Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was sleeved on 4/25. But for the past week i have been really, really hungry. For example, last nite I woke up from my sleep twice bc I was so hungry.

I've learned to distinguish between head hunger & actual hunger bc I totally ignore head hunger (it's hard, but I push thru)

I thought the ghrelin (the hormone that causes hunger)was eliminated when we got the sleeve. Did they forget to take my ghrelin?

Is anyone else hungry?????

are you getting in all your Protein and Water? usually in the beginning, when you are hungry its because you aren't getting all your protein or water, or your blood sugar is low... i needed a little honey a few times from low blood sugar, but i have issues with hypoglycemia.

I was sleeved on 4/25. But for the past week i have been really, really hungry. For example, last nite I woke up from my sleep twice bc I was so hungry.

I've learned to distinguish between head hunger & actual hunger bc I totally ignore head hunger (it's hard, but I push thru)

I thought the ghrelin (the hormone that causes hunger)was eliminated when we got the sleeve. Did they forget to take my ghrelin?

Is anyone else hungry?????

I understand, I was sleeved on may 7, and I get hungry as well!

I was sleeved on April 16th, I have had hunger since about a week after surgery. Real hunger because I have been getting my Protein in everyday and still feel hunger and I always drink some Water as soon as I feel hunger to make sure its not thirst. It gets easier to deal with. My friend that is 5 months out is just starting to feel hunger and now she has to learn to deal with that whereas I have dealt with it since I started this journey so its getting easier. I eat every 2 to 3 hours but it's always protein and a small amount hope it gets easier for you as well.

I'm 10 mths out and my hunger returned on day 10. I thought, for 10 days, I was one of the lucky ones that loses my hunger. Wasn't meant to be. About 50% of people lose their hunger either forever or for a long period (6-12 mths). The other 50% don't.

While Ghrelin is produced in the part of the stomach they remove, it's also produced in the pancreas and brain. I think (as the liver takes over for the gall bladder once removed) the brain and pancreas take over.

People would give me the advice to take a PPI cuz it was stomach acid. Not only am I on 40mg of Prilosec 2x a day, I'm 46 and know the difference between hunger and acid. It WILL get worse eventually. It WILL get better as u move on to real food (a small amt of food will fill u quickly but I always got hungry soon - usually within 90 mins). After several months, when ur stomach relaxes, ull be even hungrier. Ull be able to eat more. So u really need to learn healthy eating habits now before it gets out of control

Good luck to u!

Mrs. Fox I'm so sorry to hear about your hunger. I was sleeved on 4/8/14 and I have the opposite problem. I'm not very hungry even at 6 weeks post op. This is causing problems for me getting in my Protein. I finally started meeting my protein goals over the past few days. Are you drinking your protein early in the day & every time you eat? I wish you luck on your journey!

Thanks everyone for your responses. I love the support on this site.

I drink an 8ounce Protein shake almost every day. It takes me the entire day to drink it bc I HATE the taste of Protein shakes (I've tried damn near all brands).

Then I spend the rest of the day trying to get in 2-20 ounce bottles of Water. As far as food goes. I nibble on red potatoes & chicken or shrimp all day. I've always bn lactose intolerant, so cheeses are not my friend.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I love the support on this site.

I drink an 8ounce Protein shake almost every day. It takes me the entire day to drink it bc I HATE the taste of Protein shakes (I've tried damn near all brands).

Then I spend the rest of the day trying to get in 2-20 ounce bottles of Water. As far as food goes. I nibble on red potatoes & chicken or shrimp all day. I've always bn lactose intolerant, so cheeses are not my friend.

i dont think you are getting in all your protein. if you are getting in 60 grams of protein, i am guessing you wont be hungry. you should be aiming for 64 ounces of Water too. i would avoid potatoes until you are able to get in all your protein. when you can get in your water and protein, you will feel full.