Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op soreness question

I am now 3 days post op and I am pretty soar. I have one incision that is giving me fits. It's dimples in. And I feel like it's the one that is preventing me from moving more. I have problems getting up, walking up straight and just very slow. I trust that this isn't permanent. The question is when was you fully mobile?

thanks

I am 3 weeks out and still move slowly at times, but I also pulled a muscle on that side about 10days out, so I don't think I am the norm. That incision is likely the one that where the scope was, and is larger and causes a little more tissue damage when they remove it. At least that is how my doc explained it to me. When sitting up I try to have a pillow pressed to that size, and heat and ice have also helped.

They want me to walk and exercise but I just can't do that much. I am stumbling around home and trying to at least keep my circulation up. I guess that is something

SLOW DOWN! ;)

I will be 14 days post op come Monday and I'm still not fully mobile. Most likely you still have air in your belly from surgery - hence the dimple. I had that for roughly a week. As long as you all your functions are working...burping, passing gas, and pooping...I hear that's most of the battle. I was in the hospital for 4-days and spent another 4 days in my bed at home going to the bathroom and back to bed (20ft) until things started to deflate (if you will). Stay focused on the here and now...it will all come together!

Slow is fine. Take a Tylenol if you have to. I had one incision that bothered me a little on the left side but I think it was because I had to turn to that side to get out of bed. The first week all I did was walk around the house, to and from kitchen or bathroom. I did get out of bed often as I didn't want to get a blood clot for laying down so much, even though that's all I wanted to do. I did go to the mailbox on day 7. I could not do much because I was so exhausted but I wasn't in any big pain. Perhaps a 2 on a 1 to 10 scale, with 10 being the most pain. In other words mild. But oh so tired. By the end of the 2nd week, I felt better. By 6 weeks (I am almost 7 now) I felt better then before surgery. Hang in there. In my opinion, the first 4 weeks are the hardest and then it gets better everyday. Also at 4 weeks it's when you usually get cleared for all types of exercise which to me means the first 4 weeks are "healing time" to allow incisions to heal.

I found that with the used of a tummy binder that mobility was way easier. It hold everything still when you move, stops the jiggling. :)

Where do find something like this?

I'm off the pain meds they gave me, they made me too loopy. It's just getting around is slow and painful sitting up. I'm taking Tylenol and it works for the internal pains. I just foolishly didn't expect this. Was thinking it was going to be more painful getting fluids in. Which it isn't at all.

I got one when I left the hospital but you can get them at a pharmacy.

Did you have yours done laparoscopic? I'm pre-op and still not sure what to expect?

Yes laparoscopic, it's nothing too bad. It's not that bad if you just figure out to move.