Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

18 months out...finding the right balance

Hey all,

Haven't checked into the forums in a while, as as my 18-month anniversary comes up and I've been dealing with challenges, thought I'd pop in to do some reading. So happy I did; think this will have to be part of my maintenance.

Have been slipping since the fall in the weight category...was down to 209 at one point last August, stabilized at 215-220 for several months in the fall, was up to 238 over the winter, and seem to be camped in the 230-235 range now. Winter was rough; couldn't get out to run. Spring was nonexistent here in the northeast, and then my knees hurt running, so the exercise has been more elliptical and less running.

Hoping to get back down to 220ish and maintain along there. I'm 6-6, so when I see the 209 photos, I think I went a wee bit too far. But it was scary how the weight came back on, and now life is about finding a balance. I can basically eat anything...the only thing that hurt my tiny tummy is apple peel...and this is obviously good and bad news.

Liked the links to the 5:2 plan. Will have to give that a try.

All a head game. The only easy day was yesterday.

- Jeff

Jeff,

There are tons of other sports outside of running. Have you thought about a local community center that is cheaper or a gym that goes month by month in the winter? Swimming, biking, all ways to help out. Weight lifting also.

You didn't say if you were recording what you ate and drank.

Oh yeah, I use MyFitnessPal daily. I'm aiming for the 1,800-2,200 range daily.

Currently working up to a mud run too, so doing push-ups, dumbbells, etc. in training.

It's the 7pm - 11pm witching hours that kill me. Rest of the day is fine.

Hi Jeff,

Welcome back! For me, I think it's all about having a small window for goal weight. I found it's too easy to let it creep up when the window is bigger. By the time I think it's too much, I have already been overeating and have to break that habit.

I'm a foot shorter than you and small boned. My window is 2 lbs either side of goal weight. Have to admit, the lower end is never a problem for me :-). I started with a window of 5 lbs either side of goal weight, but that was too much for me.

The goal weight itself is personal. whatever you pick , it's more about staying there when you arrive. I picked 135. When I first got to 135, it looked different than it does now on me. I think after that rapid weight loss, it takes a while for things to settle down. In the second year, my face filled out a bit, even though my weight was stable.

I weigh every morning and cut back on treats and higher calorie Proteins when I don't like what I see. And I usually realize about then I haven't been drinking enough fluids.

Lynda

Oh yeah, I use MyFitnessPal daily. I'm aiming for the 1,800-2,200 range daily.

Currently working up to a mud run too, so doing push-ups, dumbbells, etc. in training.

It's the 7pm - 11pm witching hours that kill me. Rest of the day is fine.

Welcome back Jeff, this place really helps me to stay on my toes. Its all too easy to let things just float up without even really noticing until the damage is done. MFP is a big help to me as well. I gained 22, then got it off with the 5:2. I try and plan a snack/desert for the PM to help me finish my day full and happy....then I have something to grab when the "witching hour" shows up.

You know, I think normal, never obese people have similiar struggles. They key is they get in front of it while it is a few pounds...not 100. Kudos to you for your success and I am sure you will get back to your ideal weight very soon!

You know, I think normal, never obese people have similiar struggles. They key is they get in front of it while it is a few pounds...not 100. Kudos to you for your success and I am sure you will get back to your ideal weight very soon!

Most definitely! I used to get some irritated with people who would say "I k owwhat you mean! I really need to lose 5-10 pounds!" I would always think FIVE TO TEN POUNDS! I could do that by without trying! Lol.

Now, we ARE those folks! Ha! Keep at it,Jeff. As Lynda, Kim and Sheryl said it's the not letting it get out of control. I'm doing the same thing right now. :)

I follow 2 rules when I think I may lose control or start to gain:

track sugar grams and try to keep added sugar grams less than 25g per day

stop grazing. make sure at least 3 hours between eating.

the first rule always make my weight come back in line. the second rule gets me back in control.

Playlike that is an outstanding and simple idea. Love that one.

I think the "witching hour" haunts so many of us. As feedyoureye said, and for me as well, planning my evening snack has been the key for me. Long ago now, I quit fighting it, or beating myself up for it, or thinking that "if only" I could conquer this demon, etc. It's made me feel much more in control of my choices and much less in the deprivation state of mind.

With all the progess you've made, you know what you need to do to recommit to your eating plan and to spiffy back up your WLS lifestyle. For many of us (me) it's those sneaky processed starchy carbs that so innocently inch their way back into our lives.

You've already taken the most important steps--recognizing that you expect better of yourself - - AND -- coming back to BP. Carry on!

Thanks all. Didn't mean to post and disappear. Been busy. :) Appreciate the tips and support. The fact that my skinny clothes still fit is perplexing, as I feel I've gained so much from my low. No one's commented on the gain. Part of wonders if this is just where I should be. I just dunno.

I gained back 15 and lost it with the 5:2 plan. That plan really showed me how destructive snacking at night really is. Once I pick a cut off time for eating, I just have to keep telling myself if I have a snack it's going to show on the scale tomorrow.

I can relate so well. I have gained back about 7 pounds before catching myself. In the old days 7 pounds was just a good weekend but know I can feel the difference even though my clothes still fit and no one else has noticed. The key is catching it early on like others have mentioned. Night time is the very devil for me too. The planned snack doesn't work for me because it just makes me crave more. I think I am going to try a cut off time. I think exercise is also a reason that the pounds isn't much more. The balancing act continues. I do think checking in here for support helps a lot.

I do think checking in here for support helps a lot.

Amen. I was actually thinking this AM that since I popped back on here, I've been much more focused.

I like the boards because I get the benefit of people at different times, different surgeons, different perspectives. Makes for better experiences.