Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

does sleeve have restriction?

Do u get restriction from sleeve

Yes but with protien.

If you mean things you will have a hard time digesting I would suggest you stay away from bread and rice for awhile. Otherwise just try one food at a time and don't be surprised if eggs are a little rough at first. Once you have recovered you will find that you can eat most all foods. :)

Not sure I understand your question. The obvious answer is "Of course! They remove 85% of your stomach. Restriction is the whole point of the surgery". But, being so obvious I'm wondering if you mean something different by restriction than what I thought you meant.

Not sure I understand your question. The obvious answer is "Of course! They remove 85% of your stomach. Restriction is the whole point of the surgery". But, being so obvious I'm wondering if you mean something different by restriction than what I thought you meant.

Agree with the above.

I get restriction with Protein as noted in a previous post, but I also feel restriction with veggies, fruit, carbs... Everything.

I mean I currently have the band but thinking of revision to sleeve........ with the band...I had a physical "hard" stop that felt slightly uncomfortable n kind like the feeling u get when ur stuft.... n I think I need that.... I need something more then...just satisfied or not hungry..... bc if I can still eat I might still continue to eat

Edited by f1stborn2014

Gotcha! Well at almost 6 months out I've got a lot of restriction. dinner tonight was 1 BBQ rib and 3 brussel sprouts and I'm stuffed. Last night I had three pita bite crackers topped with a Tomato slice and chicken salad....stuffed. I can eat a little more of things like yogurt and Soup, but still no more than 3/4 cup. I can drink liquids all day long. I do get hungry every 3 hours and I snack on nuts or cheese or edamame, etc.

Like any other WLS, this is still a head game. You still have to control what you eat and how you eat and how often you eat. The sleeve just helps you control how much you can eat at one time. Good luck.

I am still on liquids but I don't feel as if I have any restriction. I am always hungry and can drink more than I expected! Will this change once I start actually eating???

Yes it will change. I had the same worry when I was on liquids.

I get full on very little food, and I stay full for 4-6 hours after I eat, depending on the density of the food. It is so important to learn your body's new cues after surgery. "Hungry" feels different. "Full" feels different. The sensation that tells you to STOP EATING feels different, and in my opinion it is THE most important cue to learn. If you take even 1 or 2 bites more than you should, you will feel miserable for HOURS.

At first I found it very helpful to MEASURE out all my food. 1/3 Cup was my capacity, no more. If I didn't measure my food and ate even a little more....ouch. Now I can eyeball it better, but even more importantly I have learned my body's signal "that's enough," and I stop. Unfortunately, your brain still doesn't catch up to your stomach signals for several minutes, so you can't rely on your brain to tell you when to stop. For some people, they burp. Others, hiccup. Some get a pain in their chest or shoulder, or sneeze, or get a runny nose. You will have to learn your own body's signals. For me, it's very subtle and not a feeling I can really put into words, I just know I have to stop--not one more bite. Sometimes I burp or hiccup, but not usually. I push my plate away, and within 5 minutes I feel the tightness in my sleeve and that feeling of fullness and I'm glad I didn't try to eat another bite. :)

I mean I currently have the band but thinking of revision to sleeve........ with the band...I had a physical "hard" stop that felt slightly uncomfortable n kind like the feeling u get when ur stuft.... n I think I need that.... I need something more then...just satisfied or not hungry..... bc if I can still eat I might still continue to eat

You will definitely feel the restriction! My surgeon's dietician told me that after ALL weight loss surgeries, the stomach capacity is basically the same.

As in my post above, you will have to learn your body's new signals. You CAN overeat if you eat too fast and don't pay attention. But if you do, you will feel miserable for hours....and you won't want to do it again!

I'm over a month out and can eat what I want. I find after about 5 bites of Protein (chicken or fish) and 3 bites of a veggie. I feel that the stomach is closed for business. A lot of times I get a hickurp. A hick up burp combo.

Yes it will change. I had the same worry when I was on liquids. I get full on very little food, and I stay full for 4-6 hours after I eat, depending on the density of the food. It is so important to learn your body's new cues after surgery. "Hungry" feels different. "Full" feels different. The sensation that tells you to STOP EATING feels different, and in my opinion it is THE most important cue to learn. If you take even 1 or 2 bites more than you should, you will feel miserable for HOURS. At first I found it very helpful to MEASURE out all my food. 1/3 Cup was my capacity, no more. If I didn't measure my food and ate even a little more....ouch. Now I can eyeball it better, but even more importantly I have learned my body's signal "that's enough," and I stop. Unfortunately, your brain still doesn't catch up to your stomach signals for several minutes, so you can't rely on your brain to tell you when to stop. For some people, they burp. Others, hiccup. Some get a pain in their chest or shoulder, or sneeze, or get a runny nose. You will have to learn your own body's signals. For me, it's very subtle and not a feeling I can really put into words, I just know I have to stop--not one more bite. Sometimes I burp or hiccup, but not usually. I push my plate away, and within 5 minutes I feel the tightness in my sleeve and that feeling of fullness and I'm glad I didn't try to eat another bite. :)

Thank you!! I feel my chest getting tight and I know to stop right then! I have only are refried Beans but less than a 1/4 cup keeps me full forever!

You will definitely feel the restriction! My surgeon's dietician told me that after ALL weight loss surgeries, the stomach capacity is basically the same.

As in my post above, you will have to learn your body's new signals. You CAN overeat if you eat too fast and don't pay attention. But if you do, you will feel miserable for hours....and you won't want to do it again!

My surgery was last Tuesday ...no pain with the surgery itself BUT unbelievable pain in my chest and left shoulder while I was in hospital. I've had previous abdominal sxs but had always experienced the normal gas in my tummy. This pain was the worst...I walked a lot and now today (Saturday) I am ravenous! I'm able to easily drink 48 oz of Water, without a burp and am able to tolerate anything I eat...shakes, Jello, broth. I went cold turkey on the pain Meds when I left the hospital on Thursday, and have been climbing my stairs without a problem. The only real problem is the pain in my chest when I breathe in deeply...and the fear that I still have the ability to eat like a horse...no gas from tummy or burping whatsoever...I can't believe I'm hungry already... Most of my fellow sleeves tell me they have to force food and Water down.....I don't know who is luckier...me or them! At least they still feel restricted......

My surgery was last Tuesday ...no pain with the surgery itself BUT unbelievable pain in my chest and left shoulder while I was in hospital. I've had previous abdominal sxs but had always experienced the normal gas in my tummy. This pain was the worst...I walked a lot and now today (Saturday) I am ravenous! I'm able to easily drink 48 oz of Water, without a burp and am able to tolerate anything I eat...shakes, Jello, broth. I went cold turkey on the pain Meds when I left the hospital on Thursday, and have been climbing my stairs without a problem. The only real problem is the pain in my chest when I breathe in deeply...and the fear that I still have the ability to eat like a horse...no gas from tummy or burping whatsoever...I can't believe I'm hungry already... Most of my fellow sleeves tell me they have to force food and Water down.....I don't know who is luckier...me or them! At least they still feel restricted......

You will get hungry while on liquids only. Once you start purees you will feel the restriction.

I was surprised too at first, as I wasnt expecting to feel hunger for a long time, and I was worried there was something wrong with my surgery. All worries went out the window once I was able to eat something a little more solid.

It very much depends on the density of the food. Clear Liquids don't make me full. A thick Protein shake will keep me full for a couple hours. Some refried Beans lasts about 4 hours, and some chicken or fish can keep me full for up to 6 hours.

I got concerned early on during liquids and purée phase. I though, omg I am not satisfied with the small amounts my NUT recommend in the first few weeks. Once I got to normal food, I was surprised at the restriction from what I though were soft foods. My eyes were big but my tummy is not anymore and if I overdid by one bite I get discomfort so restriction will become more apparent as you eat more normal textures