Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 years post op questions

I had a lap band 4 years ago, and lost 100 pounds within two years. I had 130 total to lose. I have not felt hunger the last two years, since I had my last adjustment. I have gained 20 pounds over the last 2 years, even though I barely eat. I am confused as to why I am gaining weight. I don't want to get another adjustment because I know I don't eat enough as it is now. I am not sure what to do.

What does a daily menu look like for you and do you track calories or have any idea how much you consume/

I have coffee with cinnamon, honey and coconut oil in the morning. I can't eat anything because it comes back up if I do. I can eat mid morning, and I have some granola. I usually eat Beenie weenies, tuna with crackers, or fruit cocktail for lunch. Just one of those though, not all 3! I will usually have Soup for dinner. I drink a lot of chocolate milk and snack on Peanut Butter crackers or popcorn. I know I am eating less than 1000 calories a day, but I can't eat more!

Just my opinion but you're way too tight and your food consumption is mostly all unhealthy slider foods. The quality of calories is very important and it does not sound like you're eating healthy foods.

I've seen many posts like yours from people who think that as long as they're not hungry the band is doing it's job. Not so in many cases. You should be eating more Protein and vegetables. And you don't say anything about exercise?

Get your life back and take some Fluid out of your band and start eating real food again. Processed foods like Soups, Peanut Butter, choc milk, beanie weenies and tuna is no way to live.jmo

You should be eating lean beef, fresh seafood and poultry, salads and steamed veggies. And eggs, ham, omelets, turkey sausage, Greek yogurt with granola for Breakfast.

Missing one meal may be OK but if you do, you should fill in the other 2 with healthy foods.

Sounds like you need a small unfill. As tmf said, you should be able to eat regular food and without it coming back up. If that is happening then you're too tight. You need to make an appointment to see your doctor. Congratulations on 4 years of banded life by the way.

Let me apologize if I come across preachy? It's just that we see so many people post with very tight bands only to fail with the band and experience slips, dilation, hernias and erosion from bands being so tight as yours appears to be? Many of these other forum members also turned to slider foods since they couldn't eat fresh healthy foods. Just want to see you succeed and not experience any complications?

I'm coming up on 4 years, and have not eaten a solid Breakfast in almost as many...it's just impossible....what you're eating for breakfast I could never....so I have a very high Protein, freshly made smoothie every day for breakfast, plus my coffee, etc.

One of my biggest breakthroughs, was when I quit worrying about counting calories, and what I eat and how much I eat everyday. If I eat, I eat. If I don't, I don't....

I let my band dictate that, and like you, I am NEVER hungry....so it is not something on my mind anymore.

But I do concentrate on my daily Protein requirements, plus Water...VERY IMPORTANT! Hungry or not it must get done.

So when I do eat, it is always protein focused, which does not leave room/appetite for anything else, meaning junk. If I have one shot at eating, why blow it on something like pizza? That may be the only thing I eat for a while and there is no benefit to eat.

There is a lot of talk about stalls, etc.

I believe as one looses weight and develops a new selections of foods and level of physical activity, the body, metabolism, adjusts itself and settles into a new-different normal. Hence weight loss stalls.

Something needs to kick that metabolism's butt into gear again...increasing exercise, less calories, and perhaps both.

This is all my opinion, based upon my personal experiences....I would never expect others to do things because I do it...Heaven Forbid!!! Others have found other thinking to find their complete success. I have found mine, and everyone else's is somewhere in between.

My metabolism and weight loss has settled out (again) and it is is at a good place, where it will remain for the rest of my life....with a whole new lifestyle of eating and exercising, and no more weight to loose.

So you can say I have been at a stall for years now, and I'm happy with it.

Never felt better and healthier in my life, and my Dr.'s (all of them) could not be happier.....

Edited by B-52

I also believe our bodies don't metabolize the same post surgery ..after the " honeymoon" years later. Many of us eat around 1000 calories a day , if the posts are correct, and that maintains where our weight stabilizes Some a bit higher than we would choose. Some at goal but certainly healthier I hope. With a good dose of exercise thrown in and decent eating habits and Water. That may be where we find ourselves, as I do, many years down the bariatric road.