's not just about loosing weight....it's much more than that.

But like I said at the beginning, people react differently, and have different ways to approach and live with the band...you can see that just by reading the posts on this forum....

As far as I'm concerned, if they have found success with the methods they adhere to...then more power to them.

You can't argue with experience and success....and they need to share how they did it.

But I have to say, for me, in my experience and success, the BAND FORCED ME to make changes...

I do not like the phrase "It's a Tool"....a tool is something I use, or choose not to use....the band on the other hand USES ME...I am not in control of the band, it's the other way around.

Sorry for ranting on, I'm having my morning coffee(s) and I tend to get carried away this early in the morning...tonight I will ask myself "Oh man, did I really say all that?"

Wow, what a help your post is to me. I'm having trouble and when I do, I wait for the pain to go away so I can binge and stuff again. Obviously, not the best way to let the band use me.

I needed your post to show me what I'm really doing!