Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've been so confident that this WLS is what I wanted. I so sure that I want a change in life. I want my life to continue. I want to see my grandchildren and my future children. I want to grow old with my wife. I want. I want. I want. I honestly believe that this is the only thing that will get me these things.

Then as I was reading some posts, I came across a post where someone needed to have his heart restarted twice while in surgery. For the first time my faith in the process has been shaken. I've read all the horror stories about complications but none of them have shaken me like this one. There is possibility, however small it might be, that I could die during this surgery!!!

Reality check.... there is a balance somewhere. I just don't know where it is right now. Please help!

For me it was a matter of looking at the overall risk/benefit profile. Without the surgery I was pretty much guaranteed to develop diabetes and that comes with a host of other issues. And of course my odds of having heart disease or cancer were higher without surgery. Those odds far outweigh the risks of surgery. But yes - there are real risks and surgery is scary in the short term, but not as scary as the risks of obesity longer term. For me it has been SO worth the risk!!

You take risks with your life every day. Just leaving the house in the morning is a risk. But you take that risk because you need to earn a living to support your family. And being cooped up in your house all day would be NO LIFE at all!

Surgery is the same. Is there risk? Yes. Though I feel obliged to point out that the mortality rate with sleeve is lower than with knee replacement. But the alternative, being obese and having all the related health issues, is NO LIFE at all!

Would statistics make you feel better? I don't have the numbers, you can look them up, but gallbladder surgery and knee replacement surgery both have a higher mortality rate during surgery than weight loss surgery. And all of those risks are lower than the mortality rate associated with obesity.

@@donald0717 It's good to get all the info you can but I wouldn't let it discourage you if this is something you feel will help you to be a more healthy you. I don't know who the person was with the issues or their medical history but things like that can happen, I think it's pretty rare but anything is possible with any surgery. I'm assuming this person is fine since they were able to post? The Good news for you is there are 1000's of people who make it through surgery just fine and are living happy, healthy lives :)

I've had 14 surgeries for different things...and I'm still here :)

I've been so confident that this WLS is what I wanted. I so sure that I want a change in life. I want my life to continue. I want to see my grandchildren and my future children. I want to grow old with my wife. I want. I want. I want. I honestly believe that this is the only thing that will get me these things.

Then as I was reading some posts, I came across a post where someone needed to have his heart restarted twice while in surgery. For the first time my faith in the process has been shaken. I've read all the horror stories about complications but none of them have shaken me like this one. There is possibility, however small it might be, that I could die during this surgery!!!

Reality check.... there is a balance somewhere. I just don't know where it is right now. Please help!

It's all a matter of perspective.

I heard in the news the other day that a lady was shot at the bank and I need to go make a deposit. Eeeek! I heard that a family was killed by a drunk driver on their way to church. Well....I'm not religious, but I *am* out of milk. A plane went down but I've already bought non refundable tickets to Disney. Crap.

:)

I'm not making fun of you, I promise. I think it's normal AND healthy to have some rational fears. Any surgery is a risk and it's good to know the statistics of what you are facing.

Me? I was fairly certain my chances of death were higher related to obesity than from surgery. I went in healthy as a horse, just fat as one, too. My surgery added decades to my life, I have no doubt.

Unless I go get milk....

I looked at it like this... I was MORE afraid of life continuing as it was than I was about the small risks associated with surgery. Having lost my dad at the age of 13, (he was 52) to morbid obesity, I just reached a point where I decided I'm not going out like that. This disease kills many more people than the surgery does.

There are risks in everything, but the risk in not doing something is much greater. I had my surgery 2 months ago and I am already enjoying my life much more than ever. I see a much brighter future for myself and with my children and grandchildren.

Donald,

I understand where u are....the reality is yes you could die in surgery, but that is the risk of every type of surgery. Try not to dwell on that one fact....you are making the right choice for your health and your life. If you believe in God please pray and hold on to your faith. You will be alright.

God bless you!

Mo

horror stories about complications

@@donald0717

no one should go into any surgery with their head in the sand :blink:

you should be aware of the possibilities of problems

no surgeries come with 100% guarentees :angry:

only guarantees in life

death and taxes :mellow:

i think when people read 2 different stories about anything (ie the sleeve)

they hear a great story

then a bad story

the bad story seems to stick out in your their mind/memory :(

you've probably seen many other posts from pre-oppers that are also extremely scared

the smaller % of people having bad problems are far and few between

one person in particular has been going through a very rough time here

being scared is normal/comman

I give you "permission" ;) :lol: to be nervous/scared

that being said - most stories, experiences are good :)

you've hopefully read/seen many, many, many posts from people that are very happy with their results

their journey is wonderful :)

i think some times people don't speak of their great experience, success, happiness etc PO

maybe they think their situation is boring

do we really want to hear more good things that are

you betcha :)

IMO there is soooo much more good than bad that will happen post op

you were very excited/ "confident" about saving your life with weight loss surgery

health and happiness are all what they are cracked up to be :)

don't second guess yourself now, plllease

good luck

kathy :)

Edited by proudgrammy

This was just a moment of temporary panic in middle of the night that I needed to get out. After talking things through it with my wife in this morning everything became more clear. This IS the direction that I have chosen and will follow.

I got good news today. The financial people at Kaiser informed that %100 of my surgery will be covered! Thank God for Kaiser and Medicare.

Thank you all for the wonderful responses of hope and encouragement. I'll keep reading and writing as needed. Good luck to all. ;)

horror stories about complications

@@donald0717

no one should go into any surgery with their head in the sand :blink:

you should be aware of the possibilities of problems

no surgeries come with 100% guarentees :angry:

only guarantees in life

death and taxes :mellow:

i think when people read 2 different stories about anything (ie the sleeve)

they hear a great story

then a bad story

the bad story seems to stick out in your their mind/memory :(

you've probably seen many other posts from pre-oppers that are also extremely scared

the smaller % of people having bad problems are far and few between

one person in particular has been going through a very rough time here

being scared is normal/comman

I give you "permission" ;) :lol: to be nervous/scared

that being said - most stories, experiences are good :)

you've hopefully read/seen many, many, many posts from people that are very happy with their results

their journey is wonderful :)

i think some times people don't speak of their great experience, success, happiness etc PO

maybe they think their situation is boring

do we really want to hear more good things that are

you betcha :)

IMO there is soooo much more good than bad that will happen post op

you were very excited/ "confident" about saving your life with weight loss surgery

health and happiness are all what they are cracked up to be :)

don't second guess yourself now, plllease

good Hi my name is Debbie 47married 30 2'great adult kids and 2 grand kids weight 238 and I am 5.2 height bmi43 have hi blood pressure serve asthma would love to get surgery for the sleeve but not sure insurance will pay have asked and no one has give me the same answer I live in ma and have Medicare for insurance I have gone for upper gi test and blood work seen physician asst and group nutrient Schedule for behavioral health and to pa again on Monday

The chances of you dropping dead tomorrow of some weight related disease are not getting any lower either. Don't let fear control you, I was worried to, but has been the best decision I made in my life. You know the risk, my advice is to find a great surgeon that you trust, follow the plan and you will be fine. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I also had my surgery through Kaiser. It was something like a $250 copay on the day of the procedure, which for practical purposes is free. It sounds like this was a passing freakout, but let me give you some ammunition against potential future doubts.

I went through the same dread about fatal complications. It took me nine months after I completed my Kaiser class to finally get the surgery. My thinking in the end, was that this surgery had no more risk than the risk my wife took each time she gave birth to our two girls. VSG would greatly increase my odds of seeing my girls grow up.

And while there are no shortage of horror stories, my story is much more common. I woke up after the surgery with a mild pain in my stomach. My initial thoughts were, "really, is that it?" I didn't even need pain meds after the first 2 days. I had to resist the urge to do heavy exercise the first few weeks because I felt all better. After almost 3 months, I'm down a total of 80 lbs (30 before / 50 after). I have 60 more to go, and already feel like a new man.