Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm in Raleigh, Paul Enoch's is my surgeon and Nov 14th is my surgery date. I was going to have a lap band but he presented a new fairly new procedure he is doing and asked if I wanted to join a study on long term results. He explained that in Spain they have been doing this surgery for the last 3 years and in the states recently. My wife and I are in the medical field and his reputation is great. He is one of 7 surgeons nationally participating in the study it's called a Sleeve with single Anastomosis duodenoileal bypass (SIPS) . Anyone know anything about this. I can't find anything about this in any of the forums.

Im in Raleigh, Paul Enoch's is my surgeon and Nov 14th is my surgery date. I was going to have a lap band but he presented a new fairly new procedure he is doing and asked if I wanted to join a study on long term results. He explained that in Spain they have been doing this surgery for the last 3 years and in the states recently. My wife and I are in the medical field and his reputation is great. He is one of 7 surgeons nationally participating in the study it's called a Sleeve with single Anastomosis duodenoileal bypass (SIPS) . Anyone know anything about this. I can't find anything about this in any of the forums.

It looks like it is just adding mal absorption to the sleeve. I have never heard of it before.

If you were already decided on the Lap-band I'm not sure why he would suggest this to you. Maybe if you were looking at the Sleeve.

It looks like it is just adding mal absorption to the sleeve. I have never heard of it before.

If you were already decided on the Lap-band I'm not sure why he would suggest this to you. Maybe if you were looking at the Sleeve.

He suggested it in a conversation about my diabetes. That's what brought me to WLS . He says that this surgery has a 95% resolution of diabetes vs. 70% for lap band.

I have emailed his office this am to ask for a few explanations and to understand the differences between the SIPS and the DS.

Below is their reply to my request for more info

Here is some information regarding the SIPS procedure:

Single-Anastomosis Duodenal Switch or Stomach Intestinal Pylorus Sparing Surgery (SIPS)-Introduced in 2007

Single anastomosis duodenal switch (SIPS) primarily depends on intestinal malabsorption, but also utilizes gastric reduction to achieve weight loss. Firstly, a sleeve gastrectomy is performed to reduce the size of the stomach. The lowest part of the intestines, the ileum, is left undivided, but the duodenum is separated, leaving a small segment attached to the stomach and a longer free-hanging segment to which the liver and pancreas are attached. The ileum is brought up and re-connected to the duodenum segment. Digestion of Protein and fat only occurs in the lower portion, about 7 feet long, of the lower intestines.

SIPS is a new type of duodenal switch procedure that made its debut less than 5 years ago and is still under investigation. The main differences between the classic DS and SIPS are the following. There is only one anastomosis between the stomach and the small intestines, as opposed to two in the DS. SIPS creates a longer common channel (through which nutrients pass through) resulting in less frequent bowel movements, less side effects, and less Vitamin deficiencies.

On average, the surgery takes less than two hours to complete; patients are discharged 2-3 days post-op, and return to work after 2-4 weeks.

Advantages

•Greater weight loss results

•Effective procedure to lower cholesterol and triglycerides

•Effective procedure in remission of type-II diabetes

Disadvantages

•May result in less weight loss in the long germ than a classic DS

•Long-term results are still under investigation

Risks

•Bowel obstruction, 2-4% in cases

•Need for reversal or reoperation due to malnutrition, 2-5% in cases

•Leakage, <1% in cases

•Bleeding, <1% in cases

Have you tried Google search?

So I double posted this topic. See the other topic for their response for info request. I now understand the difference and feel good about my decision.

He suggested it in a conversation about my diabetes. That's what brought me to WLS . He says that this surgery has a 95% resolution of diabetes vs. 70% for lap band.

I don't understand why you'd want to get this if it hasn't been around for a long time. The sleeve is very safe, without a lot of surgical connections/re-routing. I was sleeved on Sept. 26th. My diabetes was gone in 2 days! The other co-morbidities, sleep apnea & non-alcoholic fatty liver will go away in 3 - 4 months.

I don't understand why you'd want to get this if it hasn't been around for a long time. The sleeve is very safe, without a lot of surgical connections/re-routing. I was sleeved on Sept. 26th. My diabetes was gone in 2 days! The other co-morbidities, sleep apnea & non-alcoholic fatty liver will go away in 3 - 4 months.

First of all I have complete confidence in my surgeon. My wife and I own a medical practice and his reputation and surgical skills are impeccable. Secondly whilst the version of this surgery is fairly new the surgery itself is not new. It has less connections than the duo switch with better results with fewer complications.

I'm happy for the sucess you have had but statistically I think this surgery is right for me. Additionally I expect this surgery will become a surgical cure for type 2 diabetes in the near future for the non obese population. A much need cure for a terrible progressive disease with current treatment costing way more than the cost of this surgery. Truly a jump in treatment Of type 2 diabetes!

The reason most people choose the band is because they don't have to take out part of your stomach or reroute it in anyway & I have heard of people that have diabetes , some of them get off of their meds because they exercise and eat healthier , there are a couple of people on here that had your Surgeon and have done REALLY well, there is a Person if you look up Carolinagirl & notice her Surgeon , look at her gallery and profile you will see She has done amazing & what the difference is in her transformation, she was banded with plication, so talk with your Surgeon and ask about the band with plication just a suggestion.

Edited by Debbie3sons

I am a type 2 diabetic was banded May 27 this year.I have been on an insulin pump for 14 years taking 5 units per hr plus additional insulin with meals. 1 month ago today I was taken off the pump. Currently taking lantis once a day with metformin. I am down 77 pounds and loving not being on the pump. In my opinion the band is a good tool for some. It is your body do what you feel is best. I wanted to keep my organs in tact that's why I chose the band. Yes not being a diabetic is cool too however, weight loss will change your diabetes. Best of luck as you embark on a new journey.

Rose

The reason most people choose the band is because they don't have to take out part of your stomach or reroute it in anyway & I have heard of people that have diabetes , some of them get off of their meds because they exercise and eat healthier , there are a couple of people on here that had your Surgeon and have done REALLY well, there is a Person if you look up Carolinagirl & notice her Surgeon , look at her gallery and profile you will see She has done amazing & what the difference is in her transformation, she was banded with plication, so talk with your Surgeon and ask about the band with plication just a suggestion.

Will do. Thanks for the input! Always nice to hear the good stuff!

For what it's worth... I had type 2 diabetes and was treating it with Lantus injections and Janumet pills. I stopped them all one week after sleeve surgery and have never gone back. At my last endocrinologist appointment, my A1C was lower without meds than it was before surgery with meds. My endo was really excited for me and joked, "Those bastards are going to run me out of business!" Apnea was gone in a couple of weeks, and asthma went away quickly as the weight came down. Still taking cholesterol and BP meds, but my levels are great and I expect to get off them at about 6 months. So my question would be... If you have a reasonable chance of getting these types of results with just the sleeve, why escalate until you know it's needed? I'll bet it's possible to get a revision to the new procedure if the sleeve doesn't do the trick for you. Good luck with your decision!

Very interesting. Post if you get more information. Seems like overseas they are doing a lot more experimental procedures that could be the wave of the future.