Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need practical advice (long)

Hi. I am 8 days post op and I am failing miserably with getting my Protein. I am lactose intolerant so I can't have anything milk based. I've gotten to the point where any whey Protein Drink or unflavored (yeah right) powder makes me gag. I AM DONE ????.

That emoji is cute, but I am literally in tears at the thought of more "fake" Protein. I won't be released to mushy foods until Wednesday (Feb 11), but I got so desperate that I put some retried Beans in the food processor and ate a little of that, spitting out any pieces of "bean skin". (Gross, I know). My question is this..... Is there anyone that started mushies after one week? If so, what did u eat? I just can't spend any more time, energy, and money chasing supplements that I just can't keep down.

I really hope that this post doesn't turn into a lecture about following my NUT's plan explicitly. I'm very serious about my health, my weight loss, and my new little tummy. In order to up my chances of success, I adopted a low carb/high protein diet pre-op and was very faithful. I am not worried about my protein when I can eat real food, just stressing now. Any advice on food would be great.

Thanks - Amye

My surgery was 1/29 and I was released today by my doctor to start purred food. I ate black bean Soup for lunch and then egg salad for dinner. I was only able to eat 2 ounces but I was able to keep it down. I also drank 1-2 ounces of a Protein Shake. I agree that it's definitely hard to get all the Protein in. I'm struggling too. But I think it will take time, so once you can have puréed food just try your best. Have you tried Isopure ready to drink protein?? The flavors are so strong, but it's clear liquid and you might like them. Good luck, I will be interested in what others say:)

I'm 4.5 months out and I have to tell you, everything was harder at the beginning. I found it nearly impossible to get in all my Protein in in the first 2 weeks. I talked to my doctor at that time and he told me to concentrate on staying hydrated more than getting the Protein in. Yes, I hit a wall on the third week, with a lack of energy, but it was too difficult to get the required amount of protein when you can eat so little at the beginning. It will get easier soon, so concentrate on getting enough Water for now.

Also, I had the best luck with GENEPRO. It is as tasteless as I have found. It doesn't mix well in Water, but blends in nearly undetectable in most other products. Finally, while i was still in the hospital, I was given liquid Prosource. I bought that on Amazon when I got home bc that was the easiest way for me to get protein. I just added it to my water with a crystal light mix and it wasn't too bad. I think it was 15g of protein per 1 tbsp.

Hope that helps. Lots of luck!!

Edited by LaLoLaughs

Agree with the post above. You dont have to jeopardize your recovery by taking puree early. Even if you cannot get much Protein in first 2-3 weeks, I doubt its going to have any significant impact on eventual weight loss. The most important thing at this time is to keep hydrated and let the sleeve heal. You can always catch up once you are on puree.

I'm really not sure what type of reply you want. You want to know what you can eat but you don't want to be advised to stick to your Doc's plan. Do you want people here to give you permission to go against your doctor's orders?

Edit: I am not trying to be snarky, I am seriously not sure what you are looking for here. :)

@@amyecpa

To answer your question, I had my first post-op appointment one week after surgery and on that day I was cleared to start pureed foods. The first thing I ate was about a quarter of a scrambled egg. You say you're not worried about getting your Protein once you start real foods but I don't think you quite realize how "real" foods are going to feel. You will be able to eat more of some things than others. For example, at almost 3 months out, I can eat a whole cup of yogurt, but barely 3/4 of a scrambled egg. I still drink Protein drinks daily to reach my goals. And of course, everyone's stomach will react differently so you'll need to take it easy every time you try something new. I highly recommend the Isopure ready to drink Protein Drinks. They are lactose & gluten free. Also, if you try the powder form, say Alpine Punch flavor (it's gross by itself), mix it with a Powerade zero and it becomes drinkable.

As @@LipstickLady said, we're not going to tell you it's ok to go against doctor's orders. I would advise you call your doctor's office and discuss your difficulties. They're not an evil gang out to make you starve or building some capitalist conspiracy to sell Protein shakes therefor forcing you to drink them. They will offer you the best suggestions and advice to help you. They want you to succeed as much as you do.

Edited by beachgurl84

Agree with the post above. You dont have to jeopardize your recovery by taking puree early. Even if you cannot get much Protein in first 2-3 weeks, I doubt its going to have any significant impact on eventual weight loss. The most important thing at this time is to keep hydrated and let the sleeve heal. You can always catch up once you are on puree.

I see your point. I'm just so tired and weak. I know this is one of the hardest parts, BUT it's only temporary. Thanks for the perspective.

I'm really not sure what type of reply you want. You want to know what you can eat but you don't want to be advised to stick to your Doc's plan. Do you want people here to give you permission to go against your doctor's orders?

Edit: I am not trying to be snarky, I am seriously not sure what you are looking for here. :)

I've read several posts where people were released to puréed at one week, so I wanted to know what they ate at that point. I'm at a low point... mentally, physically and emotionally. Just looking for advice, shared experiences and support - not permission. ????

Bob's red mill makes a plain soy isolate. You can use that to get in your Protein. No sugar or other additives. Just protein. It will mix with Soups or broth.< /p>

You also should call & discuss this with your nutritionist. I had to make adjustments because I am a vegetarian with multiple food allergies. Speaking with my nutritionist helped me develop a plan that worked.

Edited by BLERDgirl

@@amyecpa I was a week out on Thanksgiving Day and the dietitian told me I could have pureed turkey so I did! I couldn't have much but i really enjoyed it. I also ate a lot of vegetarian chili which is easy to mash up. I was fortunate and could drink the shakes and enjoy Greek yogurt. Good Luck to you.

You may find that an egg based Protein supplement will suffice for you. Check out Whole Foods or a health food store. I bought "Jay Robb Egg White Protein" in chocolate, which I add to my milk based chocolate shakes to boost them a bit. But I think they have it in non-flavored which can be added to clear Soups and such. One little packet has 24 g of egg Protein. I looked on one of my packets just now and it lists a website: Jayrobb.com.

I've read several posts where people were released to puréed at one week, so I wanted to know what they ate at that point. I'm at a low point... mentally, physically and emotionally. Just looking for advice, shared experiences and support - not permission.

Every surgeon is different. What my doctor tells me to do is based on HIS surgery and HIS practice. His advice has no relation to your procedure.

I was on full liquids for a two weeks. I wasn't allowed to have purees until I saw the NP at my two week check up. Unfortunately for me, that appointment was 19 days out, not 14. I am not a sweets person, and almost everything on my OK list was sweet. Couldn't tolerate my shakes, I hate yogurt, pudding cups are ewww, Jello makes me gag and a girl can only have so many SF popsicles. What did *I* do? I sucked it up. I had no choice. I concentrated on what I could drink and the little Protein I could get down.

I'm strong. I can do anything for a few weeks. So are you. Seriously.

Every surgeon is different. What my doctor tells me to do is based on HIS surgery and HIS practice. His advice has no relation to your procedure

No disrespect intended, but the procedures are indeed similar as is the advice! Surgeons have certain habits based on preferences and experiences. If you are lucky, you even may get one that follows current evidence!

I think "sucking it up" is not the best choice. I would suggest calling the NUT and asking for advice. If you are able to get Protein from other sources than you should do so. Eating/drinking things that make you gag when you have just had surgery is not a good idea. Some practices start purees at 3 days some wait longer. There is a great article at http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/050114p44.shtml. Good Luck!

No disrespect intended, but the procedures are indeed similar as is the advice!

Mmmmm.... if that was the case, why do so many of us have such different pre-op and post-op diets?

I think "sucking it up" is not the best choice.

Oddly, that's exactly what my doctor told me to do.