Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone. I have my pre op appointment in two weeks to start the liquid diet and will have surgery in December. I am diabetic and need to loose about 80 lbs but am mainly doing this because I am diabetic. Its been frustrating over the years because my body starts to resist all effort and now I am taking insullin . I would love to hear from y'all about if this really does get rid if the diabetes. I am having a SIP where is the sleeve and they also do the bipass my dr says it help with dumping and malisorption problems. I honestly am doing this more for the diabetes because I have been fat my whole life and don't even know if I have a thin side of me. I have no other health problems even though I am 57 years old. My blood pressure is actually low and I had to do a stress test because my heartrate is low (no problems) I am also rather hyper and active and wonder.how this will change me. Thanks for listening. I cant wait. ..very excited to not have to do shots anymore

I too am diabetic ( for over 20 yrs) and before surgery I was taking a ton of insulin.(about 2 bottles a week) #1 you are NOT going to get rid of diabetes because it is an incurable disease.......you are gonna CONTROL it !!! Since surgery, I have only taken 1 shot. My 14 day average is 118......which is wonderful news to me. But on the flip side.....I am only having liquids and not getting in alot of carbs. But on the other flip side.....you CANNOT overeat!!! 1 cup of broth and I am full!! GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!!!

I had RNY gastric bypass 18 months ago. Before surgery, I was diabetic and on two types of blood sugar medicine to control it. When I left the hospital 2 days after surgery, my diabetes went into remission and I was off all my diabetic medicine and haven't taken any since. My blood sugar levels are normal.

I eat a balanced meal plan of carbs, fats and Protein, about 1 cup per meal. I avoid eating processed sugar, along with honey, corn Syrup, high fructose corn syrup, and cane juice. But that leaves artificial sweeteners, natural sugars found in fruit and milk, and other natural sweeteners, such as stevia to satisfy my sweet tooth. One of the important things that I learned in the process was the difference between the types of sweeteners - some affected my blood sugar levels while others didn't.

HI everyone,

I too was Diabetic pre-surgery and on Metformin ER, but since my surgery my BS are normal and no meds. So this is such a plus, because i hate taking any meds.

My only complaint is my weight loss is going slow due to my age (very old) :) and a thyroid condition which affects your metabolism, but at least it's going in the right direction. I feel great and it hasn't been two months since the surgery, so I need to stop worrying about the numbers.

I value my meetings with my nutritionist monthly, she keeps me encouraged. I also track my food intake daily on a spreadsheet, so I can keep track of carbs, fats, sugar,calories, and Protein

Keep up the good work, everyone, it's worth it!

Hugs

Hi there. I too am a type 2 diabetic. I chose RNY for that reason as well as the fact that I had GERD. My surgery was on Sept. 29th. I was on metformin before surgery along with, high cholestorol drugs and meds for GERD.

I have lost over 40 lbs since. I have been off metformin since I left the hospital and my sugars range from 90 to 109. I am also off GERD and cholestorol drugs. This week they are talking about removing me from drugs they were giving me to prevent Migraines. I have not had a single Migraine since I started the Liquid Protein diet in early sept. For me, this was the best decision I ever made. Good luck on your journey!

Had RNY done last Thursday so far I don't have high blood pressure anymore. My insulin dosage used to be 8u,10u,18u nova rapid for each meal and 60u lantus for bed now I take just lantus 40u. I'm type 1 diabetic and told that insulin diasage will drop more. Not sure on my under active thyroid yet I'll wait and see.

But to hear my blood pressure is ok n not needing tablets is great.

Wow thank you guys. It really is amazing how quickly your sugars went down. This surgery really is life saving isnt it?

Yes it is no blood pressure issues or diabetes right out the hospital I have low bp and Normal readings for diabetes I was on two meds for both and if I didn't take my diabetes meds I would get a yeast infection omg I hated it now I'm good 4 weeks out yay to us all pre and pos

I was on insulin 3x per day and 1000 mg of Metformin twice a day. My best A1c was 6.5 and my fasting numbers were usually between 110 and 135.

Since surgery, I have been in remission. I no longer take any medications for my diabetes. My last A1c was 4.2.

I eat less than 40 g of carbs per day.

So, what is a normal blood sugar level after gastric bypass? Doing the pre-op diet, I was having extremely low readings. Low enough that I was pulled off my diabetes meds early. Since my surgery on the 10th, I'm running around 84. While in the hospital, it was running a little higher but each time the nurse checked, it was a little bit lower I just want to make sure that I don't go back to too low!

Hi, I have Type 1 Diabetes, I'm on an Insulin pump and have my op date 12 Jan, (Gastric Bypass) I'm really excited but worried about how I'm going to handle low blood sugar levels in the first couple of days when I probably won't be eating anything, any other Type 1's with any info or advice? I would love to hear from you

I have Type 2 Diabetes and it was driven by my slow weight gain for years prior to surgery. I am 19 months post-op from RNY and my diabetes went into remission when I left the hospital and has never returned. But I do not know how gastric bypass surgery effects individuals with Type 1 Diabetes. So perhaps someone with Type 1 might chime in and tell their experience.

A few individuals develop Hypoglycemia, or low blood sugar, right after surgery. What is interesting is that these individuals may or may not have diabetes prior to surgery. For someone who never battled with diabetes, this experience is a rather shock the first time. After the experience, they quickly become aware when another attack is coming and take something to correct the problem before it strikes again. And they seem happy with this approach.

I have never experienced low blood sugar during my 19 months post-op.

I'm a type 2 diabetic. I was on 5 medications before surgery, and my surgeon described me as "an insulin-dependent diabetic that doesn't take insulin." When I left the hospital, I was down to just metformin twice a day (1/3 of what I was taking before) and nothing else. I was disappointed that it wasn't totally in remission, but it was still a huge improvement.

I'm really hoping that as my weight continues to drop, I will eventually get off of medication altogether. My morning sugars are slowly coming down.

I'm due for RNY on Jan 14, so I begin the pre-op diet this Wednesday. I've been diabetic since February 1975, just a few weeks less than 40 years. OMG! Anyway, I take the full boat of Metformin, 1000gm 2x daily, plus a special high potency insulin called Humilin R that is 5x stronger than the other stuff. Three times a day around 30U, so this is a LOT of insulin. I'm male, 5' 9", and currently 345. A bit over two years ago, I lost my thyroid completely to cancer and have been on a thyroid hormone replacement ever since.

Has anyone here been through RNY with a match to the above, i.e., severe diabetes and no thyroid at all? If so, I'd appreciate hearing how things went/are going for you with especial interest in any peculiarities you had to deal with.

-Ken

Ken how did the Op go? I had some problems being Type 1 Diabetic