Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ate/ drank too much 5 days post op? Help!

I've been feeling great. Although today I've been drinking faster and tried to have my cream of wheat too close to my Water and now I feel full. Like its in my throat and the only thing that will make me feel better is to throw up. I threw up like 2 times but very little. Has this happened to you? What helps? Is this restriction?

many times..its the worst feeling there is...

This has happened to all of us at one time or another. Yes, it's a horrible feeling, but it will pass.

I am shocked however that you are 5 days post op and allowed to have cream of wheat. I was on a clear liquid diet for the first 7 days post op, and regular liquids for 7 days after that. I wasn't allowed to move to the pureed stage until my 3rd week post op.

Good to hear that. Yeah my surgeon does full liquids right after surgery. Which allows cream Soups, yogurt and thinned cream of wheat. I was fine until I took that extra sip of the Cereal. Then bam, I can't stop regurgitating. I'm afraid I'll rip my sleeve from all the vomiting..

You could also "rip" your esophagus from a lot of vomiting. It's called a 'Mallory-Weiss' tear.

Sounds like you really need to S--L--O--W D--O--W--N. Sip a little. wait. wait. wait. sip again. We all had to learn that, and (if like me), am still needing to be reminded to s.l.o.w. d.o.w.n.

I'm surprised you didn't do Clear Liquids first.

Edited by Dr-Patient

Good to hear that. Yeah my surgeon does full liquids right after surgery. Which allows cream Soups, yogurt and thinned cream of wheat. I was fine until I took that extra sip of the cereal. Then bam, I can't stop regurgitating. I'm afraid I'll rip my sleeve from all the vomiting..

Please call your surgeon? Having excessive vomiting 5 days after the new sleeve was formed is a really good reason to call. Feel better asap.

Thanks! I actually feel tons better :) I think I just drank my Water way too fast and then tried to have my cereal. I already called. They said it sounds normal and to just do clear liquid the rest of today and start my normal full liquid tomorrow.

I would of never been able to do anything but clear the first weak. My stomach was all kinds of crazy like how yours just was.

Glad you're feeling better. I was placed on full liquids on day three after surgery so I guess my doctor, like yours, transitions sooner than some. Wonder why the difference?

My surgeon does a lot that others don't do. I can take whole pills, soft solids can start at 2 weeks, I can take ibuprofen .... It's strange and I regret my surgery. I'm so bitter right now. My sleeve has a kink, I can't eat or drink hardly anything. I had to have iv fluids today and I'm on high dose steroids to hopefully lessen the swelling. If I can't eat by Tuesday I get a feeding tube. I'm not happy about that. Sorry to be so negative but this sucks

Good to hear that. Yeah my surgeon does full liquids right after surgery. Which allows cream Soups, yogurt and thinned cream of wheat. I was fine until I took that extra sip of the cereal. Then bam, I can't stop regurgitating. I'm afraid I'll rip my sleeve from all the vomiting..

I was on full liquids from day 1 as well. No clear liquids stage for me. Like other have said slooooooowww down. This is an awful feeling and you're going to feel like crap for a few hours but it will pass.

My surgeon does a lot that others don't do. I can take whole pills, soft solids can start at 2 weeks, I can take ibuprofen .... It's strange and I regret my surgery. I'm so bitter right now. My sleeve has a kink, I can't eat or drink hardly anything. I had to have iv fluids today and I'm on high dose steroids to hopefully lessen the swelling. If I can't eat by Tuesday I get a feeding tube. I'm not happy about that. Sorry to be so negative but this sucks

I know from reading your other posts about the problems you were having - I'm wondering if the oatmeal was too soon and if that caused your kink. I'm surprised at how many people are full liquids 2 weeks post op- mine is only 1 week but you didn't have a time frame.

I know from reading your other posts about the problems you were having - I'm wondering if the oatmeal was too soon and if that caused your kink. I'm surprised at how many people are full liquids 2 weeks post op- mine is only 1 week but you didn't have a time frame.

Different doctors have different protocols. I didn't have a clear liquid phase. My doc's protocol is 2 weeks full liquids> 2 weeks purees>2 weeks soft foods >whatever I can tolerate. I had oatmeal within the first 2 weeks and had absolutely zero issues.

Some doctors want their patients on regular food ASAP. Until someone release a study as to what diet protocol tends to have the least complications I 'm going with it's just luck of the draw.

I surprised at the co-morbs that people considerably smaller than I was have pre-op, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.