Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psych Appointment tomorrow....nervous!

I have my psych evaluation tomorrow morning and I am nervous! I just hope it goes ok. It is my next to last clearance I have to get before my paperwork can be submitted to insurance.

My co-worker's husband had the sleeve using the same insurance and doctor that I am using back in April, so he has been a great source of information as far as what to expect at each appointment, so I feel like I know what to expect tomorrow. Because I know what to expect, I am nervous. He said I will have to fill out a survey with 300-400 questions on it and maybe another test and then talk to the psych about my dieting history and what I expect to get out of this surgery and I guess just to see what my mindset is.

He said it was really no big deal...but to me...it is. I am nervous. I have severe ADHD and I am unmedicated... I just incorporate behavior modifications in my day to day life (make lists, take frequent breaks, have a solid routine) and I cope pretty well from day to day. I am nervous that after having to focus for so long on 300-400 questions and then possibly other tests, I won't be able to focus on talking to the psych and will come across as a complete lunatic or insincere. I just get really fidgety and my train of thought wanders or I get really aggitated and angry if I have to focus for so long (which rarely happens), and I guess I am just afraid that will come across as a nut case.

Has anyone else had experience with this? Or, does anyone have any suggestions?

I feel like maybe I should be really up front with the psych when I sit down to talk to him about my ADHD and maybe he will understand?

I would hope a psychologist can distinguish between ADHD and psychopathic behavior. If they can't, there's some bigger issues that need to be addressed. lol

Don't worry it's an easy peasy appointment. when you get there you will laugh at some of the rediculous questions that they ask...such as, I am afraid of the dark, I feel people are out to get me. I am certain you are not a nut case. I too was nervous and was just laughing at the series of questions that I had to answer.

My test was split between 2 different computer tests, around 200 questions each but they are really silly easy questions that you don't need 100% attention to. I would be up front about any issues that you may foresee but I don't think that you will have an issue with it. A friend of mine had the sleeve surgery and she also has ADHD and is doing great! You will be fine!! Good Luck!

Maybe you could do the test over a couple of days. And be upfront with your psychiatrist - you can't be the first person with ADHD to have to do this, you know?

Don't worry it's an easy peasy appointment. when you get there you will laugh at some of the rediculous questions that they ask...such as, I am afraid of the dark, I feel people are out to get me. I am certain you are not a nut case. I too was nervous and was just laughing at the series of questions that I had to answer.

My test was split between 2 different computer tests, around 200 questions each but they are really silly easy questions that you don't need 100% attention to. I would be up front about any issues that you may foresee but I don't think that you will have an issue with it. A friend of mine had the sleeve surgery and she also has ADHD and is doing great! You will be fine!! Good Luck!

My favorite ridiculous question: "If I were a painter, I would enjoy painting flowers." Seriously, what the hell? :lol:

Then when it was done I started feeling bad for the people who had to answer these questions that they have an issue with it...Ha Ha!!

I didn't have to take an extensive written Q&A. I just sat with the wonderful therapist who also runs the support group and we talked about my reasons for wanting the surgery, how I've changed my lifestyle towards nutrition, exercise habits, hobbies, and what my support is with friends and family. She also asked about any history of alcohol/drug abuse and any diagnosed eating disorders. I love psychology and completely trusted the therapist and all went really well.

sheesh, hundreds of questions? seems kind of excessive to me. But each program is different.

I did have some questions to fill out in advance, but they were more food-behavior oriented. Also no where near that many, maybe 50 total.

The pysch appt was less than an hour, and went over my history, and my family history. Probably trying to ID any possible issues I may have, or road blocks I could run in to with support. Why I wanted the surgery and why NOW. That sort of thing. Was definintely nothing to stress over.

I wish you the best of luck with your appointment. I know it's hard not knowing what's going to happen. Just do your best to roll with it. They really just want to make sure you're going to be succesfull and not regret it.

Thank you everyone! You have all made me feel better! I am sure I will be fine and by this time tomorrow I will realize how ridiculous I am being by overthinking everything :)

@amazon- yes, hundreds of questions is what I was told. The paper work that was mailed to me said "the evaluation usually lasts from 3 to 5 hours, depending on the patient". The husband of my coworker said his took about 4 hours.