Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

supplements/crossfit

So most of us take a multi Vitamin along with our b complex and Iron.

Does anyone take pre or post workout supplement? What do You like about It? I started taking Prosculpt for my pre workout and its ok. It gives me a little boost but goes away soon after my workout. Then I mix my bcaas with my Protein Shake afterwards. Alot of fitness people back up taking supplements but I wondered how many people actually take them

Also, I was thinking about joining a crossfit gym. They are really expensive but train hard. Any ladies here do crossfit and if so did you struggle? I have had episodes of nausea and light headedness before working out.

Edited by misstar05

I lost a lot of weight doing crossfit and the paleo diet. but had a baby and gained it all back. I dont really have time to go anymore but may go back after my surgery on Oct. I dont recommend eating before a crossfit class, u may puke!

I get sick if I work too hard anyways. Not sure if cross fit would be for me

I do CrossFit and weight training. I eat more carbs on those days (gasp!)...Lol! I eat good carbs, like oatmeal and sweet potato. I up my calories too, because if I don't I get dizzy and have blackouts. I also take supplements for pre and post workouts. I take NO-Xplode pre-workout, and Cell Mass post-workout. Along with the Cell Mass, I drink a Protein shake because--in the most simplistic version of explanation--your muscles absorb it better if consumed within the first 1/2 hour of your post-workout to aid in growth and recovery. I try to get in 1 gram of Protein per pound of my body weight (which is really hard, but I try) to aid in muscle growth. My body has TRANSFORMED because of it!!!

I suggest upping your calories. Nuts, Protein Bars and Protein shakes in between meals really helps in getting those extra calories. Hope this helps! Good luck :D

Edited by Curvy

Thank you Curvy =)

I'm just starting my journey (the have orientation in a couple of weeks kind of starting!) I am an avid crossfitter now and that was one of my big concerns--will I be too weak for crossfit after I start this? I tried Optifast through kaiser years ago and had issues with dizziness and passing out so I wondered. How long after your surgery were you able to go to crossfit?

I was really weak initially post-op, it took me about four weeks to up the intensity. Don't plan on getting back into it immediately. It'll be something you ease back into until your body adjusts. But, everybody is different. Just read/listen your body.

Thank you Curvy =)

As long as I can do crossfit after this I'll be happy! I have a fair bit to lose and am a bit worried about loose skin--do you think it helps tighten it up? I know I'm strong now and have a lot of muscle built up... Hoping that helps too! Did you do crossfit before your surgery?

I went caffeine free for more than a year post op. I used Extend as a pre workout then. I did find however that adding back some caffeine improved my performance. I take super HD or Amino Energy now. Post workout, I eat proats (protein powder & oatmeal), scrambled eggs, or a Protein Shake.

Muscle, hydration and time all help with loose skin, but EVERYBODY is different. Genetic factors--as far as skin elasticity, as well as age, size, period of time being a certain size...all play into loose skin. I'm in my mid 30's and have had 4 kids. No matter how much muscle mass I've built and how much I've dropped in body fat %, I still need a Tummy Tuck. I'll get mine in December (hopefully, no later than the beginning of summer) because I have an apron that will not go away. Surgeon confirmed that it was all skin and that there was nothing else I could do but have it removed.

Thank you erp =) I usually do a Protein smoothie after workouts now. I'm almost never hungry after a WOD, which is really nice--I hear that's not the norm (the friend who got me started is ravenous after a WOD, as is my brother)

I know I will have to give up caffeine when I give up soda (I can't drink coffee so diet Pepsi has been my drink of choice for years.) Not looking forward to that but it will be worth it in the long run.

Hi Curvy,

I am in my 30s as well. I suspect I will need one as well. I believe my doctor told me years ago that if I ever got yeast infections due to the extra skin that my insurance would cover a Tummy Tuck. Never thought I'd be hoping for that...

I have yo-yoed all my life... I am about 50 lbs less than my highest and I do still have looser skin from that = it's quite the process.

A friend of mine had this procedure and while she has extra skin for sure... It hasn't been a deal breaker yet in her dating so that's good to hear =)

I went back to crossfit about 1month later but did no ab work ... It was a little hard at the start due to lack of energy but it's not so bad ... I'm 3.5 months post op and I try and go 3 times a week

That's really good to hear! I know the owner at my gym will be helpful getting me back in.

I'm actually off crossfit right now for an injury... Rolled my ankle back in May (such a nothing thing too--didn't really hurt when it happened and it never even swelled up) but it wasn't getting better so I stopped 2 months ago to try to rest it. No improvement still. Found out yesterday at appt with podiatrist I actually fractured a bone in my foot! Now barred from crossfit for another 2-3 months. Pretty bummed about that... I'm grumpy when I can't crossfit!

Hi ladies!

I am pre-op and currently go to my CF box at least 4-6 times a week, plus I bike, swim, etc..

I am looking at the surgery in January.. I just hope I dont lose a bunch of strengthe couple weeks I'm off.. My surgeon said I should be able to go back in 2-3 weeks, and be fully recovered in 4. I'm hopeful.. I LOVE crossfit.

I also lost 50 pounds a couple years ago due to CF, paleo, whole 30, and lots of cardio, but I got pregnant (surprise, thought we were infertile) and then gained it back plus some, and I just can't get back under 300.

Hi there!

Losing strength is what I'm worried about too. I love lifting! Of course I will lose more during this forced 4-5 month hiatus than because of the surgery (I hope). My own feeling on time off crossfit is:

A week feels like 2, 2 feels like a month, and a month feels like a year.

I miss it like crazy. You know you're addicted when you miss the soreness! Normally I go 3-5 times a week. But when I start back I'll start back at 2 times a week and work my way up. I was sooo happy to see that it's still possible after the surgery!

I just had my orientation today and am likely about 9 months out from surgery. I'm definitely excited now that things are going to start moving!