Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

STARVING! Liquid pre-op diet....

I started my liquid diet today and I am starving!! AND I already cheated! I had a small burger on my way to work cause I just couldnt stand the though of strarving all night...

I am scheduled to have my surgery 11/18 and need to be on Clear liquids w/ optional Protein Shakes 3 times a day til then and I just dont know if I can do it....I know that there has been tons of people that have cheated during their liquid diet phase as well, I just didnt know that it was going to be this hard.

Any suggestions/tips on how to get through this? Did you cheat? Any non-cheaters?

@@TNchick hey hi I'm still pre op so I can't offer any advice I'm nervous about this as well ill be there soon I've seen ppl on here say it's bad for three days or so and it gets better I will hope for u that it does all I can say is keep in mind the reason your even doing it is to get the surgery if u don't do what u need to do to get there u could be rescheduled and have this drawn out longer and that would suck! Good luck to u and hey if u want to vent I'm here vent away lol

@@TNchick hey hi I'm still pre op so I can't offer any advice I'm nervous about this as well ill be there soon I've seen ppl on here say it's bad for three days or so and it gets better I will hope for u that it does all I can say is keep in mind the reason your even doing it is to get the surgery if u don't do what u need to do to get there u could be rescheduled and have this drawn out longer and that would suck! Good luck to u and hey if u want to vent I'm here vent away lol

Thanks shellyd88! Yeah Im just throwing back some Protein Shakes and some broth and I feel a little better, I just need to get over this "more meal" mentallity....

It certainly gets easier. Just keep in mind why you are doing this.

@@TNchick I can relate I'm not on all liquids yet as I don't have a surgery date yet I think I'll be in jan but they have me on south beach to lose wieght meat and vegs only a little fruit now but no Pasta rice bread it's boring as hell I've sorta gotten used to it but still have trouble missing chocolate and Desserts I just keep any junk out of the house or else I'll eat it lol I have started using Protein Shakes tho wanted to see what I could tolerate so far I like the GNC total lean ready to drink chocolate and strawberry but not the vanilla

I am on day 8 of the liquid diet and 7 more days to go! My surgery is next Wednesday on the 19th. I can tell you for me 8 days in and I still have that feeling of starving. I really thought about cheating on day 2 I was telling myself if your gonna cheat day 2 is the best day to do it. That being said I couldn't let myself do it. I want this surgery so bad so I just keep telling myself its only 7 more days as I sit here with my tummy hurting and the feeling that I'm starving. One thing I can say has helped is buying big cups of crushed ice and mindlessly snacking on it. It really helped curb my cravings to snack. Stay strong and don't punish yourself for cheating just count down the days to surgery and the day that will change your life.

I have seen a lot of different types of diets on here from other people. Some have the 2 week liquid preop diet like me. Some do liquid during the day and get to eat something like chicken and veggies for dinner. And then there are people who don't have to do any kind of preop diet so I assume it depends on the doctor. I was told that this is a liver shrinking diet to help the doctors be able to get to the top portion of the stomach. I have been on it 8 days and have lost 22 pounds so far. It is hard but feels great to lose some of this weight.

No, I never cheated once. And yes, the liquid diet sucks. I had a headache and was starving and was very grumpy the whole time. But I figured if I couldn't stick with a simply liquid diet for a few weeks i had no business wasting my Surgeon's time and my money (I was self pay). Besides, I wasn't going to do anything to compromise the safety of my surgery. Cheating just isn't worth it. Just remember why you are having this surgery and keep focused on the end goal, rather than wallow in the minor discomfort of today. Believe me, the pre and postop diet restrictions are very temporary and a small sacrifice for the great reward of weight loss. Each time you cheat, it's harder to not cheat the next time. But each time you do the right thing, it just makes you stronger and better able to say no the next time. You need to set yourself up for long term success. Good luck.

Edited by Kindle

The Protein shake helps alot ....PROTEIN cuts hunger....i am on my 13th day and have till the 20th nov for my surgery

GOOD LUCK!

Omg you can do this!! I did 2 weeks liquid diet and now I'm 1 week post op and still in liquid diet for the next 2 weeks..

STICK TO YOUR GUNS! I DID IT AND SO CAN YOU! I ONLY HAVE 7 DAYS LEFT TILL SURGERY...STAY ON IT AND DON'T GIVE UP! ITS ONLY A FEW DAYS OUT OF YOUR LIFE. YOU WILL BE SO MUCH HAPPIER WHEN ITS ALL DONE. ;)

IS YOUR SURGERY ON THE 20TH LIKE MINE? VERY COOL!

Omg you can do this!! I did 2 weeks liquid diet and now I'm 1 week post op and still in liquid diet for the next 2 weeks..

Mine on the 20th also... Drink drink drink - we can do this!