Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What would you change?

I am new to this site and considering Plication or Sleeve. If you knew what you knew (know) now, would you change and get a sleeve? Why did you choose Plication? Thanks for your help!!

I had the band but wish I would have been aware of plication. I was never ready to have 80% of my stomach removed, so plication would have appealed to me. There are several band w/plication on our forum and they're doing very well.

Me, too -- I had never heard of Plication when I was researching my surgery and would have considered that (I think). There are Plication Banders and also a few Plication-only people. Interesting! One guy is participating in a study about Plication. I wish I could remember who that is -- Canadian?

Reason I didn't consider plication is that in 2011 when I was deciding there really wasn't much evidence on plication. I felt like I was experimented on in 2001 when I was banded and that did not work out well for me. Is there good evidence and studies on plication yet?

I have done very well with the sleeve but can understand why people want reversible. However, every person I know who removed the band or even eliminated the fill regained so reversible lost its appeal for me as I faced my own realities.

<p>Reason I didn't consider plication is that in 2011 when I was deciding there really wasn't much evidence on plication. I felt like I was experimented on in 2001 when I was banded and that did not work out well for me. Is there good evidence and studies on plication yet?</p> <p> </p> <p>I have done very well with the sleeve but can understand why people want reversible. However, every person I know who removed the band or even eliminated the fill regained so reversible lost its appeal for me as I faced my own realities.</p>

Hey Cowgirl,

I was going to do the Plication but changed my mind to be sleeved. There just seemed to be more and more people that lost the restriction and said they wished they had just gone ahead and done the sleeve. Also, there is controversy over whether it is actually reversible or not.

I just couldn't get past there not being enough long term information about it. I'm self pay so I have one shot at this and so I decided to go with what has been tried and proven.

Hi. I just had the plication on Monday. I went with it for a few reasons--mostly the cost ($5,000) and that my intestines would not be affected (no dumping and I have a history of colon problems). I've heard about possible reversals, but my opinion is that reversals can theoretically be done but generally aren't because there's an enormous amount of scar tissue to deal with. Plication has been done extensively in other countries--not so much in the US, so finding a really good doctor is the most important issue. Also, you can still gain weight back with a bypass, sleeve, plication, band, etc. It's really about you and how you follow the bariatric diet. Finally, I didn't qualify for the sleeve because my BMI wasn't high enough. Do what's best for you. Find a doctor you really trust. All of us have a bunch of opinions, but only you know what you can and can't handle.

It's easy for us to criticize a procedure we didn't have... but truth of the matter is all I really know about is what it was like to be banded in 2001 in Germany by a world known surgeon and sleeved in WA state in 2011 by a practice with a terrific local reputation.

For me the band was just a nightmare of epic proportions but I realize that others find success and i genuinely wish all huge success. Some of have said that the techniques are better now, but I know that my sleeve surgeon who used to be a "band factory" really seldom does them now. His reasoning is that a higher percentage of people do better with the sleeve or RNY. I never discussed plication with him. When I first heard of plication, before i revised to the sleeve, I had that "deja vu" feeling - like a lot of promise but very little evidence - same as existed with the band in 2001. Again, perhaps in the last few years more info has come out about plication so I am certainly not the one to speak to that!

I think it is really really important to do your homework. While it is interesting to read forums - the truth of the matter you will find both wild success and epic failures for pretty much any WLS for a variety of reasons. I think that looking at actual published studies of a wide population is a much better and more realistic way to look at this. I think also talking to the surgeon about the results seen in their practice! Then, once you pick a procedure, throw your heart and soul into it. I picked a surgeon who had a two year follow up since I had very poor follow up and education with the band i recognized that as one of the issues for me. I learned so much during this time working with their team of experts... I really attribute much of my success to that support and education system that i took full advantage of.

I went from super morbidly obese (BMI over 50) to now weighing about 140, wearing a size 4 jeans and a small or medium top - I did have plastics which is part of why I fit in smaller sizes now. For me, the sleeve has been the tool that I needed to have this success, and i am sure I would have done well with the RNY too.

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm still not certain, but I am leaning toward the sleeve. Neither sleeve, nor plication is covered under Tricare, only Gastric Bypass and Banding, which I think is ridiculous. Can't wait to get this party started!!!

Hi. I'm new to this. Having my plication surgery on 9-2-2014. My BMI is under 50 so I'm going to let DR Ortiz make the call as to whether the sleeve or plication surgery is best for me. I have some pre-existing medical conditions that might preclude me from one or the other, but I know if I don't do something the remaining lifespan will be diminished if not down right short! Lol. I really appreciate everyone's thoughts and opinions as they are all helping me get my game face on!

Hi. I'm new to this. Having my plication surgery on 9-2-2014. My BMI is under 50 so I'm going to let DR Ortiz make the call as to whether the sleeve or plication surgery is best for me. I have some pre-existing medical conditions that might preclude me from one or the other, but I know if I don't do something the remaining lifespan will be diminished if not down right short! Lol. I really appreciate everyone's thoughts and opinions as they are all helping me get my game face on!

Hi lene!

I can tell you I had my Plication on July 23,2014 with Dr Ariel Ortiz. My weight loss goal was about 65 to 50 lbs. I am doing really well. I feel good too. I kept wavering on the Plication or sleeve, when I got there he said, why didn't you call me? He was upset that I was listening to all these people that really didn't know what they were talking about instead of coming to him with my questions. We talked for a bit and after our conversation about Plication versus sleeve there is no way I would have gotten the sleeve. He couldn't stress enough the importance of stomach sparing. He is actually speaking very soon at some big world conference about the Plication surgery. After a year he said you could put a Plication patient and a sleeve patient side by side and without knowing who they were he could pick the Plication patient every time because their appearance was healthier looking. My advise to you is to stop reading so much because you start confusing yourself after a while. Everyone has an opinion. Call Dr Ortiz! Talk to him before your surgery. I read scary tells about the Plication, even his procedure on the sutures is done differently than most surgeons, he also takes into consideration the condition of the stomach tissue, if it could become compromised due to poor condition he will anchor it so there is a much less chance the sutures would come out or rupture. He is truely amazing and knows what he's doing! Trust him and listen to him. That's my advise. You are welcome to ask me all the questions you want.

Wishing you all the best!

Jessie

Jess I agree with listening to surgeons and Plication might be the next great thing but it is completely bull that sleeve patients are not healthy or healthy looking. My blood work is perfect, I hike, bike and ride horses like a demon. I am fit active and attractive and your remark is insulting.

Oh and please don't take it wrong about the comment "I would never have gotten the sleeve".

That was for myself in my situation with the amount of weight I needed to loose. The sleeve is also a great tool and people do very well. Each person has to pick the surgery that's right for them and their situation. Only you and your Dr should decide what's best for you.

Jess I agree with listening to surgeons and Plication might be the next great thing but it is completely bull that sleeve patients are not healthy or healthy looking. My blood work is perfect, I hike, bike and ride horses like a demon. I am fit active and attractive and your remark is insulting.[/

Cowgirl Jane,

I didn't say sleeved patients weren't healthy or looked unhealthy. He said Plication patients have a healthier appearance. Of course, not everyone that has wls does as well as you and yes you are all the things you say. That was not my comment it was our surgeons and I am not here to insult anyone. Kuddos to you for doing so well!

I agree completely that needing to lose 50-60 is a whole different weight class than I was in...needing to lose 150-170 range! I am also happy there are choices as all surgeries have pros and cons and people should consider them carefully.

What I took issue was the remark that you can tell "by looking" at someone that they were sleeved it simply isn't true. I am 50 and I look good and healthy compared to women my age and I think remarks like that scare people off from finding real solutions to the obesity that is killing them. I know I used to believe that about gastric bypass and it just isn't true...if you eat well, exercise etc it will show up in your health.

The attached photo is me with no makeup, no shower, bed hair..haha...The pale skin is my Irish genetics not poor health. I have really good labs and will be 3 years out in December

post-122684-0-70604100-1408059205_thumb.png

post-122684-0-59473400-1408059240_thumb.png

Edited by CowgirlJane

Jess. ..not upset with you. ..no harm no foul...I just feel adamant about the point since I know others -pre ops in particular read these kind of threads is all .