Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am looking for guidance in the maintenance department. I just reached my goal and am wondering how to arrive at the ideal calorie range. My surgeon suggested 1200, however that is the range I've been at for the last four months losing 1-2 pounds a week. I've tracked with MFP for the entire time, and I plan to keep using it forever because I get really OCD about numbers. I'm also wondering how often those of you in maintenance exercise. I'm currently walking an hour every day. Please if you have any guidance or suggestions, I really don't want to gain.

I haven't reached my goal yet, but when I do, this is the plan my dietician laid out for me:

• Increase calories by 100 for a week at a time. So, if I am currently at 900 calories per day, I would go up to 1000 calories per day for a week.
  • If I am still losing weight at the end of that week, increase by another 100 calories.
  • Repeat until I find my maintenance level of intake
  • In maintenance, weigh at least four times per week (I plan to weigh every day) and track intake at least four days per week
  • If I find myself either gaining or losing, make adjustments as necessary
  • When I am increasing calories, try to focus on doing that by adding in foods with healthy fats and/or Fiber - nuts, avocado, olive oil, bananas. Try not to do it by grazing or over-eating.

I am within 10 pounds of my goal and recently went to my nut to determine how to stop my weight loss in a healthy manor. (I'm well aware of the wrong ways)

She had me increase my calories right away to 1500/day (from 1200) and increase carbs to about 160/day. She wanted to slow down my weight loss to 1 pound / week and that has happened .

Upon reaching goal she wants me to increase daily calories to 1900 and carbs to 200. Wants me to get the additional calories from increased fruit, grains, and almonds.

The question you need to answer is how many calories for someone your weight and energy output is required to maintain your current weight. Your body great at determining what you need caloric wise. Set a range; some use 5 lbs some ten lbs from nominal. Track your food and weight. If you get to the high side of your set point you will know to reduce you food intake or on the low side you know you can increase the amount you eat. My NUT weighs daily some weekly.

<p>I haven't reached my goal yet, but when I do, this is the plan my dietician laid out for me:</p> <p> </p> <ul><li>Increase calories by 100 for a week at a time. So, if I am currently at 900 calories per day, I would go up to 1000 calories per day for a week.</li> <li>If I am still losing weight at the end of that week, increase by another 100 calories.</li> <li>Repeat until I find my maintenance level of intake</li> <li>In maintenance, weigh at least four times per week (I plan to weigh every day) and track intake at least four days per week</li> <li>If I find myself either gaining or losing, make adjustments as necessary</li> <li>When I am increasing calories, try to focus on doing that by adding in foods with healthy fats and/or Fiber - nuts, avocado, olive oil, bananas. Try not to do it by grazing or over-eating.</li> </ul>

I like that idea of gradually going up. Thank you.

Great ideas everyone! Thanks for your input.

I have to keep tracking as I eat 60 grams or more of Protein a day but was still losing weight. Can't eat more than about 2 oz of meat or I am sick. Eat more nuts, fruit, add add PB2 to shakes etc. I make sure I don't go below certain points 121 or above 125. 67 and I started at 225.5. ,, 5 ft 11/2 in. Hope this helps.